The path of financial independence and budgeting starts right from college day 1. Students must understand the need for planning and maintaining a budget. As important as it is to enjoy your moments in college, it is equally essential that you learn newer ways of saving money, taking responsibilities and growing up into a mature adult. Let’s discuss the many budgeting tips for students to make the process easier for you and go through the various tips and also learn how to make an ideal budget.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Budget?
A budget is an estimated list of revenue and expenses for a specific period. Making a budget depends on several things- available finances and your expenses. Budgets are used for organizations as big as the government or as small as oneself. Students must learn the basics of budgeting at an early age. Some students are great at saving while some students go a little extra or over budget. This often results in loans and burdens which certainly affects the academic career. We have tried to bring you a systematic guide to develop your budget.
The simplest definition of a budget is “telling your money where to go.” – Tsh Oxenreider
Why is Budgeting Important for Students?
Before going into how to make budgets, let us try to understand why budgeting is critically important. Since college is the phase of focusing on education and giving exams, balancing finances and study can be a struggle. Hence, the budgeting reasons are given below:
- Maintaining financial balance helps in focusing more on studies and less on worrying about pending bills.
- A proper budget can help in making good academic decisions like choosing what books to buy and what not to buy.
- Budgeting also helps in making career decisions such as working in a part-time job.
- Setting financial goals is as important as career goals since balanced finance helps in achieving the latter goals.
- Your expense decisions determine your future life.
Explore the International Internships for Indian Students
How Does Budgeting Help?
Now let us look at how budgeting for students in every situation. These are some of the key areas which will benefit from your habit of making a budget and strictly following it.
- Achieving the goals: If you wish to achieve the academic goals, it is obvious to follow and achieve the financial goals.
- Identifying finances: Budgeting for students gives the clarity to identify the priority areas for the expense.
- Planning and saving: If you keep track of your monthly or weekly expenses, you would be able to design the structure of your expenses and increase savings.
- Avoid burdens and loans: By monitoring your money carefully, you can avoid unnecessary bills and pending payments.
How to Make a Budget?
Since now we are aware of how budgeting tips for students, let’s focus on creating an ideal budget that works with every student going to college.
- The first step is to keep track of the income and expenses. Students spend money as soon as they receive it in their bank accounts. This habit certainly affects the entire month. Keep track of the scholarships you get and the loan you have to pay.
- Making a budget planner is the second most critical step. Add your incomes and calculate your expenses. You must also try to save for emergency purposes.
- The final and most important step of making a budget is to follow it religiously. Making a budget is easier but following it throughout the year is hectic. But if you keep yourself consistent and avoid unnecessary expenses, you can maintain a healthy financial status.
Beware of little expenses; a little leak will sink a great ship. – Benjamin Franklin
- Application tools: Going with the advanced technology, students can track their expenses using Excel spreadsheets or they can also go for budgeting apps– Mint, pocket guard, acorns, left to spend, and similar other useful apps.
- Student discounts: Students should also avail the discounts offered to them at different places where they eat, shop, or have fun. They can avail the student discount on entertainment, transportation, shopping, sports, dining, car insurance, technology, and similar other basic requirements.
- Campus programs: The campus or universities also offer certain pocket-friendly programmes for their students. They provide free websites for educational resources. Sometimes they offer financial aid in case of emergencies. These funds come from emergency aid programs. Students must ensure the terms and conditions before signing any such agreement. The food bank program in universities helps students to eat their fill without worrying much. Even in low-income situations, students can study tension-free without worrying about food requirements.
Budgeting Strategies for Students
No matter how much you try to make a budget and stick to it, you need to learn the tips on saving money:
- Track your expenses: Be very careful about where you spend. Too much eating outside and excursions can strain your monthly budget.
- Identify your needs and wants: Many students confuse what is needed by them and what they desire to buy. Relying on homemade coffee is better than Starbucks in such a situation.
- Avoid debt: No matter what, try to avoid loans from others. Keep a handful of savings at the time where you are cashless
- Attend student-friendly events: Budgeting doesn’t mean getting a boring life. Rather it is smart to look on for free events with free food and drinks for students.
- Create expense categories: Divide your money according to your monthly names such as tuition fees, textbooks, groceries, rent, bills, entertainment, and so on.
- Reward yourself: On achievement of budgeting, reward yourself with the savings with whatever you want.
Why Do International Students have Budget Tracks?
International students need to follow strict budgeting due to several factors such as:
- Heavy expenses on rent, groceries, bills, books, travelling, and other necessities
- Saving for emergency uses such as Airways ticket, health-based issues, any other need
- Repaying the heavy education loan for abroad studies
- For a complete focus on academics, free from financial stress
These are some of the important budgeting tips for students. Confused about education loans and student finances? Get in touch with our experts at Leverage Finance by Leverage Edu to finance your study abroad dream.