GMAT Eligibility Criteria 2023: Individuals aspiring to pursue an MBA or any degree pertaining to the fields of business and management from prestigious business schools must attain a stellar GMAT score. As one of the most widely recognised MBA entrance exams, the GMAT is taken by thousands of students each year.
The Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) administers the GMAT exam to assess applicants’ aptitude, academic prowess, competence and preparedness for thriving in the rigorous academic culture of some of the best business schools in the word. It is imperative for MBA aspirants to review the GMAT eligibility criteria prior to registering for the test. Read the blog to know more about the GMAT eligibility criteria and requirements.
|Graduate Management Admission Test
|GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council)
|All Nationalities Accepted
|18 YearsCandidates belonging to the 13-17 age group require written proof of their guardian’s consent before taking the GMAT exam.No upper age limit has been prescribed
|Number of Attempts
|5 times in a calendar year and up to 8 times in a lifetime
|Retaking the GMAT exam
|16 Days (Minimum)
This Blog Includes:
- GMAT Eligibility Criteria 2023
- GMAT Eligibility Criteria for Re-attempts
- Importance of GMAT Eligibility Criteria
GMAT Eligibility Criteria 2023
GMAC has not prescribed any eligibility criteria for the GMAT exam. However, there are some important points that you must know before applying for the exam. Here are the eligibility criteria you need to take into consideration before applying for the GMAT test:
- As such, there is no upper limit to appearing for the GMAT test.
- GMAC has prescribed a minimum age limit of an aspirant of at least 18 years.
- Candidates falling within the age range of 13-17 years are eligible for appearing in the test provided. Aspirants falling in this age category must submit their written consent with due consideration of their legal parents/guardians.
As already mentioned, GMAC has not defined any eligibility criteria related to the examination. However, those who are applying for master’s or PG diploma degrees must hold a graduate degree in any discipline from a recognised university.
Language Eligibility Criteria for GMAT
- Basic understanding and proficiency in the English language are compulsory.
- You must be able to tackle tricky questions in the examination. To do that, your familiarity with the English language plays a vital role.
- As such, there is no work experience prescribed by GMAC. However, some of the top business schools may require you to have work experience of at least 3-5 years.
- Candidates with relevant and sufficient years of experience are highly preferred to adjust and contribute to effective business methods of learning.
Other Restrictions on GMAT Eligibility Criteria
- To appear for the GMAT test, GMAC has not set any restrictions related to gender, age, nationality, religion as well as academic background.
- A special exam accommodation can be provided to differently-abled candidates based on their proof of medical documentation.
GMAT Eligibility Criteria for Re-attempts
Students who are not satisfied with their GMAT scores attained in the first attempt can always opt for a GMAT retake. Clearing the GMAT, especially with your desired score, can be challenging, particularly if you are taking the exam for the first time. This is where the GMAT retake policy comes in as a valuable feature. Reattempting the GMAT exam can provide insight into your areas of weakness and help you rectify them to achieve a better score. Consider GMAT retakes as an extended opportunity to strive for better results. When it comes to the GMAT eligibility for retaking the exam, students must note the following points:
- The GMAT can only be retaken after 16 days of the scheduled date.
- The GMAT can only be taken five times each year by an applicant.
- A test-taker is limited to eight attempts at the exam over their lifetime.
- A candidate who achieves the highest GMAT score is required to wait five years before taking the test again.
- The exam taker must register for each GMAT retake attempt.
What is the Palm Vein Identification in GMAT?
GMAC takes this measure to guard against test-taking forgery. At check-in, candidates are required to present a palm vein impression as identification. It is difficult for someone to take the GMAT on someone else’s behalf thanks to the palm vein reader bio-metric. To make sure the exam is fair, this measure is being taken.
Importance of GMAT Eligibility Criteria
Your top concern should be meeting the GMAT qualifying requirements if you wish to enrol in a prominent MBA programme. GMAT eligibility is a frequent concern shared by almost all applicants to certain MBA programmes. Participants take the GMAT exam after their eligibility has been confirmed, and their scores are determined by the methods they used to prepare. Because the GMAT exam evaluation is “computer adaptive,” it is not quite a stroll in the park. Along with working hard to study for the exam, candidates must use strategy and analyse the GMAT’s analytics as an aptitude assessment test. GMAT test administrators evaluate candidates who will revolutionise the corporate world using the idea of “Artificial Intelligence.”
The basic GMAT eligibility criteria require you to be 18 years of age, however, if you are below 18 years of age, you can legally take the due consent of your parents/ guardians with written proof of permission. Yes, there is no upper age limit on the test.
You are not eligible to appear in the GMAT test after your 12th standard. Graduation is a mandatory requirement for appearing in GMAT.
You must be at least 18 years old to participate. Those between the ages of 13 and 17 must obtain written permission from a parent or legal guardian to take the GMAT exam. There is no maximum age for taking the GMAT exam.
You need to have prior work experience to give GMAT examination. It is important to know that GMAT scores are valid for 5 years. The scores can be used to apply to colleges. If we talk about IIM Bangalore, they would require around 4 years of experience for admission into the PGPEX program.
Hope you are clear with the GMAT eligibility criteria. Getting a score of 750+ can be daunting for many, however, the best GMAT faculty at study abroad can help you do that. Enrol with us and get live sessions, personalized study plans, doubt clarification, and effective results!