We always get to hear that the best actors are produced in drama institutes. Drama and Performing Arts are subjects with wonderful opportunities where you explore your innate talent of acting and develop the skill until it becomes your profession. Drama is the field of exploration and endless possibilities. Performing on stage is not everyone’s cup of tea with a small number of people actually making it to the top. However, choosing the right drama school to begin your career can actually help you embark on the journey where accolades and applauses are waiting for you.
Also Read: Fine Arts Courses
Why Choose Drama as a Career?
Artists are driven by passion, had it not been so, we would not have legendary actors like Charlie Chaplin, Heath Ledger, Meryl Streep, to name a few. Performers express themselves and represent the society in the form of art. To give the vent to their artistic expressions, artists are constantly in search of a stage to perform, where people admire their art. Drama as an art form has evolved massively over the centuries. With booming growth in the film industry, the need for artists has grown. Depending on the area of specialization, there is a multitude of opportunities for drama enthusiasts. A career in Drama is exciting, explorative and highly adaptable.
What do We Learn in a Drama Course?
A course in Drama teaches you the intricacies of acting and theatre. Being in a drama school, you can expect to learn the following aspects of drama and theatre:
- Performance Techniques
- History of the Dramatic Arts
- Dialects and Accents
- Playwriting and Screenwriting
- Drama Theories
Top 5 Drama Schools
Building a professional career in drama can be challenging, but if you have exceptional skills and a degree from a revered institution, it will add to your portfolio. Let’s take a look at some of the leading drama schools that you can consider when planning to advance in dramatics:
- The Juilliard School of Drama, New York: The first name that comes to our mind when we hear the word ‘drama school’ is that of The Juilliard School of Drama. Renowned for producing method actors, commercial artists and playwrights, the school is known to be a premier institution for imparting quality education in dramatics and theatre. The tuition fee for an academic year in Dramatics at Julliard is around ₹33 lakh.
- Tisch School of Arts, New York: The New York University’s Tisch School of Arts is dedicated to helping students to understand every detail associated with dramatics and performing arts. If you are planning to pursue a rigorous degree in drama, then Tisch is the ideal place to lay the foundation of your career. A Bachelor of Fine Arts in Drama at the institute will cost you around ₹25 lakh for an academic year.
- National Institute of Dramatics, Sydney: The NIDA offers a Bachelor of Dramatic Arts aiming to equip students with professional skills in dramatics to help them formulate their own acting style and methods. The institute has an impeccable record of graduates working in Hollywood.
- London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, London: The oldest drama school having entered 158th year since its foundation, LAMDA is a prestigious institute revered for offering a variety of foundation courses, undergraduate degrees and master’s degree programs.
- School of Drama, Yale University, Connecticut: The Yale University’s School of Drama has a range of specialized courses like Dramaturgy and Dramatic Criticism, Playwrighting, Acting and Design. The school has been admired among the top drama schools for producing notable professionals.
Also Read: Best Summer Acting/Drama Programs
What can you do with a Degree in Drama?
After pursuing a degree course in Drama, you may wonder what to do next? Drama and Performing Arts are tremendously evolving fields providing you to an array of opportunities. Below-mentioned are some of the job profiles that you consider after a degree in Drama:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Broadcast Presenter
- Runner, Broadcasting/Film/Video
- Theatre Director
- Theatre Stage Manager
- Arts Administrator
It’s important for you to understand that hard work and dedication prevail over anything else, and if you can get into any of these schools, you might be as successful as any of those graduates. For more specific choices than just the best drama schools in the world, you reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu.