The full form of MP is Member of Parliament. A politician who serves as a representative for a specific constituency is known as a member of parliament (MP). In many countries with bicameral legislatures, this expression refers to members of the lowest house, as higher houses may have a different title. When a member of parliament is elected or selected via an electoral list, he or she represents an electoral district known as a constituency. In India, a member of parliament is someone who belongs to either the Lok Sabha or the Rajya Sabha, the two houses that make up the Indian Parliament.
Also Read: Functions of Parliament
Eligibility Criteria to Become MP
Here are some of the criteria that candidates have to fulfill in order to become a member of parliament in India:
- Candidates must be citizens of India.
- Candidates cannot be under the age of 25.
- Candidates must be morally upright people.
- The court cannot sentence candidates to two or more years in prison.
- To be eligible to vote in any Indian parliamentary district, candidates must be registered.
- To be nominated, a candidate from a recognized political party needs to have one proposer from their district.
- In order to run alone, a candidate needs ten proposers.
- Candidates must offer a 25000 rupee security deposit.
Also Read: Features of Democracy
Grounds for Disqualification
There are specific grounds for disqualification, just as there are some requirements for a candidate to become a member of parliament. Let’s examine it now.
- Holds any profit on behalf of the Indian Government (apart from a position authorized by the Indian Parliament)
- In case a candidate is unstable and mentally
- Ceased to be an Indian citizen
- Any law approved by the Indian Parliament forbids them from doing so.
- If a candidate has a history of being convicted of bribery
- Has been penalized for supporting or participating in social violations including dowry, untouchability, or sati
- Has lost their job as a result of dishonesty or state corruption
Also Read: Best Political Science Books
This was all about MP full form. Visit the General Knowledge page to discover more intriguing articles about full forms. Get in touch with the experts at Leverage Edu in order to kickstart your study abroad journey.