PGCert Cardiovascular Science enables people from varied healthcare disciplines to learn about state-of-the-art technologies, the latest theoretical and clinical developments, and skills to take care of cardiovascular patients. This programme is ideal for healthcare professionals and people with medical backgrounds aspiring to learn about new techniques and technologies in the field of cardiology.
|Course||PGCert Cardiovascular Science|
|Degree||Post Graduate Certificate (PgCert)|
|Program Duration||6 months to 1 year|
|Areas of Study||Heart and Respiratory System and related ailments|
|Job Opportunities||Clinical Nurse SpecialistsPhysiotherapistsDieticiansPhysical Activity Specialists Public Health Specialists Sports ScientistsOccupational Therapists|
This Blog Includes:
- What is Cardiovascular Science?
- Why Study PGCert Cardiovascular Science?
- Universities Offering PGCert Cardiovascular Science
- Basic Eligibility Criteria
- Documents Required
- PGCert Cardiovascular Science Program Structure
- Fees of PGCert Cardiovascular Science Programmes
- Career Opportunities
What is Cardiovascular Science?
Cardiovascular Science includes the study of coronary heart disease, angina pectoris, restenosis, and atherosclerosis. This branch of science includes the study of cardiac arrest; disorders of the heart valves- the tricuspid valve, the aortic valve, the pulmonary valve, and the mitral valve; ailments related to blood vessels-varicose veins, aneurysms, and deep vein thrombosis; disorders of the pericardium (outer lining of the heart); and congenital heart defects that include ventricular septal defect and atrial septal defect. Cardiovascular Science also covers devices used in cardiology- stethoscope, different types of balloons, pacemakers, and defibrillators.
Why Study PGCert Cardiovascular Science?
PGCert Cardiovascular helps students acquire a detailed understanding of cardiovascular health and diseases. The course will enable students to specialise in specific areas and attain leadership roles in their specialisation. Opting for this course can improve the lives of people living with cardiovascular diseases. The program’s curriculum is ideal for health professionals in the prevention of heart and respiratory ailments.
- PGCert Cardiovascular Science is designed to equip students with the essential clinical skills of Cardiology. The course also provides theoretical and service aspects of the subject.
- After completing the course, students will become more capable and efficient in managing their patients. Students will gain appreciation in the clinical field of cardiology, owing to the unique skills acquired by degree holders during the course.
- Students will be exposed to healthcare professionals worldwide, helping them build an international network.
Universities Offering PGCert Cardiovascular Science
Some of the universities offering this course, or closely related, are mentioned below, along with their QS rankings 2023.
|Universities||QS World University Rankings 2023||Courses Offered|
|Edge Hill University||–||PGCert Advanced Cardiothoracic Care|
|Brighton and Sussex Medical School||–||PGCert Cardiology|
|University College London||8th||PGCert Physiotherapy Studies: CardiorespiratoryPGCert Advanced Physiotherapy Studies: Cardiorespiratory|
|Middlesex University||751st||PGCert EchocardiographyPGCert Cardiac UltrasoundPGCert Cardiac Rhythm Management and Electrophysiology|
|The Plymouth University||651-700||PGCert Cardiology|
|University of Leeds||86th||PGCert Cardiac Device and Rhythm Management|
|Brunel University London||412th||PGCert Advanced Clinical Practice (Cardiovascular Health)|
|Trinity College Dublin||98th||PGCert Specialist Practice (Cardiovascular)|
|University of Bristol||61st||PGCert Translational Cardiovascular Medicine|
|University of Exeter||163rd||PGCert Health Research Methods|
|University College Dublin||181st||ProfCert Heart Failure|
|Oxford Brookes University||438th||PGCert Cardiorespiratory Practice|
|Imperial College London||6th||PGCert Cardiovascular and Respiratory Healthcare|
Basic Eligibility Criteria
The basic eligibility criteria for this science program are as follows.
- The student or candidate needs to have a bachelor’s degree in a scientific or medical discipline from a recognised university/education board.
- The student must also meet the English Language Proficiency Requirements as specified by the particular university; such as TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
Note: For more detailed information on the same, you can explore the university website of the program.
These are the documents required for your application to study abroad:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Student Visa
PGCert Cardiovascular Science Program Structure
There is no specific structure or curriculum for PGCert Cardiovascular Science Program. Every university has its unique syllabus and curriculum, depending on the courses offered by them. However, one similarity between all programs is that the curriculum is divided into two sections. One section includes general medical skills and the other consists of cardiology advancements and innovations. General skills allow students to understand the basics of the subject/s and the advancements section includes recent developments in cardiology. Learning about the latest techniques and technologies enables students to become better healthcare professionals and clinicians.
Common Areas of Study under the PGCert Cardiovascular Program
PGCert Cardiovascular Program is designed for individuals from different healthcare disciplines and medical backgrounds. Enrolment in this course enables these professionals to learn about state-of-the-art technologies for the diagnosis, prevention, and management of cardiovascular diseases.
The program involves studying:
- Principles of cardiology and practice.
- Communication, teaching, and learning in social and public health care.
- Basics of cardiac diagnostic investigations and procedures.
- Interventional and invasive cardiology.
- Improvement in safety standards and quality in clinical practice and services.
- Leadership in clinical services.
- Research methods.
- Critical appraisal.
- Issues pertaining to echocardiography.
- Use of echocardiographic machines.
- Understanding various principles of diagnostic ultrasound and diagnostic imaging equipment.
- Skills to perform several clinical examinations.
- Research in cardiac ultrasound.
- Ways to improve physical health monitoring of cardiovascular patients.
- Intravenous antimicrobial therapy.
- Importance of group psychological interventions to reduce the burden and stress levels of caregivers of people suffering from cardiovascular ailments.
- Skills related to cardiorespiratory practice and learning by applying evidence-based practice.
- Methods to plan, deliver, and assess the care of patients.
Fees of PGCert Cardiovascular Science Programmes
The fees of PGCert Cardiovascular Science programmes vary according to the university guidelines. To know more about the fee structure students must refer to the official websites of the respective universities. The below-mentioned fee structure may differ each year depending on the university.
|Brighton & Sussex Medical School||£6,640 (INR 6,66,134)|
|University of Leeds||£9,333 (INR 9,36,299)|
|Middlesex University||£15,100 (INR 15,14,853)|
|University of Bristol||£9,600 (INR 9,63,085)|
|Oxford Brookes University||£3240 (INR 3,25,041)|
|The University of Exter||£8,500 (INR 8,52,731)|
|Imperial College London||£20,400 (INR 20,46,556)|
|Trinity College Dublin||€11,830 (INR 11,86,802)|
PGCert Cardiovascular Science degree widens the growth horizon of healthcare professionals, especially those working toward curing and preventing cardiovascular diseases. After completing the course, the students will gain a competitive edge over other healthcare professionals. These graduates can build careers in biomedical research organisations, clinical trial organisations, and healthcare management. They can be skillfully employed by any cardiologist.
Jobs after PGCert Cardiovascular Science Program
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Physical Activity Specialist
- Public Health Specialist
- Sports Scientist
- Occupational Therapist
Healthcare professionals can explore their horizons by enrolling PGCert Cardiovascular Science program to provide improved patient-centred care to people living with heart diseases and respiratory disorders. They can also avoid the development of any respiratory and cardiac disorders in critically-ill patients.
The duration of the PGCert Cardiovascular Science program differs from university to university. The course is designed for 6 months to 1 year.
PGCert Cardiovascular Science graduates can build careers in biomedical research organisations, clinical trial organisations, and healthcare management. They are often employed as clinical nurse specialists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, dieticians, physical activity specialists, public health specialists, and sports scientists.
This certificate program is ideal for advanced practitioners, healthcare scientists, physiotherapists, and nurses.
The curriculum of this certificate course helps students learn about the latest technologies and techniques related to the management and diagnosis of patients suffering from cardiovascular diseases. Students also learn about different techniques to prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases in critically ill patients. They learn to deliver person-centric healthcare after completing the course.
Evaluate all options of study abroad programs with Leverage Edu. Stay tuned with Leverage Live and get 30-minute free counselling on 1800 572 000 and explore all academic options.