Students planning to study abroad to pursue their education will have to go through several processes to reach their final destination. These processes include – English Language Tests, educational and financial documents, and most importantly study-abroad visas. The following article will throw light on the definition, requirements, application process, and types of study abroad visas. The students will also get to know what to do in case their study abroad visa gets rejected.
This Blog Includes:
- Study Abroad Visa – Definition
- Requirements for Study Abroad Visa
- Application Process for Study Abroad Visa
- Types of Study Abroad Visa in Different Countries
- What to do in case of Rejection of Study Abroad Visa?
- What to do if the Study Abroad Visa gets Rejected?
- Guidelines for Study Abroad Visa
Study Abroad Visa – Definition
A study abroad visa is a document that allows a student to study a course in a foreign country. This visa is usually issued for short time intervals. The validity of this visa depends upon which course the student is going to pursue and in which university or college. However, the maximum validity is up to 5 years. This visa also allows a student to work as a part-time worker in a foreign country.
Also Read: UK Student Visa 2023-24
Requirements for Study Abroad Visa
Requirements for a study abroad visa depend on the country the student belongs to and the country they are applying for. Students should keep ready the following documents for study abroad visa application:
- Passport – The passport should be valid for at least six months while applying for the visa.
- Study Abroad Visa Application Form– The students are required to fill out the application form with their details.
- Passport size Photographs – The candidates are required to submit a few recent passport-size photographs
- Admission Proof – Students should submit their letter of admission or any enrollment records to show that they have been accepted for a study program in their destination country.
- Proof of Funds – In order to apply the candidates must prove that they can financially support themselves during their course of study.
- Civil Documents – Students will have to submit their birth certificate, marriage certificate (if any), and CV.
- Health Insurance of International Students – This depends upon the country that the student wants to take admission in, they might be required to purchase a health insurance plan, that covers the entire period of their studies.
Application Process for Study Abroad Visa
The students aspiring to study overseas must check the application process for a study abroad visa:
- Candidates are required to apply for the study program they wish to take admission
- Contact the embassy or consulate and make an appointment.
- Gather all the required documents.
- Submit the visa application fees.
- Attend visa interview.
Types of Study Abroad Visa in Different Countries
There are different types of visas in different countries. Students aspiring to study abroad should apply for a study abroad visa as per the country:
In order to qualify for the study abroad visa in the UK, the candidate’s study program must meet the course requirements depending on whether they are a full-time or a part-time student. They are also required to provide evidence of language proficiency. There are 3 types of UK student visas – child visa, general visa, & short-term study visa.
The study abroad visa in the USA is also known as an F1 student visa, and its validity is up to one year. If your study program is extended for a longer period, then in that case the F1 visa must be renewed. In order to qualify for this type of visa, the student must first be registered with the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
The Canadian study abroad visa is valid for the length of your program course plus an extra 90 days, which allows the student to get affairs in order before going back home. To qualify for the study abroad visa in Canada, the student has to be admitted to a Canadian institution and meet the financial requirements. Check the types of visas in Canada – visitor visa, student visa, work visa, permanent residence visa, and business immigrant visa.
Australia issues a study abroad visa (subclass 500 visa) for five years. The student must be studying in an Australian institution and provide a certificate for language proficiency tests to get this visa.
A study abroad visa for Germany is valid for three or six months, depending on the student’s study plans. Usually, if a study abroad visa is for long term then after entering the country, he/she can apply for a temporary student residence permit, and a visa is no longer needed. Know about the types of visas in Germany- Visitor visa, working visa, business visa, medical treatment visa, studying and language learning visa, airport transit visa, training or internship visa.
Also Read: What is a Student Visa and How to Apply?
What to do in case of Rejection of Study Abroad Visa?
The visa can be denied because of the following reasons:
- The application was incomplete
- Not submitted any proof of financial support
- The student has a criminal record
- The student’s passport was not valid for the visa
- The students did not enrol themselves in any institution
What to do if the Study Abroad Visa gets Rejected?
The candidates are required to re-apply for the visa. Before submitting another application, make sure to identify the reasons for rejection and ensure not repeat them. However, it should also be kept in mind that the deadline to enter the country can be missed for your study program if your visa gets rejected. In that case, contact the admissions office and let them know your issues regarding the visa and see if they can give you an extension.
Guidelines for Study Abroad Visa
The students should keep in mind the following guidelines in order to avoid rejection of:
- Candidates are allowed to work for limited hours (usually 20 hours per week) in campus jobs.
- Students should attend all their classes (unless there is an emergency).
- In case the student has a scholarship, they have to maintain a specific GPA.
- The candidates will not be allowed to stay after their visa expires.
- Students cannot apply for permanent residence under a student visa.
Also Read: Student Visa Australia Age Limit
Most countries allow an extension on study-abroad visas. However, there are some conditions that the students are required to follow before applying for it. For instance, to apply for an extension on an F-1 visa in the US, the student must be a full-time student and should have attended more than five months of classes.
In that case, the student will have to contact their institution and see if their enrolment can be deferred to the next academic year.
A visa can be rejected if the student has submitted an incomplete application, has criminal records, incomplete documents, etc.
We hope you now understand what is study abroad visa is. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu and we will guide you on your dream journey!