Have you ever wondered what it takes to transform a barren piece of land into a well-organized and planned cityscape? If the marvels of architecture steal your heart away, then the fascinating world of BA in Urban Planning might be your cup of tea. It is a Bachelor-level course that usually spans around 3-4 years. Moreover, it provides students with thorough knowledge of the entire planning and designing process. In this blog, we will explore this course in detail along with top universities to consider, eligibility criteria, and scope.
|Course name||BA in Urban Planning|
|Course duration||3-4 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with at least 50-55% marks.|
|Career options||Housing manager, Local government officer, Historic buildings inspector, Conservation officer|
This Blog Includes:
Why Study BA in Urban Planning?
- Problem-solving: A BA in Urban Planning helps students learn how to tackle complex urban challenges with ease. They get to handle environmental sustainability, traffic congestion, housing shortages, and more such issues.
- Sustainable life: Graduates of this field can contribute to creating environmentally friendly and sustainable urban environments.
- Infrastructural development: By opting for a BA in Urban Planning, students can make significant infrastructural development and improve the overall life of people in public spaces.
- Interdisciplinary approach: Students can make use of its multidisciplinary approach that generally combines different fields like architecture, sociology, and economics for a holistic understanding.
- Career Versatility: Another advantage of pursuing a BA in Urban Planning is that it opens doors to diverse career options.
- Global Relevance: To your surprise, a BA in Urban Planning has global relevance. This is because such skills are in demand worldwide which also offers job security.
Top Universities to Study BA in Urban Planning
Here is a list of top universities to study BA in Urban Planning along with their QS ranking.
|University||QS Rank||Course Name||Fees||Duration|
|Newcastle University||110||Urban Planning BA Honours||£24,700||3 years|
|University of Liverpool||176||Urban Planning BA (Hons)||3 years|
|University of Sheffield||104||Urban Studies BA||£22,680||3 years|
|Oxford Brookes University||413||Urban Design, Planning and Development BA (Hons)||£15,200||3 years|
|University of Greenwich||671 – 680||Urban Design, BA Hons||£17,000||3 years|
|London South Bank University||851 – 900||BA (Hons) URBAN AND ENVIRONMENTAL PLANNING||£15900.00||3 years|
|University of Illinois Chicago||323||BA in Urban Studies|
|University of North Texas||1001 – 1200||Urban Policy and Planning (BA)||$38,114.|
|Toronto Metropolitan University||851 – 900||Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning||$33,423 – $34,665||4 Years|
|University of Saskatchewan||345||BA Regional and Urban Planning||$33,069||4 years|
The eligibility to study BA in Urban Planning differs from university to country shortlisted. Here is a general overview to give you an idea of the same:
- Students must have completed their 10+2 education from a recognized board or institute.
- Applicants must have achieved at least 50-55% marks during their senior secondary education.
- International students are required to clear English Language Proficiency tests (IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo).
Here is a list of the documents you need to submit as part of your application process:
- A completely filled University application form.
- Proof of finances to cover expenses.
- A valid passport and visa.
- Academic transcripts
- Work experience (if any)
- LOR and SOP
- Proof of English Language Proficiency tests (if applicable).
1. Get your academic transcripts and gather the documents mentioned on the university’s official website.
3. Create a new profile on the university website to start the process.
4. Enter the required personal and academic details on the admission portal.
5. Now, upload a scanned copy of the documents.
6. Finally, pay the application fee to proceed.
|Newcastle University||Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships||£4,000 tuition fee awards|
|University of Liverpool||University of Liverpool Undergraduate Global Advancement Scholarship||up to £5,000 off on tuition fees|
|The University of Sheffield||International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship 2024||£10,000|
|University of Greenwich||International Scholarships Award||£3,000|
|London South Bank University||International Merit Scholarships||£3,000|
Scope After Pursuing a BA in Urban Planning
A Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Urban Planning is one of the most exciting career options. It opens up a wide spectrum of career opportunities in the same and related fields. By pursuing this degree, graduates can pursue careers as urban planners. This way they get to play a significant role in shaping today’s urban landscape.
They can also delve into policy analysis, working with government agencies and NGOs to shape urban policies that address issues such as housing, transportation, and environmental sustainability. Additionally, opportunities in real estate development, architecture, and landscape design await those with a BA in Urban Planning, offering the chance to contribute to the physical transformation and beautification of cities. With the ever-growing importance of sustainable urbanization, the scope for graduates in this field is promising, as they become instrumental in creating livable and resilient cities for the future.
Here are the most popular job options you can pursue after completing a BA in Urban Planning:
- Urban designer
- Town planner
- Housing manager
- Local government officer
- Historic buildings inspector
- Conservation officer
As mentioned above, urban planning offers a wide range of career opportunities. Graduates in this field can pursue careers in development, design, and planning. Moreover, they can also work in different industries ranging from tourism and housing to transport and environmental consultancy.
Students who wish to pursue a career in urban planning can opt for different course options such as:
Urban and regional planning
The answer to this question relies significantly on your individual preferences and interests. Nonetheless, urban planning is one of the most exciting and demanding course options for students. If your interests run parallel with architecture, then this course can offer a diverse range of career options.
This blog covers all the information you need to know about BA in Urban Planning. If you have queries or suggestions, drop them in the comments below. For further help, our expert team at Leverage Edu is available to assist you. Drop us a call at 1800572000 today to get an absolutely free counseling session!