Every year the Embassy of India announces Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship slots under the Ministry of Ayush, Government of India under the Ayush Scholarship Scheme.
The official notification of the scholarship for the year 2023-24 will be released soon on the official website of ICCR. Ayush scholarship encourages foreign nationals to apply and study various courses like Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy in the institutes/universities of India.
|Name of the Scholarship||Ayush Scholarship Scheme|
|Scholarship Sponsored by||Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR)|
|Level of Sponsorship||International Level|
|Area of Study||Multiple such as Yoga, Ayurveda, Siddha, etc.|
|Mode of Application||Online|
This Blog Includes:
Interested foreign nationals may apply for Undergraduate (UG), Post-graduate (PG), and PhD courses in Ayush disciplines as follows.
- Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery (BAMS)
- Bachelor of Siddha Medicine & Surgery (BSMS)
- Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery (BUMS)
- Bachelor of Homeopathy Medicine & Surgery (BHMS)
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Yoga (3 years)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Yoga Shastra (3 years)
- Postgraduate (PG) in Ayurveda (3 years)
- Postgraduate (PG) in Siddha (3 years)
- Postgraduate (PG) in Unani (3 years)
- Postgraduate (PG) in Homoeopathy (3 years)
- PhD in Ayurveda (3 years)
- PhD in Yoga (3 years)
Also Read: Indian Government Schemes to Help Study Abroad Aspirants
There are certain eligibility criteria that an aspiring applicant must meet to receive the scholarship. The candidate must be 18 years of age at the time of admission to the Indian institutes/universities. However, there is no upper age limit. Additionally, to be eligible for the Ayush scholarship, the applicant must fulfil the educational qualification criteria of the course/degree, as noted below:
|Undergraduate Courses||Eligibility Criteria|
|Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)
Bachelor of Siddha Medicine and Surgery (BSMS)
Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (BUMS)
Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)
|12 years of schooling with science subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Biology)|
|Bachelor of Science in Yoga
Bachelor of Arts in Yoga Shastra
|12 years of schooling|
|Postgraduate Courses||Eligibility Criteria|
|MD Ayurveda||BAMS degree recognised by Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM)|
|MD Siddha||BSMS degree recognised by Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM)|
|MD Unani||BUMS degree recognised by Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM)|
|MD Homeopathy||BHMS degree recognised by Central Council of Homeopathy (CCH)|
|PhD Courses||Eligibility Criteria|
|PhD in Ayurveda||MD (Ayurveda) degree recognised by CCIM|
|PhD in Unani||MD (Unani) degree recognised by CCIM|
Financial Terms and Conditions
Under the Ayush Scholarship Scheme, candidates are offered various benefits to help them in their overall studying journey. The various benefits are discussed below:
Candidates who are selected for the scholarship will also be awarded a living allowance/stipend to help them manage their expenses. The amount awarded is discussed in the table below:
|Undergraduation||INR 18,000 per month|
|INR 35,000 per month
INR 38,000 per month
INR 38,000 per month
|INR 43,500 per month
INR 43,500 per month
The contingent rent varies according to the course a candidate is pursuing. The below table gives a breakdown of the amount:
|Undergraduate and Diploma (Yoga)||INR 4,500 per annum|
|PhD Courses/MD/MS||INR 12,000 per annum|
House Rent Allowance
House rent allowance differs from one city to another owing to the expenses and cost of living involved. The details are discussed in the table below”
|Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Pune||Not exceeding INR 6,500 per month (as per actual)|
|Other cities||Not exceeding INR 5,000 per month (as per actual)|
|Tuition fee/other compulsory fees||As per actual|
Thesis and Dissertation Expense
The expenditure for the thesis and dissertation will be borne by the ICCR. However, the expenditure will be different for the PhD and MD/MS scholars. Candidates can refer to the below table for further details:
|For Phd Scholar||INR 10,000|
|For MD/MS and other courses required submission of project||INR 7,000|
To and Fro Airfare
The airfare for the cheapest and shortest route will be provided to the holders of the scholarship by the ICCR once at the time of admission and once after completion of the course from the capital of their country.
- The candidates are required to fill up the application form online on the A2A portal and submit the same before the deadline on the ICCR portal..
- Ayush scholarship covers tuition fees, living allowance, contingent grant, house rent allowance, and airfare. Foreign national candidates are advised to comply with admission formalities and procedures of the respective college/university in India.
- Once the application process is completed, no changes in courses/institutes/universities will be entertained.
- The applicant has to fill in 3 choices of institutes/universities in order of preference in the application form.
- The allocation of the institute/university will depend on the vacancy of the seat. If seats are unavailable, it is up to the decision of the Ministry of Ayush.
- The medium of language for teaching will be English and/or Hindi.
- The candidate has to confirm or deny the offer of admission within 15 days of receiving the admission offer otherwise the seat will be forfeited and offered to the candidate next on the waiting list.
- The Ayush scholarship is valid for the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries, Non-BIMSTEC countries, South-East Asian Region (SEAR) countries and Malaysia.
- There is no provision under the Ayush scholarship scheme 2023 to cover medical/health insurance.
- There is no provision for auto-renewal/revival of the Ayush scholarship scheme 2023.
No. The scholarship does not offer any medical insurance/benefit.
No, the Ayush scholarship is not applicable for auto-renewal/revival.
The official notification for the Ayush scholarship 2023 is yet to be released by the ICCR and the Ministry of Ayush.
In this blog, we have discussed the Ayush Scholarship Scheme in detail. We hope the candidates find this information useful and can use this blog as a basis to apply and reap the benefits of this scholarship.
For more such updates, keep an eye on Leverage Edu Indian scholarships page, and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.