There are about 195 countries in the world and every country has its own interesting history facts. From interesting facts of popular countries like to USA, UK, New Zealand or our country India every day has its own importance and historical events attached to it. In this blog, we will be providing you with some interesting events and facts that have happened on this day in history- May 15
What Happened in India on May 15?
- 1873 – Proposal was passed today to dissolve East India Company.
- 1992 – BSE was closed and Harshad Mehta was suspended.
1998 – Pandit Ravi Shankar received an award at Polar music award
What Happened Around the World on May 15?
1718 – The world’s 1st machine gun was patented by a London lawyer James Puckle.
- 1896 – 78 people lost their lives due to tornado in Texas
- 1914 – Marouf, savetier de Caire opera by Henri Rabaud was premiered in Paris
- 1928 – In the silent film Plane Crazy, Mickey Mouse made his first-ever appearance.
- 1930 – In the United flight from San Francisco to Cheyenne, Ellen Church became the 1st female airline stewardess.
- 1940 – First McDonald’s restaurant was opened in San Bernardino, California by Richard and Maurice McDonald
- 1948 – Israel was attacked by Troops from Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia.
- 1955 – Nuclear test performed by the USA at Nevada Test Site.
- 1957 – Britain tested the first hydrogen bomb – Operation Grapple near Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean.
- 1958 – Sputnik III launched by USSR.
- 1963– If I Had a Hammer wins a grammy award, It was the first Grammy awarded to Peter, Paul & Mary.
- 1983 – Implosion destroyed a hotel in Boston known as Madison Hotel.
- 1997 – ABCNEWS.com launched by ABC News & Starwave Corp.
- 2001 – R. Kelly released a single featuring Jay-Z and Boo & Gotti named “Fiesta” that was awarded Billboard Song of the Year 2001.
- 2002 – Michael Moore documentary Bowling for Columbine was premiered at the Cannes Film Festival
- 2010 – Jessica Watson became the youngest person that sailed solo, without any breaks and assistance around the globe at age 16.
Famous Birthdays on May 15
- 1892 – Jimmy Wilde was a Welsh professional boxer and was also among the 13th greatest fighter of the 20th century.
- 1904 – Clifton Fadiman was a popular American TV host that was part of shows like Information Please and Quiz Kids was born on this day in Brooklyn, New York
- 1924 – German actress famous for a role in movies Monsoon, Bengal Brigade, Americano, Ursula Thiess born in Hamburg, Germany
- 1952 – David Brandon is an American businessman who was CEO of Toys “R” Us and President of Domino’s Pizza was born in Dearborn, Michigan
- 1967 – Famous Bollywood actress Madhuri Dixit was born on this day.
1987 – Olympic gold 2012 in Tennis Andy Murray was born in Glasgow, Scotland
This was all about the interesting and intriguing events that occurred on May 15! We hope you have had fun reading this blog! For more such entertaining and informative content, keep following us on Leverage Edu. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.