Planning to apply for a scholarship but don’t know which one fits best? There are a number of global scholarships, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, for students in need of financial assistance, who also carry a tremendous academic portfolio. Well, in this particular blog, we concentrate on ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship, which shortlists students and provides them with specific scholarship benefits.
Supporting outstanding and eligible students to receive freshman scholarships come under ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship. Students from ASEAN member countries are supported in the case of this scholarship, except Singapore. So, let’s dive right into getting to know the details of this scholarship, including the application process, and more.
|Name of Scholarship||ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship|
|Number of Available Slots||Limited|
|Name of Origination||ASEAN|
|Deadline||July 2023 (Tentative)|
This Blog Includes:
About ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship
As mentioned ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship is provided or offered to ASEAN countries except for Singapore. Students from these countries can apply for undergraduate courses in almost all fields except Law, Medicine, Music, and Dentistry.
Under this, the student, in pursuit of the ministry of health, must demonstrate their financial need. For the same purpose, no separate application form is available or provided. It is judged based on the application made for the course under the National University of Singapore (NUS).
Furthermore, the scholarship is a great opportunity for students to grow and develop, as it not only offers benefits in financial terms but also equips the selected candidates with knowledge and soft skills; along with ethics and social responsibility.
What are the ASEAN Member States?
The countries that come under the ASEAN member states, and are eligible to apply for this scholarship are listed below.
- Singapore (exception)
- East Timor
ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship: Eligibility Criteria
For a student to apply and be selected for ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship, the bare minimum that can be done is to verify if the student passes the eligibility criteria or not. For a better understanding, we have provided the required eligibility criteria, below.
- The candidate or student must be a citizen of one of the ASEAN countries, except Singapore.
- The candidate or student must possess and exhibit strong leadership qualities and potential.
- In the application of the candidate or student, a strong impression of the extracurricular/co-curricular activities should be presented.
- Furthermore, the candidate or student must also carry an outstanding academic high school record for the council to judge.
- The candidate or student must be willing and decisive to apply to a full-time undergraduate degree program at the National University of Singapore (NUS).
ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship: Benefits
Now that we have learnt about the basics of the ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship, let’s come to the most essential part: the benefits or grants of the scholarship, that shall be provided to the selected students. Below we have mentioned the same.
- The benefit of Tuition Fees, after the MOE Tuition Grant Subsidy.
- The benefit of S$5,800 (INR 3.5 lakh) annual living allowance.
- The benefit of S$1,750 (INR 1 lakh) one-time allowance for computers upon enrolment of the student.
- Moreover, there shall also be a benefit of a S$3,000 (INR 1.8 lakh) annual accommodation allowance.
Along with the aforementioned, the student also gains a great learning experience through the scholarship.
ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship: Application/ Selection Process
To check out the application process, please refer to the pointers below.
- First, do note that all eligible students who are applying for an undergraduate course and hoping to take admission at the NUS will be considered. Thereafter, the shortlisted students shall be informed to submit a scholarship application.
- Applicants will further be assessed based on their performance and the strength of their application; post which a scholarship selection interview shall be considered.
- If selected for the selection interview, applicants will be informed via email, and be asked to submit a submission with their co-curricular record, and achievements, as well as a personal statement.
- The selection interview will be held between the months of January and June.
- Further, the students/applicants shall be informed of the outcome by mid-July.
ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship: Features and Specifications
There are certain terms and conditions, or specifications, that students shall make a note of. Read the following carefully.
- The ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship covers students enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course at NUS, along with Double Degree and Joint Degree Programmes. Only undergraduate course for students under the Concurrent Degree Programmes is covered, though not for NUS Bachelor of Science; and University of Melbourne Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
- The scholarship can be transferred across courses, except for Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Music, and Yale-NUS College.
- Students must take up the MOE Tuition grant to receive the scholarship. International students and Singapore permanent residents who take up the grant are bound to work for a Singapore-registered company for 3 years upon graduation. Moreover, those who are admitted to Dentistry and Medicine will be required to take the bond under the Singapore Ministry of Health. This will be for 5 and 6 years, respectively.
- Those who have received the scholarship shall not undertake any other grant or similar forms of aid, without university approval.
- Students who have received the scholarship will be able to renew the same every semester, based on the scholarship review and their maintenance of the Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of at least 3.5.
- There shall be no guarantee of employment for students upon completion of their graduation.
- If the selected student decided to terminate or withdraw from the university or scholarship, the university CAN ask for repayment.
Those were some of the most essential terms and conditions of the ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship. Now, onto the most frequently asked questions.
Getting an ASEAN scholarship is certainly competitive.
Germany is the country which gives one of the highest scholarships.
The ASEAN Scholarship Allowance is S$2200 (INR 1.3 lakh) or S$2400 (INR 1.5 lakh) per year.
This was all about ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.