Students who are studying abroad for the first time have one of a kind experience. Each year students visit foreign countries to gain transformational educational experience. Studying in Bachelor’s or Master’s program it is more likely that the student from a research background will get interested in Doctorates and M.Phils. The Saraswati Dalmia Scholarship helps such students who want to pursue higher education in the field of Modern and Contemporary Indian Art at the SOAS University of London. This scholarship program is one of many course-wise scholarship programs offered by selected universities. Let’s explore this blog to know more about Saraswati Dalmia scholarship.
|Name of the Scholarship||Saraswati Dalmia Scholarship|
|Conducting Body||School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS) the University of London|
|Applicable to||Students enrolled for Research Programs in SOAS UoL|
|Mode of Application||Online|
This Blog Includes:
The application process for Saraswati Dalmia Scholarship starts after the university admissions to the course. The notification for the 2023 applications is not out yet the tentative dates of the applications for the scholarship are given below.
|Application Starts||April 2023|
|Application Deadline||May 2023|
About the Scholarship
This scholarship is a tribute to Saraswati Dalmia by her daughter Yashodhara Dalmia. Saraswati Dalmia was a famous poet and scholar who withstood her ground with the power of knowledge in India’s struggle for Independence. As a writer and a poet, the lady always inspired women towards knowledge and achievement.
She had established a trust for research and writing which contributed to reshaping the role of women in Indian Society. Her daughter Yashodhara is also an Independent Curator and an Art Historian. She has written many books on modern and contemporary Indian art. The scholarship is to promote these disciples among students and extend the life of Indian art and literature. The scholarship is offered to the students for a period of one year only.
The fundings of the scholarships vary from program to program and university to university. As an award for the scholarship, the candidates are offered GBP 5,353 as a section of their tuition fee. It is to be noted by all the applicants that the SOAS University of London does not provide any assistance or aid in accommodation or any other kind of support.
Eligibility of Program
The scholarship is for selected courses only and therefore students pursuing these courses are the only ones who can apply under this program. The various criteria for selection are given below:
- The Saraswati Dalmia Scholarship is offered to full-time or part-time students pursuing M.Phil or PhD courses.
- The students must be pursuing research-based studies in Indian Arts from 1500 till the present.
- Students specializing in Modern and Contemporary Indian Art will be preferred over others.
- The students who are already enrolled in the scholarship program will also be considered but preference will be given to the new joiners.
- The students already enrolled in the course but not availing of the scholarship yet will also be preferred in their current years of studies.
Eligibility of Candidate
The candidates who are applying under the aforementioned categories can look upon these eligibility criteria for further evaluation. To be eligible for the Saraswati Dalmia Scholarship Program the candidate must have the following:
- The Scholarship program is open to candidates applying from India, European Union or Overseas.
- Students with merit or distinction in their Master’s program and with excellent study records are preferred over those with average scores.
- The new applicant must have received their final offer letter before the committee discusses their application for approval.
- The research proposal presented by the applicant must clearly mention their interest and topic of research in Indian Arts from 1500 to the present day. The candidate must be proficient and looking for specialization in Modern and Contemporary Indian Arts.
- Every new applicant must submit their English Language Proficiency scores by early June (A specific date will be announced soon). The English Proficiency score should match the requirement of the university.
The evaluation of applications for this scholarship is done on the basis of Merit, Research Proposal and Eligibility. The candidates are evaluated on various grounds before a list of beneficiaries is declared. The process of selection is as follows.
- Three academic members comprising a selection panel sit together to evaluate the student’s profile based on the merit of their qualifying examinations.
- The information in the application and that mentioned in the University offer letter will be used for the evaluation procedure.
- The statement of purpose and research proposal will be used to judge the intent of the applicant and their extent of interest and knowledge in the subject.
Also Read: Tata Scholarships
The application procedure for the scholarship is really easy but the candidates should make sure that they apply by the deadline to avail of the scholarship. The procedure to be followed for application is mentioned hereunder:
- The candidates can visit the SOAS University of London Website to apply.
- Visit the scholarship section on the website.
- Click on ‘Apply as new Applicant’.
- Select ‘M.Phil’ or ‘PhD’ under the program choice.
- Select ‘Department of History of Art and Archaeology’ under the Department choice category.
- The current program students must submit 2 references and one of them has to be from the supervisor.
- Complete the application form by filling out the details.
- New applicants also have to attach their completely filled university application form for SOAS University of London.
The University of London has the School of Oriental and African Studies institute on its campus. This institute is famous for its welcoming and diverse environment for students from Asia, Africa and the Middle East in the UK. The campus houses one of the 5 national research libraries in the UK with extensive research papers, archives and books for the students to refer to and learn from.
The Saraswati Dalmia Scholarship program offers scholarships to students enrolled in M.Philand PhD programmes. The scholarship is offered to both full-time and part-time students in the course. It is mandatory that the applicants are pursuing their research specialisation in Modern and Contemporary Indian Art.
The Saraswati Dalmia Scholarship is offered by the SOAS University of London. It is especially for the students pursuing research in Indian Arts after the era of 1500 till the present.
Hope this blog gives you a brief about Saraswati Dalmia scholarship. So start your application without any delay. For more such updates, keep an eye on Leverage Edu Indian scholarships page, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Linkedin.