The Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme assists servicemen from the Central Armed Police Forces and the Assam Rifles by supporting education for their dependent kids. Recognising their contributions, the scheme provides financial assistance for higher studies, covering tuition and allowances. It strengthens families and recognises the commitment of these forces, promoting educational advancement and a brighter future.
|Name of the Scholarship
|Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme
|Welfare and Rehabilitation Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India
|National Defence Fund
|Widows and Wards of servicemen and personnel
|Mode of Application
|Official Website for application
This Blog Includes:
- Important Dates for PMSS
- What is the Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme?
- Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme Eligibility
- Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme Application Process
The Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme is a special scholarship scheme that helps in the upliftment of society through education. These scholarships are awarded to widows and wards of martyrs or retired servicemen of the Central Armed Police Forces & Assam Rifles and Police Personnel of State and Union Territories.
The candidates can apply for this educational scholarship to study various technical and professional courses. The courses in the technical field include those related to medical courses, management and various other courses approved by AICTE or UGC. Introduced in 2006 this scholarship benefits 5,500 candidates every year by aiding the education of the awardees.
Important Dates for PMSS
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme welcomes new applications every year. The dates regarding the application and other important events are released by the Welfare and Rehabilitation Board online. Dates for the 2023-2024 awarding have not been released yet. The important dates regarding PMSS Applications are given below:
|Application Process starts in
|Application Submission Deadline
|Second week of December
|Defective Applications Verification Deadline
|Third week of December
|Institute Verification Deadline
|Fourth week of December
|CAPFs and AR Verification Deadline
|First and Second week of January
|Generation of Lot and merit list
|Second to Fourth week of January
|Last week of January to First week of February
|Generation of Payment file
|First and Second of February
|Release of Scholarship Amount
|Second to Last week of February
|Personal Letter Dispatch from the President
|2nd week of March
Here is a list of other Scholarships offered:
What is the Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme?
The Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme is allotted to the wards and widows of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and Assam Rifles (AR). From the year 2019 onwards the benefits of the scholarship were extended to dependants of Police Personnel of States and Union Territories.
Number of Scholarships
For dependants of CAPFs and ARs, there are 2000 scholarships that are offered every year to boys and girls. This number is outside the scholarships that are extended through renewal. There are 500 such scholarships for dependants of Police Personnel in States and Union Territories. All these scholarships are equally distributed between boys and girls and are non-transferable to the other gender.
Duration of Scholarship
The Duration of the scholarship is up to 5 years. The duration varies in different cases based on the course being pursued. In the case of a Bachelor’s degree, the duration will be for 3 years and in the case of an integration degree, the duration of the scholarship is going to be 5 years.
In the case of both CAPF&AR and Police Personnel, the amount of scholarship is the same. The girls are offered INR 3000 per month and the boys are given INR 2500 per month throughout the duration of the Scholarship. The amount is paid annually to the candidates who are selected as a collected amount of INR 3,600 for girls and INR 3000 for boys.
Also Read: Next Genius Scholarship Program 2023
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme Eligibility
The type of candidates who are eligible to apply for the scholarships under different categories are given as follows.
- Dependants including wards and widows of the CAPFs & AR are eligible.
- Wards of people disabled or who died in service are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Dependants of Retired and Serving Personnel below the Officer rank pursuing technical courses.
- A gap of 1 year with a reasonable cause can be entertained.
Minimum Entry Qualification for PMSS
The organising body has a certain set of rules and criteria for allotting the scholarship to students. The candidates must see to it that they fulfil the criteria before filling out the application form. The criteria for eligibility are given below.
- The candidate must have completed 10+2 or an equivalent Diploma or Graduation as required in each case.
- The relevant level of education must have been completed with at least 60% marks.
- Those admitted through lateral entry after a Diploma in the 2nd year of a technical course are also eligible to apply for PMSS.
- In case the candidate has passed through CBSE in class 12th, then their percentage is calculated based on the best of the 5 subjects that they have appeared for.
- Eligibility criteria other than the minimum eligibility qualifications include that the degree pursued by the candidate should be recognised by the concerned government body. For example courses like BE, BDS, B.Tech, MBBS etc.
- The government bodies whose recognition is considered liable are the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the Medical Council of India (MCI), and the University Grant Commission (UGC).
- The applicant’s Aadhar number should be linked to the bank.
Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme Application Process
The Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme is available to candidates all over India. The application for the scholarship can be posted on the new version of the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). To avail of the scholarship this year, the candidate should have applied on or before the 31st of October 2022.
The details regarding documents and applications are available on the official websites of the National Scholarship Portal, Welfare and Rehabilitation Board, and Central Armed Police Forces & Assam Rifles. The process to apply is as follows:
- Visit National Scholarship Portal’s official website.
- Select the ‘New Registration’ option.
- Application guidelines list will appear. Read the guidelines and click on Continue to Proceed.
- Fill out the registration forms with all required information and click ‘Register’.
- System-generated login details will be sent to the candidate’s emails.
- Login to the NSP using the credentials provided at the time of registration.
- The login is completed after an OTP is sent to the registered mobile number.
- The candidates have to verify the OTP and then use it to change their passwords.
- Once logged in the candidates have to fill out the application form carefully.
- Then proceed towards submitting the required documents on the portal.
- Click on ‘Submit’ the application.
Required Documents For Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme
These documents are mandatory to be submitted by the candidate at the time of application. While applying online the candidate should submit a soft copy of the required documents on the NSP Portal. The list of Documents is as follows.
- An H.O.O.-issued service certificate for those who are wards of serving personnel.
- A self-attested copy of the Marksheet based on the Minimum Entry Qualification.
- A PPO or Discharge Certificate is Mandatory in case of candidates with health-related problems.
- A Disability certificate for candidates under the PwD category.
- Death certificate for those whose parents have died in service.
- Certificate of Gallantry Award if applicable.
To apply for PMSS one has to visit the National Scholarship Portal and register as a new applicant. Then using the system-generated credentials one has to log in to their accounts and fill out the application form, upload documents and then submit.
The Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme or PMSS is an initiative to support the education of wards and widows of CAPFs & AR and Police Personnel of States and Union Territories. The scholarship offers annual monetary compensation to the beneficiaries to aid their higher education. The Boys receive INR 3000 per month whereas the Girls receive 3600 per month.
The wards and widows of CAPFs & AR and Police Personnel of States and Union Territories who are serving/disabled/dead in service are eligible for this scholarship. The applicant however has to fulfil the Minimum Eligibility Qualification (MEQ), that is to have 60% marks in the qualifying examination to avail of the scholarship and 50% in the given course for renewal.
So this was all about the Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme for CAPF and Assam Rifles. For more information related to various scholarship schemes in India, stay tuned to our Indian scholarships page and subscribe to Leverage Edu. Thank you for reading!