Recently IIT Bombay released GATE results 2023 on March 16 after 4 pm. GATE is platform 9 ¾ for students aspiring for master’s and doctoral degrees by breaking the magical wall, In this case, cracking the GATE exam. GATE CSE is an entrance exam for undergraduate students aiming to study at the postgraduate or doctorate level in computer science or jobs in Public Sector Units (PSUs). Based on the applicant’s rank in GATE students can take admitted to IIT & IISc institutes. Some students start preparing for the GATE exam at least a year before. One of the essential tricks to clear the GATE CSE exam is to refer to the right books.
Also Read: GATE Preparation Tips
|Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice questions & Numerical answer type|
|No. of sections||General Aptitude
Engineering Mathematics (Chemistry for XL Exams)
|Language of Exam||English|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Exam Type||Entrance Test|
Before we move forward to the best GATE books for CSE, let’s see the syllabus & marking scheme of GATE CSE.
About GATE Exam
A national-level exam called the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering). is held for applicants seeking admission to Master’s degrees, postgraduate engineering (ME/M.Tech), or analysis programmes at prestigious Indian institutions like the IITs, NITs, IIITs, etc.
Why GATE Exam is Important?
Engineering students prepare for the GATE exam because there are countless possibilities available to engineers after clearing it.
- The PSUs have decided that a GATE Exam Score shall be the primary criteria for first shortlisting as a result of the exponential growth in the number of engineering graduates in India seeking PSU employment; this is a major factor as to Why GATE Exam is an Important.
- Students can apply for M.E./ M.Tech./ PhD admission to the best universities in the nation, including 23 IITs, 31 NITs, and renowned universities like IISc Bangalore, IITs, BITS Pilani, and VIT Vellore, using their GATE exam scores.
- Additionally, students can pursue master’s degrees at a number of overseas institutions, such as the Technical University of Munich, Nanyang Technological University, and the National University of Singapore. and many more prestigious Universities.
Syllabus for GATE CSE
|Computer Organization and Architecture||12%|
|Programming and Data Structures||13%|
|Theory of Computation||10%|
*Exam weightage fluctuates with every exam, this is a general estimation of exam weightage
Also Read: GATE Syllabus for CSE
Important Gate Books For CSE topic wise
|Engineering Mathematics||Higher Engineering Mathematics||B. S. Grewal|
|Digital Logic||Digital Logic & Computer Design||Morris Mano|
|computer Organization and Architecture||Computer Organization and Architecture||Hamacher, Vranesic, Zaky|
|Programming and Data Structures||Classic Data Structures||Debasis Samanta|
|Algorithms||Introduction to Algorithms||Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein|
|Theory of Computation||An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata||Peter Linz|
|Compiler Design||Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools||Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, D. Jeffrey Ulman|
|Operating Systems||Operating System Concepts||Silberschatz, Galvin, Gagne|
|Databases||Databases Concepts||Silberschatz, Sudarshan, Korth|
|Computer Network||Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach||James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross|
|General Aptitude||A Modern Approach to Verbal
& Non-Verbal Reasoning
Also Read: 7 Ways to do MTech Without GATE
Which Book is the Best for You?
Now that you know the best books for GATE, let’s see which one is the best book for GATE for you!!
- Most Popular among students
- It covers topics like algebra, calculus, differential equations, complex analysis, transforms, and numerical techniques
- Contains solved and unsolved equations for practice
- Good for beginners
- Covers switching circuits & digital systems
- Principles of digital computer organization
Also Read: Best Books For GATE
- Easy to understand difficult topics with the help of various examples
- The mix of hardware and software topics
- Principles of computer organization
- Recommended at various engineering colleges in India
- Representation, operation & application of data structures
- To improve and test your knowledge after every chapter exercise questions are present
Also Read: All About the GATE Scholarship
Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein
- Builds a foundation for algorithm & data structures
- Detailed knowledge of algorithms
- Able to understand better with the help of examples
- Focused on illustrative examples
- Easy to understand language
- Fundamentals & theories of computer science
- Also known as Dragon book
- Concepts of software engineering, programming languages, and computer architecture
- Covers all the recent and past updates of the field
- Fundamentals of operating systems
- Covers security and programming
- Projects and exercises to enhance the skills
- Covers Database language, system, design, and application
- Includes history of database systems
- Exercise at the end of each chapter for self-evaluation
- Combination of current and fitting network technologies
- Covers protocols and concepts of networking
- Includes different layers and networks
- Based on the latest examination pattern
- Solved questions with detailed explanations
- Contains question from different examination
Also Read: GATE vs GRE: Which is Better?
Some more GATE books for CSE
These books contain overall topics for GATE CSE & a great choice for preparation as well as practice.
- GATE Computer Science & Information Technology by GKP, G.K. Pub
- A Handbook for Computer Science /IT Engineering by Made Easy publications
- Graph Theory with Applications to Engineering and Computer Science by Deo and Narsingh, Prentice Hall India Learning Private Limited
- GATE Practice Sets by Pearson
- Software Engineering: A Practitioner’s Approach by Pressman
- Database Management Systems – DBMS by Korth.
- Computer Algorithms by Ellis Horowitz.
Also Read: GATE Eligibility
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Yes, applicants are eligible to apply if they have a provisional degree.
Ans. Yes, distance education applicants are also eligible for GATE
Ans. Applicants can try as many times as they desire.
Ans. The required CGPA is 8.5 or above for GATE ExMINA
Ans. Yes, applicants can be placed in PSUs
Ans. No, there is no negative marking in NTAs
There are a variety of books available in the market and online to prepare for GATE CSE and it becomes difficult to choose the right ones, With the help of the right GATE books for CSE & determination you can crack the GATE CSE and be part of elite universities/ colleges. All the best from Leverage Edu!