In today’s world, Canada has emerged as the most sought-after destination for those aspiring to pursue education abroad. Renowned for its top-tier educational institutions and high quality of life, Canada has captured the attention of students from across the globe. However, navigating the process of studying in a foreign country can be challenging without a thorough understanding of its procedures and regulations. While you may have already chosen your dream university in Canada and secured admission, you’ll find that even passing through airport security requires the correct documentation. One crucial document in this regard is the Canada Student Permit. But fear not, as we are here to provide you with a comprehensive guide on all the essential details you need to obtain this study permit for Canada.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Canada Study Permit?
- What are the Intakes in Canada?
- Eligibility Criteria for Canada Study Permit
- How to Apply for a Canada Study Permit?
- Documents Required for Canada Student Permit
- How Long Can You Stay in Canada with a Study Permit?
- Canada Student Permit Processing Time
- How to Apply for an Extension for Canada Student Permit?
- Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada
What is Canada Study Permit?
No, don’t confuse it with the Canadian visa. Canada study permit is a document issued by the government of Canada which allows students of foreign origin to secure admission into any Canadian educational institution. You can get admission into universities across Canada without a study permit but before you immigrate to Canada you need to secure this document. So, you need to apply for it before you travel to Canada.
What are the Intakes in Canada?
Three types of admissions are available at Canadian universities and colleges. The three available intakes in Canada are:
|Fall Semester||In January.|
|Winter Semester||In The Month Of January.|
|Summer Semester||This intake takes place in either April or May. In this period, there are only a few programs and colleges available.|
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Study Permit
To be eligible to apply for a Canada Student Permit, the candidate must fulfil the following requirements.
- The candidate must have secured admission into any Canadian educational institution.
- A valid proof of the candidate’s financial ability to cover the educational expenses.
- The candidate must have a character certificate from a legal authority stating no involvement in criminal offences of any kind.
- A medical certificate from a qualified professional.
- Must have cleared IELTS with a score of 6.0 or higher.
Latest Update: Canada to Reopen Borders for Students
How to Apply for a Canada Study Permit?
The application cost for a Canada Student Permit is CAD 150. For students of Indian origin, there are two modes through which they can apply.
Student Direct Stream (SDS)
For any legal Indian resident, this is the preferred mode of application as this is comparatively faster than the other mode. Most applications are processed within 20 days of filling out the application form. Under this model, all the procedures take place online. You need to submit all the required documents and your biometrics for the completion of the application procedure for a Canada Student Permit through the Student Direct stream.
New IELTS Requirements for Canada SDS
- IELTS requirements for Canada SDS will change starting on August 10, 2023, according to IRCC.
- IELTS test takers utilizing the SDS program will now need to achieve an overall 6.0 band in order to be accepted.
- To emphasize the significance of the test-taker’s comprehensive abilities, it was decided to remove the individual score of the 6.0 bands.
- The most recent modification to the IELTS criteria is intended to provide international students with better possibilities to complete their studies in Canada.
Canada Student Permit Application
The Canada Student Permit is a vital document for international students wishing to study in Canada. To apply, first secure admission to a Canadian educational institution and receive a formal acceptance letter. Then, prepare the necessary documents, including proof of financial stability and a valid passport. Create an account on the Canadian government’s website, complete the online application, and pay the processing fee. Biometrics may be required, followed by an interview at a local visa application centre. Once approved, you will receive your study permit, allowing you to study in Canada while adhering to its regulations and conditions. Remember to apply well in advance of your intended start date.
Documents Required for Canada Student Permit
Before filling out any form the most important thing to do is collect all the required documents. So, for your convenience, we have come up with a list of all the necessary documents required for obtaining a Canada Student Permit.
- Proof of acceptance – When you get admitted into any Candidate university, it will send you a letter of acceptance confirming your admission.
- Proof of identity – a copy of your passport and recent passport-size photographs.
- Proof of Financial Support – You need to have documents which could prove that you or your family is capable of funding your education, stay and other living expenses in Canada.
- Proof of qualifications – The candidate must submit all the documents corresponding to their qualifications.
Must Read: Top 10 Colleges in Canada
Documents Required for Proof of Financial Support
- Proof of having a Canadian bank account in your name
- GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) from a Canadian educational institution
- In case students have applied for an educational loan then corresponding documents need to be provided.
- Copy of the scholarship letter mentioning the benefits. (If applicable)
- Proof of full payment of tuition fee for the first year of study. This could be in the form of a receipt of payment from the DLI (Designated Learning Institution)
How Long Can You Stay in Canada with a Study Permit?
A study permit normally lasts for the duration of your program plus an additional 90 days. You have 90 days to prepare to depart Canada or to request a stay extension.
If you’re taking prerequisite courses
If your school requires you to attend courses before being accepted into the main program (conditional admission), your study permit will be valid for the duration of those courses plus an additional year. You must apply to extend your stay as a student after being accepted into the main program.
If you finish your studies after your study permit expires
If you do not complete your courses by the expiration date on your permit, you must request to extend your student visa. You’ll have to stop studying and leave Canada if you don’t.
If you finish your studies before your study permit expires
If you complete your studies early, your permit will expire 90 days after you complete them, regardless of the date indicated on the study permit. You’ve finished your studies when your school sends you a completion letter, transcript, degree, or diploma for the first time. You must show proof of the date your school notified you or the date your degree, diploma, or certificate was received. If you don’t have proof, we’ll use the document’s earliest issuance date. This date may be confirmed with your school.
Canada Student Permit Processing Time
The student visa for Canada processing time has been disrupted due to the ongoing pandemic. The Canadian visa application process has been streamlined and students preparing to join universities for the upcoming intake are given priority. The general processing time for a student permit in Canada is 12 weeks and for an extension is 34 days.
|Processing Time||Student Permit Canada|
|Student Permit (Outside)||12 weeks|
|Student Permit (Extension)||34 days|
|Work Permit (Outside)||29 weeks|
How to Apply for an Extension for Canada Student Permit?
Students have to apply for an extension on their student permit in Canada 30 days before the expiration date. Here’s the application process for Student Permit Canada:
- Apply online and fill out the application form
- Students need to upload scanned copies of their documents and a valid debit/credit card
- Students are required to answer some questions on the application
- Once the application is complete, students can pay the fees and submit the form
Also Read: Oldest Universities in Canada
Documents Required for Study Permit Extension
- Proof of payment
- Proof of acceptance letter from a DLI institution (but not limited to it)
- Proof of academic standing from the university
- Proof of funds
- Photocopies of the passport
- Photocopies of identification
- Photocopies of current immigration document
Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada
Students studying in Canada are eligible to stay back in the country and apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Students have a window of 180 days to apply for the permit after receiving their final marks and working in the country for up to 3 years on the permit. Documents required are an official letter from your school and an official transcript or copy to confirm that you have studied at the university. To work in the country, the candidates must have completed at least one year of education from DIL registered university.
How to Apply?
To begin with the admission process, one needs to follow certain step-by-step procedures to ensure that you don’t miss anything while sending your application. The following pointers elaborate upon the major steps you should keep in mind while planning to study in Canada.
- Find a Suitable Course and University
Thoroughly research the available diploma and degree programs in your field of interest as well as the universities offering them. Canada is globally famous for its prospective courses in varied specialisations, be it Science, Technology, Humanities or Commerce.
- Get the Paperwork Ready
Applying to study in Canada can be a lengthy procedure and it’s important to start your application as early as possible. Some of the basic application essentials include transcripts and mark sheets for your academic records, language proficiency scores (IELTS Score for Canada), letters of motivation, letters of recommendation (LOR), and Statement of Purpose (SOP), amongst others. We have also given a rundown of the different documents you need in the next section.
- Familiarize yourself with Admission Requirements
Once you have selected the right course, check its admission requirements on the university’s official website. Some of the prominent things you need to ensure are academic-related specifications, criteria related to work experience, information about the intake, etc.
- Filling the Application Form & Submission
Major universities in Canada conduct the application procedure through an online medium where the candidates need to fill in their personal and academic details, submit the necessary documents as well as the required application fee. Make sure that you carefully add all your details and go through them once again before the final submission.
- Gear Up for Visa Application
Once your candidature has been successfully accepted by the university, you can start preparing your visa application. It generally needs around 60 days as well as demands many documents, so it becomes important that you commence your visa application as early as you can.
Also Read: Study in Canada without IELTS
Ans. A student Permit in Canada is a temporary residency awarded to international students who wish to study in the country.
Ans. The processing time for a student permit in Canada is 12 weeks.
Ans. Proof of payment
Proof of acceptance letter from a DLI institution (but not limited to it)
Proof of academic standing from the university
Proof of funds
Photocopies of the passport
Photocopies of identification
Photocopies of current immigration document
Ans. A Canadian student permit is a document issued by the government of Canada which allows students of foreign origin to secure admission into any Canadian educational institution.
Ans. The fee for a student permit in Canada is CAD 150
We hope that now you have all the necessary details required to apply for a Canada Student Permit. But as the application process is quite long you might need some assistance. In that case, our Leverage Edu experts are here to help and guide you through the process. Sign up for a free session now for study abroad guidance.