The full form of AMBU is artificial manual breathing unit. It is a medical tool that simply forces air into the lungs of a patient who is either struggling to breathe or has ceased breathing completely. This type of additional assistance is an essential part of first-aid and crash-care kits and is supposed to be used by trained medical professionals. Furthermore, AMBU bags are also known as bag valve masks.
Why is an AMBU Bag Used?
As mentioned earlier, an AMBU or artificial manual breathing unit is used in emergency situations such as that of a cardiac arrest. It is a type of additional assistance that provides respiratory support to patients who are unable to breathe on their own.
What is the Capacity of the Ambu Bag?
The capacity of an AMBU bag varies depending on the manufacturer. Generally, these handheld devices have a capacity of 250 mL, 500 mL, 1000 mL, and so on.
Also Read: What is the Full Form of CHO in Medical?
Advantages of Using AMBU Bags
Here are a few key advantages of using AMBU bags:
- AMBU bags provide immediate assistance in case of a respiratory emergency.
- They are lightweight, portable, and do not require electricity to work.
- AMBU bags are also non-invasive which means that medical practitioners can use them without intubation or other invasive procedures.
- Patients, from infants to adults, can benefit from AMBU bags.
- They are also a cost-effective option and easily accessible to all.
- The bag is made using silicone or rubber which makes it easier to squeeze and inflate without putting much effort.
Popular Full Forms
This was all about the AMBU full form. You can also check out other interesting full forms like this on our page which has an A-Z full form list. Stay connected with our study abroad experts to find out more!