TOEFL or the Test of English as a Foreign Language is one of the most popular English proficiency tests taken by non-native speakers who want to pursue higher education abroad. The exam, which is conducted by ETS, assesses candidates’ competencies through four sections: Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing.
Even though universities across countries accept the TOEFL results and scores, however, understanding the evaluation process is slightly tricky in comparison to other language proficiency tests. So, to provide clarity here is a blog that will shed light on the evaluation process of TOEFL results and scores.
This Blog Includes:
- How Are TOEFL Results and Scores Evaluated?
- TOEFL Score Evaluation of Reading Section
- TOEFL Score Evaluation of Listening Section
- Interpretation of Speaking Section Results
- Interpretation of TOEFL Writing Section
- TOEFL Results and Score Table (Section-wise)
- TOEFL Results and Score Calculation
- TOEFL to IELTS and PTE Score Conversions
How Are TOEFL Results and Scores Evaluated?
Due to the recent changes in the duration, number of tasks and number of questions per task in the TOEFL exam pattern. The calculations and other evaluations are based on the new TOEFL Exam Format. This format will be applicable for all test takers from the 12th of June 2023.
The TOEFL results and scores are never processed in the test centre. They are scored by a centralized scoring network to ensure uniformity. Irrespective of the number of questions and tasks, each section is graded on a 0 to 30 range of scale. This is done to minimize the variations occurring due to the varied difficulty level of different versions of the exam.
- Score scale of each section: 0-30
- Final score: scores of all 4 sections
- Final Score Range: 0-120
Must Read: Types of TOEFL Exam
TOEFL Score Evaluation of Reading Section
This section consists of 2 reading passages followed by 10 questions on each passage. Consisting of MCQs, the section has to be finished within the time limit of 35 minutes. Since there is only one correct response to the question, this section is evaluated by the computer. Your score, which is the number of questions answered correctly, is converted to a 0 to 30 scale.
Your TOEFL results and score can determine your proficiency level in the reading section based on the range in which it falls.
|Below Low Intermediate||0-3|
Also Read: Best Tips for TOEFL Reading Section
TOEFL Score Evaluation of Listening Section
This section consists of 2lectures followed by 6 questions from each lecture. Furthermore, students also have to listen to 3 conversations which are followed by 5 questions on each conversation.
- This section has to be finished within the time limit of 36 minutes.
- The test taker needs to carefully listen to the audio clip and answer the multiple-choice questions.
- Since there is only one correct response to the question, this section is evaluated by the computer.
- Your score, which is the number of questions answered correctly, is converted to a 0 to 30 scale and that’s how your TOEFL results and scores are calculated for this section.
|Below Low Intermediate||0-8|
Interpretation of Speaking Section Results
The Speaking section of TOEFL consists of 4 tasks. One independent and three integrated. This has to be finished within a time limit of 16 minutes. The test takers have to speak on a given topic in the independent task and about the abstract given for the reading and the listening section for the integrated tasks.
- The TOEFL results and scores are assessed by two evaluators: one is a trained human rater and the other is an AI-based system.
- The two evaluators grade the tasks on a scale of 0 to 4 based on the critical response, flow of speech, grammar, usage of vocabulary, and overall diction of the TOEFL speaking topics.
- They analyze the test taker’s ability to respond in a day-to-day situation.
- The average of the two scores is converted to a 0 to 30 scale.
- In case there is a huge difference in the grade provided by the two raters, a third human rater is introduced and the average of the two human raters is the final score.
Also Read: Minimum Score in TOEFL Speaking Test
Interpretation of TOEFL Writing Section
The writing section consists of 2 tasks, one integrated [abstract topic given in the Reading and Listening sections] and one independent [writing for an academic discussion]. The former has to be finished in 20 minutes and the latter in 09 minutes.
- The two evaluators [AI-based system & trained human rater] grade the tasks on a scale of 0 to 5 based on the critical writing, coherence, punctuation, structure, and usage of vocabulary.
- Similar to the speaking section, the average of the two scores is converted to a 0 to 30 scale.
TOEFL Results and Score Table (Section-wise)
Take a look at the table below which depicts TOEFL results and score table (section-wise) to understand them in a better way:
|Skill/ Score Range||Level|
|ReadingScore Range 0–30||Advanced (24–30)
Below Low-Intermediate (0–3)
|ListeningScore Range 0–30||Advanced (22–30)
Below Low-Intermediate (0–8)
|SpeakingScore Range 0–30||Advanced (25–30)
Below Basic (0–9
|WritingScore Range 0–30||Advanced (24–30)
Below Basic (0–6)
|Total Score||These are added together for a total score of 0–120.|
Also Read: 7 Useful Tips to Ace TOEFL Writing Section
TOEFL Results and Score Calculation
Students and users find calculating the score to be quite confusing. However, let’s understand how this score calculator works. TOEFL exam is conducted online and is comprised of 4 sections: Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking. Each section first generates a raw score and then it is scaled between 0 – 30. Then, these 4 sections are added together to generate a final score of between 0 – 120. First, let’s check how these raw scores are calculated for each section.
TOEFL to IELTS and PTE Score Conversions
The table below depicts the TOEFL to IELTS and PTE score conversions as a rough representation. Check below:
|TOEFL Score||IELTS Band Score||PTE Score|
|115-117(Very Good User)||8.5||83-85|
|110-114(Very Good User)||8||78-82|
|94-101 (Good User)||7||64-72|
|0-31(Extremely limited User)||0-4||0-30|
Thus, your TOEFL results and score range will reflect your skills in an efficient way.
Candidates who want to prepare for TOEFL or any other language proficiency test, can Build a plan with Leverage Edu‘s Leverage Live classes and our top trainers and strengthen your English score as well as your application so that you can secure your spot in your dream college.
Fulfil your dreams of studying abroad with Leverage Edu, to get a free counselling session, reach us at 1800572130.