The full form of MCI is the Medical Council of India. The MCI is a statutory organization dedicated to creating and upholding high standards for medical education and the certification of medical credentials in India. The Indian Medical Council Act of 1933 allowed for its initial establishment in 1934. The National Medical Commission (NMC) will take the place of MCI in 2019 as per NITI Aayog’s proposal.
Also Read: Top Medical Courses
Mission and Vision of MCI
The National Medical Commission’s goals are:
- To provide access to affordable, high-quality medical education.
- To guarantee that there are enough excellent medical experts available throughout the nation,
- Encouraging community health viewpoints and ensuring that all residents have access to medical experts’ services is one way to advance equitable and universal healthcare.
- To motivate healthcare workers to utilize the most recent scientific findings.
- To adopt necessary legislation and set procedures for maintaining excellent standards in medical education.
- To provide the necessary rules and procedures for managing medical facilities, medical research, and medical practitioners.
- The evaluation of healthcare needs, particularly those for infrastructure and human resources, and the creation of a road map to meet those needs.
- To encourage, coordinate, specify policies and guidelines, and create suitable regulations for the Commission, autonomous boards, and state medical councils to function properly.
Also Read: Medical Courses Without NEET
Recent Developments on the MCI:
- The Medical Council of India (MCI) has been replaced by the National Medical Commission (NMC), according to a gazette statement from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- The government eliminated the MCI in 2018. To carry out the functions of the Medical Council of India, which was overseen by a member of NITI Aayog, it was replaced with a Board of Governors (BoG).
- The Board of Governors will be eliminated once the National Medical Commission is operational; further information about Niti Aayog, one of the National Institutions for Transforming India, may be found at the webpage that is linked.