The full form of WBC is White Blood Cells. WBCs are an integral component of the human blood system, further playing a crucial role in our body’s defense against infections and foreign invaders. Moreover, they are known as leukocytes. WBCs are made in the bone marrow and circulate throughout the bloodstream, whilst actively participating in the immune response.
What is WBC?
WBCs are a type of blood cell that constitutes a small percentage of the total blood volume. In contrast to red blood cells that primarily carry oxygen, the main role of WBCs is to protect the body from pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Furthermore, they are an essential part of the immune system and are equipped with various mechanisms to identify and eliminate foreign substances.
Moreover, the range for adults is approximately 4,500 to 11,000 WBCs per microliter of blood. This range may vary for specific age groups and individuals.
Also Read: What is the Full Form of TLC?
What are the Functions of WBC?
In addition, the functions of WBCs are as follows:
- Immune Defense: WBCs actively combat pathogens like bacteria and viruses to prevent infections.
- Phagocytosis: Moreover, WBCs engulf and digest foreign particles to eliminate them from the body.
- Antibody Production: They generate antibodies that are specialized proteins that target and neutralize specific invaders.
- Coordination of Immune Responses: Additionally, WBCs act as communicators between different components of the immune system, thus ensuring a coordinated defense.
Also Read: What is the Full Form of CMI?
What are the Types of WBC?
Furthermore, the types of WBCs are as follows:
- Neutrophils: Abundant and effective at phagocytosis.
- Lymphocytes (T cells and B cells): Essential for specific immune responses and antibody production.
- Monocytes: Transform into macrophages which then engulf and digest pathogens.
- Eosinophils: Involved in allergic reactions and defense against parasites.
- Basophils: A role in allergic responses and inflammation.
Popular Full Forms
We hope this blog has helped you understand the full form of WBC and everything related to it. If you want to know more, find the 300+ full forms list on our blog. In the world of short forms, you can rely on the Leverage edu page to know about more full forms like this! Connect with us study abroad experts to achieve your international dream today!