Chemistry forms an imperative element of our lives. The soaps we use, the palatable food we eat and the sodas we drink are all unique amalgamations of chemistry. Are you awestruck by how well-rooted chemistry is in our lives? This is why it is mainly incorporated in the core disciplines in secondary education to familiarise them with the exciting world of this scientific subject. As class 9 is referred to be the foundational step to moving on to the higher secondary level, the curriculum and syllabus of each discipline is curated meticulously and differs from one board to another. This blog aims to bring you an insightful breakdown and analysis of Class 9 ICSE Chemistry.
In class 9 ICSE, the chemistry exam would be of 100 marks in total. The exam is bifurcated between written examination and internal assessment. The theory exam comprises of the maximum marks of 80 while internal assessment is of 20 marks. Further, the written exam is divided into 2 parts of 40 marks each. Below mentioned are some internal divisions of written examination:
- The first section contains short answer questions from the entire syllabus of Class 9 ICSE Chemistry.
- The second section contains 6 questions from which students have to answer 4 questions.
Class 9 ICSE Chemistry Syllabus
The meticulously designed coursework by the ICSE aims to deliver the best of knowledge through their diverse chapters. In Class 9 ICSE Chemistry, there are a total of 7 chapters which have been described in the following sections:
The language of Chemistry
As the foundational chapter of Class 9 ICSE Chemistry, students will get to learn about concepts like:
- Valency: Definition, Hydrogen Combination and Electrons of Metals and Non-metals
- Compounds and Formulae
- Chemical Equations and Examples of a Chemical Equation, Balancing of Equations
Do you want to study abroad? Click Here for a Free Consultation Session!
Chemical Changes and Reactions
Through this unit of class 9 ICSE Chemistry, the following concepts given below are elaborated upon:
- Types of chemical changes like the direct combination, decomposition etc.
- Energy changes in chemical reactions like exothermic and endothermic reactions
The major topics of this unit are as follows:
- Water as a unique solvent- type of solutions
- Effect of temperature on the solubility of substances like potassium, calcium etc.
- Hydrated and anhydrous substances
- Various properties like Efflorescence, removal of hardness etc.
- Soft water and hard water
Following are some of the key components in class 9 ICSE Chemistry syllabus:
- Mass number, structure and atomic number of an atom
- Constituents of atoms like neutrons, protons, electrons etc.
- Electron distribution in various orbits
- Definition of isotopes
- Structure of compounds- electrovalent and covalent bonding
The Periodic Table
This unit aims to explain to the students about concepts like:
- General idea of Dobereiner’s triads, laws of octaves, Mendeleev’s contribution
- Discovery of atomic numbers and its uses
- Modern periodic tables with special emphasis on alkali metals and alkaline earth metals
Study of the First Element- Hydrogen
This chapter under the class 9 ICSE syllabus comprises of the below-given pointers:
- Position of the non-metals (hydrogen) in the periodic table
- Various forms of hydrogens like water, alkalis, dilute acid etc
- Action of hot water on magnesium
- The action of steam on non-metal
- Displacement of hydrogen from the dilute acids: sulphuric, magnesium, aluminium etc.
- Displacement of hydrogen from alkalis
- Methods of preparation and collection of hydrogen other than electrolysis
- Oxidation and reduction reactions
- Industrial manufacturing of hydrogen by Bosch process
In this unit of the chemistry syllabus, students will get to know about:
- Composition, cause and its impact of acid rain on various things
- High temperatures in furnaces and internal combustion
- Affect of acid rain on soil chemistry and water bodies
- Global warming: Greenhouse gases- sources and ways of controlling global warming
Note: Apart from the written examination and the internal assessment, students will also be performing the practicals for the following same chapters. The chemistry practical experiments will help students gain a better knowledge of the field and put their theoretical knowledge to test.
Check out the following related blogs on class 9 and class 10:
|Class 9 ICSE Maths||Class 9 ICSE Biology||Class 9 Science
|CBSE Class 9 Maths
|Class 9 ICSE
|Class 9 Geography
|List of Courses after
|Study in Canada
Thus, we hope that this blog has familiarized you about class 9 ICSE Chemistry syllabus. If you are confused regarding about choosing from the streams after 10th, reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and we’ll assist you in sorting out your interests and preferences and finding your ideal stream to take an informed step towards your dream career.