Dental hygienist courses are educational programs that provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to become licensed dental hygienists. These courses typically include a combination of classroom instruction, laboratory work, and clinical experience. To become a dental hygienist in Canada, you must complete an accredited dental hygiene program and pass a certification exam. Here’s a rundown of the eligibility, cost, and scope of the dental hygienist course in Canada.
|Course Name||Dental Hygienist|
|Popular Course||Undergraduate Postgraduate|
|Duration||Undergraduate- 3-4 Year Postgraduate- 2 Year|
|Eligibility||Undergraduate- 10+2Postgraduate- Graduate|
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Dental Hygienist?
- Why study Dental Hygienists
- Top Colleges & Universities for Dental Hygienist Course In Canada
- Dental Hygienist Course
- Cost Of Studying In Dental Hygiene Colleges In Canada
- Eligibility Requirements
- English Proficiency Test
- Application Process
- Career Scope
- Top Recruiters
What is a Dental Hygienist?
A dental hygienist is a licensed oral health professional who provides preventive dental care, including teeth cleaning, oral cancer screenings, and fluoride treatments. A dental hygienist course typically includes classroom instruction, laboratory work, and clinical experience. Students learn about oral anatomy and physiology, dental hygiene techniques, patient assessment and care, and radiography. The main duty of a Dental Hygienist is to educate patients about oral health.
Why study Dental Hygienists
There are several reasons why someone might choose to study dental hygienist courses:
- Dental hygiene is a growing field, with strong job prospects and competitive salaries. Graduates of dental hygienist courses can work in a variety of settings, including private dental offices, public health clinics, hospitals, and community health centres.
- Dental hygienists play an important role in promoting oral health and preventing dental problems. By providing preventive care and education, dental hygienists can help patients maintain healthy teeth and gums.
- Dental hygienists often have the option to work part-time or full-time and may be able to choose their own hours or work in a variety of settings.
- Dental hygienist courses provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to become licensed dental hygienists. Some programs also offer opportunities for advanced coursework, research, and specialisation.
- For many dental hygienists, the satisfaction of helping patients maintain good oral health can be personally rewarding.
Also, Read- Study Abroad in Canada: Tuition Fees Exempted for Canadian Study Permits
Top Colleges & Universities for Dental Hygienist Course In Canada
There are many colleges and universities in Canada that offer dental hygienist courses. Here are some of the top schools for dental hygiene education in Canada
|Universities in Canada||Qs Ranking 2023|
|University of Alberta||110|
|University of British Columbia||47|
|University of Manitoba||651-700|
|University of Toronto||=34|
|Vancouver Island University||1002-1200|
Dental Hygienist Course
These are the Dental Hygienist programs available in Canada
- Diploma in Dental Hygienist
- Certification In Dental Hygienist
- Bachelor of Dental Hygienist
- Bachelor of Science Dental Hygiene Specialisation
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene
- Master of Science in Dental Hygienist
- MS in Dental Hygiene
- Doctor of Dental Surgery
- Reserach Program In Dental Hygienist
Cost Of Studying In Dental Hygiene Colleges In Canada
The cost of studying Dental Hygiene in Canada depends on two factors, cost of living and tuition fees. Let’s learn them one by one:
|Tuition Fees||Cost of Living|
|The dental hygienist course fee in Canada ranges between 7000- 46,000 CAD annually.||The cost of living in Canada ranges between 900 CAD to 1500 a month. Most of the expenses are accommodation and the lifestyle choice you make.|
Course-wise Average Fees
This is the course-wise average fee for a Dental Hygienist course in Canada
|Courses Level||Average Course free in INR||Average Course free in CAD|
|Certification in Dental Hygienist||9,20,922 INR||15,137 CAD|
|Diploma In Dental Hygienist||25,11,024 INR||41,273 CAD|
|Graduation in Dental Hygienist||27,58,584 INR||46,000 CAD|
|Post Graduation in Dental Hygienist||27,85,947 INR||45,800 CAD|
Eligibility requirements are based on the level of degree, here are the Basic eligibility requirements given below
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Some programs may require specific high school courses, such as biology and chemistry.
- Some programs may also require you to complete a certain number of hours of observation or work experience in a dental office.
Also, Read- Study in Canada Without IELTS
English Proficiency Test
Here are the eligible score for the English proficiency test, which students need to submit at the time of enrollment in the Dental Hygiene program
The application process for dental hygienist courses in Canada can vary slightly from school to school, but generally, the process involves the following steps:
- Research dental hygiene programs offered by various schools in Canada. Check the program requirements, tuition fees, and application deadlines.
- Submit an application to the school of your choice. Applications can typically be completed online, and you may be required to pay an application fee.
- Submit all required supporting documents, which may include high school transcripts, college transcripts (if applicable), letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.
- Some schools may require an interview as part of the application process.
- Wait for the school to notify you of its decision. If accepted, you will receive an offer letter and instructions on how to register for classes.
- Once accepted, register for classes and pay tuition fees.
These are the checklist of documents which is required to take admission in Dental Hygienist courses
- Academic Transcript
- Address proof
- English Proficiency Test
- Entrance Exam Score
Also, Read- Letter of Recommendation
Dental hygienists in Canada work in a variety of settings, including private dental offices, public health clinics, hospitals, and community health centres. Dental hygienists are registered dental professionals who help patients maintain their oral health by preventing and treating periodontal disease and promoting good oral health practice
- They provide preventive dental care, such as teeth cleaning, oral cancer screenings, and fluoride treatments.
- They also educate patients on proper oral hygiene techniques and may assist dentists with procedures.
- The job outlook for dental hygienists in Canada is strong, with good job prospects and a competitive salary.
Job Prospect and Salary
Graduating as a Dental hygienist opens a room of job opportunities for you. Based on your skills and experience, the pay scale and job profile will vary in Canada accordingly.
|Job Positions||Average Salary In CAD||Average Salary In-CAD|
|Dental Public Health Officer||102,409 CAD||62,58,495|
|Dental Hygienist||63,667 CAD||38,90,785|
|Dental Office Manager||100,000 CAD||61,11,072|
|Treatment Coordinator, Dental||51,491 CAD||31,46,652|
|Dental Assistant||41,256 CAD||25,21,431|
Here is the list of Top Recruiters, hire Dental Hyginest Degree Holder
- Alberta Health Services
- Altima Dental
- General universities, etc.
Ans. A dental hygienist is a licensed oral health professional who provides preventive dental care, including teeth cleaning, oral cancer screenings, and fluoride treatments.
Ans. A dental hygienist course typically includes classroom instruction, laboratory work, and clinical experience. Students learn about oral anatomy and physiology, dental hygiene techniques, patient assessment and care, and radiography.
Ans. Most dental hygiene programs in Canada are two-year programs, although some schools may offer a bachelor’s degree or advanced degrees in dental hygiene.
This was all about the Dental hygienist course. Want to make a career in this field? Reach out to Leverage Edu experts and find the right program and university for yourself! Book a FREE counselling session today and get all your study abroad queries sorted!