Entrepreneurship is not just a job but an attitude and a way of life. Those who have the knack of turning the tides in their favour by taking the plunge make their mark. Anupam Mittal is the creator of the People Group (Shaadi.com), as well as an investor and entrepreneur. His popularity has recently shot up from his appearances on ABC’s Shark Tank as a judge. In this blog, we’ll unravel Anupam Mittal’s life narrative and success, which has encouraged numerous young entrepreneurs to pursue their entrepreneurial dreams in India’s burgeoning start-up ecosystem!
This Blog Includes:
Early Life and Education
Born to a Marwadi family on December 23, 1971, Anupal had a humble beginning. He travelled to the United States in the mid-1990s after completing his education to pursue his MBA in Operations and Strategic Management at Boston College. He then went on to work as a Product Manager for Micro Strategy, a business intelligence software startup. His profession had only just begun, therefore he returned to India only once a year, primarily to relax.
Laying the Roots for People Group & Shaadi.com
Since Anupam didn’t have much else to do when he returned to India after his studies, he used to sit in his father’s office and do web development work for other companies. Simultaneously, he met one of those old-school matchmakers who will go to any extent to marry you. He attempted to place Anupam with some of his customers in order to safeguard his reputation. When the matchmaker was at the top of his game, Anupam had a notion that changed his life forever.
Now, as he was trying to get rid of the matchmaker, the idea came to Anupam. What if there was a portal that could act as a virtual matchmaker for weddings? What if all of the requirements of a person in their partner was uploaded on the Internet and made available to everyone looking for a bride or groom? Not only would this eliminate all inefficiencies and geographical limitations, but it would also substantially simplify the process.
Rise to Fame
Anupam has been the CEO of People Group since its inception, and the company is now one of India’s most inventive and profitable businesses. Its shaadi.com is the largest matrimonial site in India, and one of the most popular websites on the internet today. Shaadi.com, an Indian online wedding service, began as Sagaai.com in 1997. Anupam Mittal eventually changed the company’s name to Shaadi.com.
Despite ups and downs, Anupam rose to become one of the most successful names in his industry within 15 years. As Indians were more cautious and reticent to create arranged marriages through a new business, Shaadi.com’s first success was limited to non-resident Indians. The company’s primary markets are India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, although it also operates in Canada, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States. According to reports, Shaadi.com became the world’s biggest Asian matrimonial website in 2008, reaching a milestone of a million users by 2011. The company now has over 30 million customers and 3.2 million success tales all across the world.
Companies of Anupam Mittal
- Anupam Mittal founded Makaan.com, one of the most popular sites for online real estate, in addition to Shaadi.com.
- Following the restriction of Tiktok in India, Anupam launched Mauj, a short video-sharing app that is now one of India’s most popular video apps.
- Anupam is also the founding Co-chair of H2 India and a founder member and past chairman of the Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
- From 1998 until 2002, Anupam worked for MicroStrategy as a Product Manager.
- He also serves on the board of directors of LetsVenture Online.
- He also works as a consultant for Grip and Kae Capital. He serves as an Advisor for ShaadiSaga. He served on the Board of Directors of Zepo.
Anupam Mittal on Shark Tank India
Anupam Mittal is currently an investor on Sonyliv’s business reality show Shark Tank India. He’s one of the show’s Sharks, and he’ll be investing in the companies he likes during the show.
Source: SET India
Anupam Mittals Achievements
- Received the Karamveer Puraskar
- Business Week named him one of India’s “50 Most Powerful People.”
- Listed in the ‘Top 100 North American NRIs’
- IT People named him “Entrepreneur of the Year.”
- ‘The Week’ Magazine named him one of the ’25 People to Watch’.
- For the years 2012, 2013, and 2014, he was named to the IMPACT Digital Power 100 list.
This was all about the founder of People Group, Anupam Mittal. Hope you all found the blog worth reading and thought-provoking. For more inspirational blogs, Do follow Leverage Edu on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, and LinkedIn.