The full form of UGC is University Grants Commission. As a result of the UGC Act 1956, the Indian government established UGC as a statutory entity. The UGC was founded with the intention of upholding the standards of higher education. It is in charge of distributing cash and grants to colleges and universities as well as recognizing Indian universities.
Also Read: UGC Scholarships
The Ministry of human resources development is responsible for regulating UGC. The committee’s duties include planning, evaluating, and maintaining high educational standards throughout the country. It has a regional office in Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bangalore, Guwahati, Bhopal, Pune, and Bhopal in addition to its headquarters in New Delhi.
Also Read: UGC NET Syllabus 2023
Brief History of UGC
- In order to govern and oversee all of the operations and duties of the three core Indian universities of Delhi, Banaras, and Aligarh, UGC was founded in 1945. In 1947, it was expanded to cover all Indian universities.
- The University Education Commission was founded in 1948 and 1949 to begin looking into and making suggestions for changes and additions to Indian university education under the leadership of S Radhakrishnan.
- In contrast to the United Kingdom University Grants Committee, the University Grants Board’s report was submitted in August 1949.
- The Indian government determined in 1950 that the UGC would oversee specific finances allocated to universities and other higher education institutes.
- Ultimately, the Commission was established on December 28, 1953, by Minister of Education, Natural Resources, and Scientific Research Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad.
- In order to rank all educational institutions, the Government of India established a National Institution of Ranking Framework under UGC in December 2015.
Functions of UGC
- Maintain contact with the State and Union administrations, as well as a number of universities.
- Determining and upholding the university’s standards for instruction, testing, and research.
- Examines the region’s tremendous growth in college and university enrollment.
- Create standards for tests like the CSIR NET, UGC NET, and ICAR NET.
- Create concepts for basic educational prerequisites.
- Provide guidelines for necessary improvements in colleges and other higher education institutions to the federal and state governments.
This was all about UGC full form. Get in touch with the experts at Leverage Edu in order to kickstart your study abroad journey, Indian Exams preparations, overseas universities, and all about the admissions process in detail.