Master of Science in Criminology (MSC Criminology) is a postgraduate degree program that focuses on the study of crime, criminal behavior, law enforcement, and the criminal justice system. The program is designed to prepare students for careers in law enforcement, criminal justice agencies, research, and academia. Graduates of MSc Criminology can pursue a variety of careers in law enforcement, research, academia, and the private sector, depending on their interests and qualifications. Here are some of the requirements, jobs, online courses, and scope associated with MSc Criminology.
|Course Name||MSc Criminology|
|Job Prospects||Criminologists, Researchers, Professors, Medical Investigator, Medical Counsellors|
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Master of Science in Criminology?
- Why Study Master of Science in Criminology?
- Master of Science in Criminology Syllabus
- Top Universities for Master of Science in Criminology In Abroad
- Top Universities of Master of Science in Criminology in India
- Skills required to pursue
- Cost of Studying
- Admission Requirements
- How to Apply for Master of Science in Criminology?
- Career Scope and Salary
- Top Recruiters
What is a Master of Science in Criminology?
MSc Criminology is a postgraduate degree program that focuses on the scientific study of crime, its causes, consequences, and prevention. The program examines the criminal justice system and the various approaches to preventing and addressing crime. It covers topics such as criminological theory, research methods, victimology, policing, corrections, and criminal law. The program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required for careers in law enforcement, criminal justice agencies, research, and academia. MSc Criminology programs are offered by many universities and colleges, and they typically require a bachelor’s degree in Criminology or a related field, along with other admission requirements.
Must Read- MA in Criminology
Why Study Master of Science in Criminology?
There are several reasons why one might choose to study MSc Criminology. Here are some of the most common:
- MSc Criminology prepares students for a wide range of careers in law enforcement, criminal justice agencies, research, and academia. Graduates can work as police officers, forensic analysts, criminologists, crime analysts, researchers, and professors, among other professions.
- MSc Criminology provides students with a deep understanding of the causes of criminal behaviour and the factors that contribute to crime. This knowledge is valuable for anyone working in law enforcement, as well as for those who are interested in understanding why crime happens.
- MSc Criminology offers a comprehensive understanding of the criminal justice system and its various components, such as policing, courts, and corrections. This knowledge is valuable for anyone who wants to work within or with the criminal justice system.
- MSc Criminology programs teach students research methods, data analysis, and critical thinking skills. These skills are essential for anyone who wants to conduct research in criminology or work in a research-based profession.
Master of Science in Criminology Syllabus
The subject can be different for different universities, but here are the common subject taught in Master of Science in Criminology
|Criminal Intelligence||Crime Corruption|
|Crime In India||Global Terrorism|
|Crime and Criminology||Crime Prevention|
|Crime against Women||Criminal Law and Justice|
|Research Methodology||Master Thesis|
Top Universities for Master of Science in Criminology In Abroad
Here are the top Universities that offer MSc Criminology programs abroad
|University of surrey||UK|
|University of Kent||Uk|
|University of South Florida||United States|
|University of Toronto||Canada|
|University of York||UK|
|University of Leeds||UK|
Top Universities of Master of Science in Criminology in India
Some of the universities in India offering Master of Science in Criminology
- University of Lucknow
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- University of Madras
- Jharkhand Raksha Shakti University
- Institute of forensic science in Criminology Punjab
Must Read- Criminology Courses – Degrees and Career Prospects
Skills required to pursue
To pursue a Master of Science in Criminology the following skillset is required:
- Sharp Observation
- Analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Logical Reasoning
- Good Public speaking skills
- Critical Thinking
- Detail Oriented
Cost of Studying
The cost of an MSc in Criminology will vary depending on the university to the universities. However, the average cost for this program in a different country is listed below
|Country||Average Tuition Fee per Annum||In INR|
|UK||GBP 20,000-30,000||15-30 Lakhs|
|Canada||CAD 20,000-30,000||12-18 Lakhs|
|USA||USD 20,000-30,000||16-24 Lakhs|
Universities will have different admittance requirements, as was already mentioned. However, as previously stated, there is a common requirement for admission to an MSc in Criminology:
- A bachelor’s degree in Criminology or a related field such as Sociology, Psychology, or Criminal Justice.
- A minimum GPA requirement of 2.0 to 3.0, depending on the program.
- Letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and resume.
- Standardized tests like GRE, LSAT, or GMAT may also be required.
English Test Requirements
Listed below are the minimum requirements of the English Proficiency Test for admission to the Master of Science in Criminology
How to Apply for Master of Science in Criminology?
Make the admission process easy by following the simple application process at Leverage Edu
- Through our dependable AI Course Finder, choose your criminology course.
- Leverage Edu experts who will then begin the application process at the relevant university.
- SOPs, essays, letters of recommendation, IELTS, TOEFL, and other materials are crucial components of your university application. As a result, you’ll need to collect and organise all the required paperwork.
- After you’ve submitted your application and the necessary documentation, experts at Leverage Edu will begin the application process for housing, student visas, and scholarships/student loans.
- It is now necessary to wait for your offer letter
The following set of materials is needed to apply to any of the universities mentioned above:
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Academic Transcripts
- Update Resume
- Entrance Exam score
- English proficiency test
Must Read- BSc Criminology: Eligibility, Fees, Colleges, Jobs, Syllabus
Career Scope and Salary
A master of Science Criminology degree opens various job opportunities in well-known companies. Here are the Criminology job positions with salaries after completion Master of science in criminology
|Job profile||Average Salary|
|Cyber Security Specialist||4-7LPA|
|Crime Analyst||4-10 LPA|
|Criminology Professor||4-8 LAP|
- Private Detective Agencies
- National Human Right Commission
- State/ Central Police
- National Commission for Women
- Bureau of Police Research and Development
Criminology focuses on the scientific study of crime, criminal behaviour, and its causes, while Criminal Justice focuses on the system of law enforcement, the courts, and corrections.
Admission requirements vary depending on the program and university, but generally, a bachelor’s degree in Criminology or a related field, a minimum GPA requirement, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a resume are required.
Graduates can work in a variety of fields, including law enforcement, research, academia, corrections, and the private sector. Some specific job titles include police officer, crime analyst, forensic analyst, criminologist, researcher, and professor.
Here is all the information about MSC criminology, if you are also looking to pursue this course from a top university, get in touch with Leverage Edu our study abroad expert will help you with a smooth process call us on 1800 57 2000.