The full form of SSL is Secure Socket Layer. Secure Socket Layer is a kind of security technology that provides people with the ability to secure confidential information/data following the process of encryption. The term ‘sockets’ indicates the socket method of exchanging information that tasks place between a client and a server program. For this data protection to work, a secure connection with the browser and the server has to be created. Moreover, an SSL-certified website shows a padlock icon before the URL, indicating that the website is safe and secure to conduct transactions.
Also Read: What is the Full Form of PSP?
Types of SSL Certificates
There are six different types of SSL certificates including:
- Unified Communications Certificate (UCC)
- Extended Validation Certificates (EV SSL)
- Wildcard SSL Certificates
- Organization Validated certificates (OV SSL)
- Domain Validated Certificates (DV SSL)
- Multi-Domain SSL Certificates (MDC)
Features of SSL
Following are some of the features of Secure Socket Layer that you might want to know about:
- Secure Socket Layer gives protection of network connection using symmetric-key cryptography.
- Secure Socket Layer identifies entities through digital certificates.
- It also continuously makes sure that the communications are credible
- The fragmented data is compressed through the means of lossless methods of compression.
- This security technology is supported by almost all web browsers
- It has mainly been designed for online e-commerce.
Also Read: What is the Full Form of WPS?
Advantages of SSL
Some advantages of SSL are:
- It provides data security to network connections by means of encryption. Hence the data is secure even if a third party receives the data or the data is at the risk of getting lost.
- It provides authenticity as SSL identifies entities through digital certificates
- SSL does not need any specific software to work on, it can work on almost all browsers.
Disadvantages of SSL
Some disadvantages of SSL are:
- The data transaction speed slows down when SSL tries to provide authentication through the means of identifying entities through digital certificates.
- The SSL certificate has to be renewed at equal intervals.
Popular Full Forms
We hope this blog has helped you understand the full form of SSL and everything related to it. If you want to know more, find the 300+ full forms list on our blog. In the world of short forms, you can rely on the Leverage edu page to know about more full forms like this! Connect with us study abroad experts to achieve your international dream today!