Australia is becoming a popular destination for many people to settle in and is the hottest study-abroad destination among students. Studying in Australia has become easier now than ever and provides a route to settle in the country by obtaining a permanent residency (PR). Australia is a multicultural hub with a wide range of diverse ethnicities and provides an easy lifestyle to people with a laidback vibe. With a strong economy and balanced lifestyle, it is one of the most preferred locations of people around the world. Want to know how to settle in Australia but unaware of the requirements? Then, you are at the right place. Here’s all you need to know about settling in Australia.
This Blog Includes:
- Top Reasons to Settle in Australia
- What is Australia PR Visa?
- Eligibility Criteria to obtain a PR in Australia
- How to Settle in Australia: Visa Application Process?
- Visa Processing time in Australia
- Types of Immigration in Australia
- How to obtain a PR in Australia?
- Best Cities to Live in Australia to Settle
- Top Universities in Australia
Top Reasons to Settle in Australia
Most people prefer to settle in Australia post-completion of their graduate or postgraduate courses in Australia. To fulfill their dream of settling down in Australia students either apply for a work visa of Australian PR, because these are the only two ways they could opt to settle down in Australia.
Here are some reasons that you may consider for settling in Australia:
- Australian universities provide top-quality education to international students and they are valued and recognized around the world
- Studying abroad in Australia will provide you with an incredible experience and will allow you to build global networks
- Australia is known for its huge variety of flora and fauna and is a multicultural country with people coming from all over the world.
- Studying in Australia can help you gain work experience from the leading companies in the world.
- Australia is less populated as compared to other developed countries.
- There are a number of opportunities in the STEM sector (Science, Technology, Engineering, and mathematics) so you would not run out of jobs.
- It offers job opportunities in various sectors including multinational companies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and startups.
- The Australian education system is globally recognized and will enhance your chances of employment
What is Australia PR Visa?
The PR also known as Permanent Residency for Australia refers to the permission to work and settle in Australia. The duration of the PR Visa is 5 years. Although, you can also apply for citizenship after 4 years of continuous formal work in Australia. The PR Vida for Australia also permits you to move to the country along with your family.
Eligibility Criteria to obtain a PR in Australia
The following are the eligibility criteria to apply for a PR in Australia:
- The candidate should be below the age of 45 years
- The candidate should provide proof of some level of English proficiency
- Must belong to an occupation from the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) which is currently accepted for migration to Australia
How to Settle in Australia: Visa Application Process?
The following are the steps recommended to apply for your Australian visa:
- Login to your ImmiAccount
- Select the new application option
- Select the suitable option from the application list
- Fill out the application accurately
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions
- Select save and if needed print it out
The following are the document requirements for an Australian visa:
- A valid passport
- A visa application form
- Proof of visa fee payment
- Photographs for identification
- National Identity Card
- Health Insurance
- Proof of financial support
- Letter of Acceptance
- Police Certificate
- Family Certificates
Visa Processing time in Australia
Visa processing in Australia could take some time, with a waiting of 8-14 months on average. However, this could vary depending on the type of visa. Mentioned below is the average processing time for different visa applications in Australia:
|Australian Visa||Processing Time|
|Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)||8-9 months|
|Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190)||6.5-8 months|
Types of Immigration in Australia
The following are the various types of immigration in Australia:
Skilled workers visa
Skilled working visa is for the working professionals with certified experience or company with branches both in the home country and Australia can apply under this category.
Coporate Immigrants is for the company professionals or HR representative in the corporate world who want to sponsor employees to work in Australia.
Many international students prefer to stay in the country after pursuing their education in Australia. They can choose to apply for temporary visa and then permanent residency options.
If any of your family member such as spouse, parents or even friend living in Australia who can sponsor your stay then you can apply under this category.
How to obtain a PR in Australia?
The following are the tips for applying for a PR in Australia:
- After completing your studies you can apply for a work visa.
- Make sure you have completed the 2 years academic course requirement in Australia
- Keep improving your English and IELTS score
- Use bridging visa wisely
- State nominations can be very advantageous for international students
- Understand and keep updating yourself with the skill section criteria
Best Cities to Live in Australia to Settle
Quality life and huge diversity are the major reasons why people choose to settle in Australia. Here are the best cities to settle in Australia:
Melbourne is one of the most culturally diverse cities in Australia. The city has every site of attraction including cool bars, arty vibes museums, and festivals. It is a great attraction for people around the world. The climate condition in the city is often whimsical witnessing all four seasons on the same day sometimes.
The Harbour City, Sydney is the industrial hub of the country and heaven for career-oriented people. Sydney offers abundant career opportunities to professionals. It is also the largest city in Australia and has a lot of tourist attractions.
Canberra is the capital of Australia. The city hosts a diverse population of international population. It is one of the most desirable destinations for people due to numerous natural reserves, and a man-made lake in the city center.
Brisbane is an ideal mix of balance between the urban and outdoor lifestyle of Australia. The city hosts a sizeable number of students’ population. The city is becoming a popular tourist destination with the largest economy. Brisbane is a popular cosmopolitan downtown area providing a great climate, trendy nightlife style etc.
Top Universities in Australia
If you are planning to study in Australia, then you must consider studying at a renowned university. The following are the top universities in Australia for international students:
|University||QS World Ranking 2024|
|University of Melbourne||14|
|University of Sydney||=19|
|The Australian National University||=34|
|The University of Western Australia||72|
|The University of Adelaide||89|
|The University of Queensland||43|
|La Trobe University||242|
|University of Wollongong||162|
The following are the eligibility criteria to apply for a PR in Australia:
The candidate should be below the age of 45 years
The candidate should provide proof of some level of English proficiency
Must belong to an occupation from the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) which is currently accepted for migration to Australia
The University of Melbourne, the University of Sydney, University of Adelaide are some of the top universities in Australia.
The following are the best cities in Australia :
So, we hope that this blog has provided you with the relevant information on how to Settle in Australia. And if you want to pursue any course for study abroad, contact Leverage Edu for complete assistance. You can also call us at 1800-572-000 and book a free session today!