Are you passionate about conserving nature, protecting ecosystems, and preserving wildlife? If so, then a masters in ecology and conservation can be the perfect opportunity to pursue a rewarding career in your preferred field. It is a postgraduate program that usually spans 1-2 years. Moreover, it is among the most popular and unique course options that lead to potential career paths. In this blog, we will explore the top universities offering this course, career scope, application process, scholarships, and more.
|Course Name||Masters in Ecology and Conservation|
|Eligibility||A Bachelor’s degree in the same or related field.|
|Job Profiles||Environemental Specialist, Ecologist, Nature Conservation Officer, Biologist|
This Blog Includes:
Why Pursue a Masters in Ecology and Conservation?
- A masters in ecology and conservation is an interdisciplinary course that offers comprehensive knowledge about a wide range of related subjects.
- Students get the opportunity to explore conservation skills including diverse sustainable practices, wildlife management, habitat restoration, and so on.
- This postgraduate program offers hands-on experience, along with theoretical knowledge to help students understand better.
- Students have the opportunity to contribute to significant projects related to this or similar field.
- A master’s degree in ecology and conservation unlocks the door to multiple career opportunities ranging from wildlife conservation to research institutions and NGOs.
Top Universities to Pursue Masters in Ecology and Conservation
Here is a list of universities that offer maters in ecology and conservation along with their QS rank.
|Name of the University||QS Rank||Course Name|
|University of Aberdeen||208||Ecology and Conservation MSc|
|Cardiff University||154||Global Ecology and Conservation (MSc)|
|University of Michigan||33||Ecosystem Science and Management – Conservation Ecology|
|Texas A&M University||134||M.S. Ecology and Conservation Biology|
|Imperial College London||6||MSc Living Planet with Ecology, Evolution and Conservation|
|University of Florida||168||WILDLIFE ECOLOGY AND CONSERVATION|
|Oxford Brookes University||6||MSc Conservation Ecology|
|University of East Anglia||295||MSc Applied Ecology and Conservation|
|The University of Melbourne||14||Master of Ecosystem Management and Conservation|
|University of Potsdam||460||Ecology, Evolution and Conservation | Master|
|Radboud University||222||MA Conservation and Restoration Ecology|
|Queen’s University Belfast||202||MSc Ecological Management and Conservation Biology|
|Teesside University||143||Ecology and Conservation MSc|
|University of Sussex||218||Ecology, Conservation and Environment|
|University of Illinois Urbana Champaign||64||Ecology, Evolution, & Conservation Biology, MS|
|Columbia University||23||Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology, MA|
|Karlstand University||501 – 550||MA BIOLOGY: ECOLOGY AND CONSERVATION BIOLOGY|
|University of Brighton||771 – 780||Ecology and Conservation MSci|
Students who wish to get addition in masters in ecology and conservation must first satisfy the eligibility requirements of their preferred university.
- Candidates must have completed their high school education with at least 50-55% marks.
- Students must obtain a Bachelor’s degree in the same or related discipline.
- international students also have to show their language proficiency by clearing English Language Proficiency Tests (IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo).
We have jotted down below a few documents that students need to submit as part of their application to seek admission in universities.
- A filled application form of the university
- Proof of finances
- A passport and visa
- All academic transcripts
- Work experience (if any)
- LOR and SOP
- Proof of English Language Proficiency tests.
Here is a rundown of the application process for students who seek admission in masters in ecology and conservation.
1. Start the process by collecting the required documents. This includes academic transcripts, passport, visa, etc.
3. If you are unable to make the final decision regarding the university, use our AI University Course Finder tool to ease the hassle involved.
4. Next, register on the official website and create a new student profile.
5. Fill the application form by incorporating the required personal and academic details.
6. Move on with uploading the necessary documents as mentioned on your screen.
7. Finally, pay the application fee and submit your application.
Course Curriculum Overview
In simple words, the Masters’s program in ecology and conservation prioritizes integrating biological sciences with economic concepts. It takes students through an interdisciplinary approach to provide the necessary skills and knowledge. For instance, students explore a diverse curriculum comprising of different research methodologies and fieldwork to help students in preserving natural ecosystems. Most importantly, students learn concepts like animal ecology, nature conservation, botany, biodiversity, and so on.
Scope After Pursuing Masters in Ecology and Conservation
Interestingly, the scope offered in this course is as diverse and promising as the course itself. Graduates of this field find themselves prepared for a wide range of career opportunities in different fields. They can opt for roles such as ecosystem manager, biologist, environmental scientist, environmental consultant, and so on.
The most common duties in this field include mitigating harmful environmental issues, preserving biodiversity, and addressing the common ecological challenges. Apart from this, pursuing a masters in ecology and conservation can lead to teaching and research opportunities. This helps students to contribute by offering innovative solutions.
Below we have mentioned a few common job options that students generally opt for after completing their masters in ecology and conservation.
|Job Profile||Annual Salary Range|
|Environmental Consultant||$63071 – $76,530|
|Environemental Specialist||$64,460 – $83,279|
|Ecologist||$62,363 – $78,756|
|Nature Conservation Officer||$34,620 – $76,510|
|Marine Biologist||$13,292 – $54759|
|Wildlife Biologist||$54,288 – $70,990|
Here are a bunch of scholarships which eligible international students can apply for and reduce their financial burden.
|University of Aberdeen||Aberdeen Global Scholarship||£3,000 tuition fee discount|
|Cardiff University||The Red Dragon Scholarship||£5,000|
|Texas A&M University||International Education Fee Scholarship||–|
|Imperial College London||CMA CGM Scholarships||Full tuition fees along with £19,500 annual stipend|
|The University of Melbourne||Graduate Research Scholarships||Full tuition fees|
|Radboud University||Radboud Scholarship Programme||€2.530 reduction in tuition fees.|
|Teesside University||Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship||£5,000 fees waiver.|
The Masters of Science in ecology and conservation biology is specifically designed to provide students with extensive knowledge. It can help students pursue academic or research careers in terrestrial or aquatic ecological systems.
Students who wish to achieve their higher education in MSc ecology must first obtain a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Moreover, they must have achieved a minimum of 50-55% aggregate in graduation.
The range of subjects offered in MSc ecology differ depending on the university and country. Nonetheless, students can expect to study a broad range of subjects including ecosystem studies, environmental chemistry, lab analytical techniques, basics of geoinformatics, and so on.
This blog covers all the information you need to know about masters in ecology and conservation. If you have queries or suggestions, drop them in the comments below. For further help, our expert team at Leverage Edu is available to assist you. Drop us a call at 1800572000 today to get an absolutely free counseling session!