TOEFL or the Test of English as a Foreign Language is one of the most popular English proficiency tests taken by non-native speakers who want to pursue higher education abroad. The exam, which is conducted by ETS, assesses candidates’ competencies through four sections: Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing. Even though universities across countries accept the TOEFL results and scores, however, understanding the evaluation process is slightly tricky in comparison to other language proficiency tests. So, to provide clarity here is a blog that will shed light on the evaluation process of TOEFL results and scores.
This Blog Includes:
How are TOEFL Results and Scores Evaluated?
The TOEFL results and scores are never processed in the test center. They are scored by a centralized scoring network to ensure uniformity. Irrespective of the number of questions and tasks, each section is graded on a 0 to 30 range of scale. This is done to minimize the variations occurring due to the varied difficulty level of different versions of the exam.
- Score scale of each section: 0-30
- Final score: scores of all 4 sections
- Final Score Range: 0-120
Evaluating Scores of Reading Section
This section consists of 3 to 4 reading passages followed by 10 questions on each passage. Consisting of MCQ’s, the section has to be finished in the time limit of 54 to 72 minutes. Since there is only one correct response to the question, this section is evaluated by the computer. Your score, which is the number of questions answered correctly, is converted to a 0 to 30 scale.
Your TOEFL results and score can determine your proficiency level in the reading section based on the range in which it falls.
|Below Low Intermediate||0-3|
TOEFL Results and Scores of Listening Section
This section consists of 3 to 4 lectures followed by 6 questions from each lecture. Furthermore, students also have to listen to 2 to 3 conversations which are followed by 5 questions on each conversation.
- This section has to be finished in the time limit of 41 to 57 minutes.
- The test taker needs to carefully listen to the audio clip and answer the multiple-choice questions.
- Since there is only one correct response to the question, this section is evaluated by the computer.
- Your score, which is the number of questions answered correctly, is converted to a 0 to 30 scale and that’s how your TOEFL results and scores are calculated for this section.
|Below Low Intermediate||0-8|
Speaking Section Results
The Speaking section of TOEFL consists of 4 tasks. One independent and three integrated. This has to be finished within a time limit of 17 minutes. The test takers have to speak on a given topic in the independent task and about the abstract given for the reading and the listening section for the integrated tasks.
How are the TOEFL Results are Scores Evaluated for this Section?
- The TOEFL results and scores are assessed by two evaluators: one is a trained human rater and the other is an AI-based system.
- The two evaluators grade the tasks on a scale of 0 to 4 based on the critical response, flow of speech, grammar, usage of vocabulary, and overall diction of the TOEFL speaking topics.
- They analyze the test taker’s ability to respond in a day to day situation.
- The average of the two scores is converted to a 0 to 30 scale.
- In case there is a huge difference in the grade provided by the two raters, a third human rater is introduced and the average of the two human raters is the final score.
Results and Scores of the Writing Section
The writing section consists of 2 tasks, one independent [abstract topic] and one integrated [abstract topic given in Reading and Listening sections]. The former has to be finished in 20 minutes and the latter in 30 minutes.
How are the TOEFL Results and Scores Evaluated?
- The two evaluators [AI-based system & trained human rater] grade the tasks on a scale of 0 to 5 based on the critical writing, coherence, punctuation, structure, and usage of vocabulary.
- Similar to the speaking section, the average of the two scores is converted to a 0 to 30 scale.
Thus, your TOEFL results and score range will reflect upon your skills in an efficient way. Not sure about which universities you can apply with your TOEFL score? Then reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu who will help you find the most suitable university offering admission in your score range!