South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation is the full form of SAARC. The Cooperation is an intergovernmental organization that was established in the year 1985. It was formed to promote cooperation and development in the eight South Asian countries. In this blog, we will delve more into the abbreviation and understand its functioning.
Who are the Countries of SAARC?
South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation comprises Eight South Asian countries. They are:
- Sri Lanka
Also Read – What is the Full Form of WHO?
SAARC Charter Day
The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation was officially established on December 8, 1985. It was founded with the signing of the SAARC Charter in Dhaka, Bangladesh. This day is celebrated as SAARC Charter Day. It marked the organization’s commitment to regional cooperation.
Also Read – What is the Full Form of UNESCO?
What are the Objectives of SAARC?
The countries of SAARC share the same objectives. Some of them are –
- Promote the socio and economic development in the South Asian region by facilitating trade and investment and collaborating on projects related to agriculture, health, or education.
- To enhance cooperation in fields like agriculture, trade, tourism, and technology.
- Strengthen regional cooperation by encouraging cultural exchange, and advocating peace and security.
- Address and tackle the common challenges faced by the countries like poverty, environmental issues or illiteracy,
- Safeguard the region’s values on the global stage by representing collective voice and influence.
Also Read – What is the Full Form of UNO?
What are the Achievements of SAARC?
In this 39 years of establishment, SAARC has had many significant achievements. Some of them are –
- It established the South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA), to promote trade among the member countries by slowly reducing the tariffs on goods and services traded within the region.
- SAARC has initiated regional cooperation on energy security and environmental protection.
- It has also enhanced the cooperation in combating terrorism and drug trafficking.
- Promoted cultural exchange through initiatives like the SAARC Film Festival and the SAARC Literary Award.
- Has also implemented several programs that include the areas of Disaster Management, Health, Agriculture, and Education.
SAARC is an important organization that is working towards developmental and regional cooperation in South Asia. The first SAARC summit was held in Bangladesh in 1985, followed by India in 1986.
Popular Full Forms
We hope this blog has helped you understand the full form of SAARC and everything related to it. If you want to know more, find the 300+ full forms list on our blog. In the world of short forms, you can rely on the Leverage edu page to know about more full forms like this! Connect with us study abroad experts to achieve your international dream today!