“A strong foundation is the key to creating long-term success.” Class 9th is one of the most crucial years of a student’s life which helps them build a strong foundation for advanced studies. Providing students with fundamental concepts pertaining to all the three major branches of science- Physics, Chemistry and Biology, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has designed the class 9 Science syllabus in such a way that it augments the spirit of creativity, objectivity, thinking ability and curiousness within the pupils. CBSE is one of the most popular and sought-after educational boards across India that always aimed for exposing students with a quality theoretical and practical knowledge which may benefit them in the upcoming years. Through this blog, let us provide you with an insight into everything you need to know about the theory part of the class 9 science syllabus.
This Blog Includes:
- Class 9 Science Syllabus: Theory
- CBSE Class 9 Science Syllabus Deleted 2020-2021: Theory
- Class 9 Science Syllabus: Practical
- CBSE Class 9 Science Practical Syllabus Deleted 2020-2021
Class 9 Science Syllabus: Theory
The theoretical part of the class 9 science syllabus comprises of 5 units, having different weightage. Given below is the table for better clarity.
|1.||Matter- Nature and Behaviour||23|
|2.||Organization in the Living World||20|
|3.||Motion, Force and Work||27|
Let us have a quick look at the aforementioned units of class 9 Science syllabus and the prominent topics under them.
Unit 1: Matter- Nature and Behaviour
This chapter under the class 9 science syllabus familiarized the students with matter and all the three states of matter. Below are some of the important chapters.
- Matter (definition, states of matter, characteristics, etc.)
- Nature of matter (compounds, elements, mixtures, homogenous, heterogeneous mixture, suspensions, etc.)
- Basic units of matter (atoms, molecules, molecular masses, mole concept, etc.)
- Structure of atoms (electrons, neutrons, protons, isotopes, isobars, valency, the chemical formula of common compounds)
|Matter in our Surroundings Class 9 Notes||Is Matter Around Us Pure Class 9 Notes|
|Class 9 Atoms And Molecules Study Notes||Structure Of An Atom – Class 9 Science Notes|
Unit 2: Organization in the Living World
The students though this unit of class 9 science syllabus are introduced to the basic unit of life through the following important topics.
- Cell- Basic Unit of Life (eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, cell wall, cell membrane, cell organelles, mitochondria, nucleus, chromosomes, etc.)
- Tissues, Organs, Organ Systems, Organisms (structure and function of plants and animal tissues, types of tissues, etc.)
- Biological Diversity (diversity of animals and plants, basis of classification, major groups of plants and animals, etc.)
- Health and Diseases (infectious and non-infectious diseases, diseases caused by microbes, principles of treatment and prevention, etc.)
Unit 3: Motion, Force and Work
This unit of class 9 Science syllabus introduces the students with all the basics of physics through the following prominent topics.
- Motion (velocity, acceleration, velocity-time graphs, uniform and non-uniform motion along a straight line, elementary idea of uniform circular motion, etc.)
- Force and Newton’s Laws ( Force and Motion, all the three Newton’s Law of Motion, inertia, momentum, force and acceleration, etc.)
- Gravitation (Universal Law of Motion, acceleration due to gravity, free fall, mass and weight, etc.)
- Floatation (Archimedes Principle, thrust and pressure, relative density, buoyancy, etc.)
- Work, energy and power (kinetic and potential energy, work done by force, law of conservation of energy, etc.)
- Sound (nature and speed of sound, ultrasound, reflection of sound, range of hearing of humans, structure of the human ear, etc.)
Unit 4: Our Environment
Studying this unit of class 9 Science syllabus makes the students aware of the environment around them. The following are the notable topics under this unit.
- Physical resources (air for respiration and combustion; air, water and soil pollution; holes in ozone layer, etc.)
- Bio-geo chemical cycles in nature (oxygen, carbon, nitrogen and water)
Unit 5: Food Production
Through this unit of class 9 science syllabus, the students will get to know about the production of foods through the following t[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]opics.
- Plant and animal breeding for improvement of the quality
- Use of manures and fertilizers
- Organic farming
- Protection from diseases and pests
CBSE Class 9 Science Syllabus Deleted 2020-2021: Theory
Since 30% deduction has been made owing to the current situation of the pandemic, it is vital for candidates to be aware of the revised syllabus released by the CBSE. Tabulated below is the CBSE class 9 science syllabus 2020-2021 deleted-
|Unit 1: Matter- Nature and Behaviour||Definition of matter, evaporation, change of sate-melting, freezing, solid, liquid and gas, characteristics-shape, volume, density; condensation, sublimation.|
|Unit 2: Organization in the Living World||Basis of classification, diversity of plants and animals, issues in scientific naming, hierarchy of categories/ groups, major grous of plants and animals.|
|Unit 3: Motion, Force and Work||Floatation: Elementary idea of Relative Density, Archimedes’ Principle, Buoyancy, Thrust and Pressure
Sound: Reflection of Sound, Ultrasound, Nature of Sound and its Propagation, Speed of Sound, Structure of the Human Ear
|Univit 5: Food Production||Use of Fertilizers and Manures, Organic Farming, Improvement in Food Resources, Plant and Animla Breeding, Protection form pests and diseases.|
|Unit 6: Our Environment||Air for Respiration, combustion, moderating temperatures; air, water and soil pollution; biolgeochemical cycles in nature.|
Class 9 Science Syllabus: Practical
CBSE Class 9 Science Practical Syllabus
Over the course of an academic year, due importnace is given to the practical learnig, especially in science. Mentioned below is the syllabus of practicals for class 9 science-
- Preparation of–
- Suspension of soil, fine sand and chalk powder in water
- True solution of sugar, alum and common salt
- A colloidal solution of egg albumin/ milk in water, the starch in water and distinguishing them on the basis of-
- Preparation of-
- A compound
- A mixture
Using iron filings and sulphur powder and creating distinguish between them of the basis of-
-Effect of Heat
-Reaction with a magnet
-Reaction with carbon disulphide as a solvent
- Separation of the various components of a mixture of common salt, sand and ammonium chloride.
- Observing physical and chemical changes of a given set of combinations.
- Preparation of temporary mount of onion peel and human cheek cells and observe their cell structure.
- Identification of a given set of plant tissues such as parenchyma, sclerenchyma and collenchyma and cardiac muscles and nerve cells in animals.
- Verification of the laws of reflection of sound.
- stating the melting and boiling point in the water and ice.
CBSE Class 9 Science Practical Syllabus Deleted 2020-2021
Here are the deleted topics from this section-
- Verification of the laws of reflection of sound.
- Stating the melting and boiling point in the water and ice
- Study of the external features of root, leaf, stem and flower of a dicot and monocot plants.
- Observe the given pictures of earthworm, bony fish, cockroach, and bird. For each organism, draw their picture and record:
-One particular feature of phylum
-One adaptive feature with reference to habitat
- Study of the characteristics of Spirogyra, Agaricus, Moss, Fern, Pinus (either with male or female cone) and an Angiospermic plant.
- Seperation of the various components of a mixture of common slat, sand and ammonium chloride.
- Determination of the speed of a pulse propagated through a stretched string/slinky
For more information about the class 9 science syllabus, visit the official website of CBSE by clicking here.
We believe that every student has the potential to achieve big in life, provided, they work hard with utmost dedication. If you are struggling with anything related to your education and require a good educational counselling, do not worry, just connect with Leverage Edu. Through the team of our expert mentors, we help you chase your dreams and achieve everything you had ever aimed for.