IT courses, also popularly known as Information Technology, involve the study of computers and networks to secure confidential information for businesses. By opting for different specializations, students can learn cloud computing, data management, cyber security, and other skills. The duration of IT courses depends on the level of study, country, and university shortlisted. So, if you are planning to pursue IT courses in Canada for international students, keep on reading to learn more about top universities, fees, scope, and more useful information.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study IT in Canada?
Among the other popular study-abroad options, Canada is swiftly becoming one of the most popular destinations. Here are a few major reasons why one should pursue IT courses in Canada for international students:
- Canada is known for its top-notch universities and colleges.
- You can access affordable education and experienced faculty while saving more money as compared to other Western countries.
- International students have the advantage of working part-time for up to 20 hours every week alongside their studies.
- Canada also offers plenty of lucrative job opportunities to students around the world.
- Aspiring graduates can find diverse course options according to their individual interests.
Also Read: Top IT Courses in New Zealand
Top IT Courses in Canada
Following are some of the best IT courses in Canada for international students that you should consider:
|Name of the University||QS Rank||Name of the Course||Approx Annual Fee|
|University of Ottawa||203||ITI 1120 Introduction to Computing I||$163980 – $20198|
|University of Waterloo||112||Information Technology Management||$52,250 – $57,190|
|University of Calgary||182||IT Fundamentals||$3,516 to $4,395|
|McGill University||30||Certificate in Computers and Information Technology||$55,601 – $60,650|
|University of Montreal||141||Masters in Information Sciences||$10,750 – $13,230|
|McMaster University||189||Bachelor of Technology (BTech)||$27691 – $33423|
|University of Guelph||486||CIS*1050 – Web Design and Development||$5,105 – $13,828|
|University of Regina||1001 – 1200||Master of Science (MSc) in Computer Science (Data Science) (course)||$4322.70 – $6133.98|
|Carleton University||671 – 680||Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT)||$15,345 – $28,709|
Online IT Courses in Canada
Following are the top IT Courses that you can pursue online from the comfort of your home! Check them out below:
|Name of the University||QS Rank||Name of the Course||Approx Fee|
|Thompson Rivers University||NA||Certificate in Information Technology||$45.21 – $52.19|
|University of Toronto||21||Foundations of Data Architecture & Governance||$700 – $1500|
|McMaster University||189||Information Systems & Technology||$910.12 – $1010.08|
|University of Waterloo||112||Web and Computer Programming||$1090 – $1319|
|University of Western Ontario||NA||Mobile Application Development||$1,390 – $1,709|
|University of Toronto||21||4004 – DevOps Tools and Applications||$990 – $1207.21|
If you are planning to pursue IT courses in Canada for international students, then you are required to fulfill the necessary eligibility criteria. The important thing to remember is that criteria can differ from university to university. Therefore, always ensure to check the official website of your preferred educational institution.
- Applicants must have completed their senior secondary education with the relevant Stream.
- Applicants must have secured at least 50-55% in their senior secondary education.
- Students must also clear English Proficiency Tests (IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo) with the required percentage (depending on the university).
- Applicants must have secured at least 55% in their senior secondary education.
- Students must have a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field.
- Students must also clear English Proficiency Tests with the required percentage (depending on the university).
For international students who want to pursue any IT courses in Canada, the best way to utilize time is to prepare everything beforehand. To get admission into your preferred university, you need to submit a few essential documents as part of your application such as:
- Official academic transcripts
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- Updated resume or CV
1. Start the process by collecting your academic transcripts. Ensure to include all academic marksheets, proof of English Proficiency Tests, and GMAT/GRE (if required, depending on the course and university).
3. Get your Visa and Passport as they are required for all international students.
4. Now select a university as per your individual likes and preferences. Additionally, you can also use Leverage Edu AI University Course Finder for the same.
4. Browse the official website of your preferred university and double-check the eligibility and required documents.
5. Register on the website by filling in the required details as mentioned in your official academic records.
7. Upload the necessary documents and pay the necessary application fee to proceed.
8. Ensure all details are correct and only then submit your application.
5 Popular Career Prospects in IT
If you have decided to study IT then you may be interested in finding out the career prospects in this field, so check thee out!
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Data scientist||CA$1,03,144 – CA$1,05,010|
|Full-stack developer||CA$79,300 – CA$83,500|
|Senior software engineer||CA$1,30,237 – CA$1,35,20|
|Junior software developer||CA$60,530 – CA$63,800|
|Database administrator||CA$83,289 – CA$87,078|
Depending on your individual interests and preferences, there are a bunch of IT courses you can consider. For instance, you can go for Software Engineering, Cyber Security, Web Development, and Artificial Intelligence.
The minimum requirement for studying an IT course in Canada differs according to the level of study. For instance, for a UG course, students must complete their senior secondary education with at least 50-55%. On the other hand, for PG courses, students should have a Bachelor’s degree in the same field along with other requirements.
Depending on the university and program shortlisted, an IT course in Canada can be anywhere up to 2-4 years.
This blog covers all the information you need to know about Masters in FinTech. If you have queries or suggestions, drop them in the comments below. For further help, our expert team at Leverage Edu is available to assist you. Drop us a call at 1800572000 today to get an absolutely free counseling session!