We often come across a multitude of rivers or lakes full of wastes like bottles, plastic, chemicals, etc. But have you ever thought about how those beautiful water bodies have now turned into dump yards? There are a variety of causes that lead to contamination of water leading to its pollution. Various human activities, as well as waste products when dumped into the water bodies, end up changing the chemical composition of water. Hence, the water becomes unfit for Drinking, Bathing, Washing, etc along with other uses. For all those willing to know more about types of water pollution, read through the blog.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Water Pollution?
- Types of Water Pollution
- What Causes Water Pollution?
- How to Preserve Water Pollution?
- Project on Water Pollution
What is Water Pollution?
The contamination of water bodies such as Seas, Ocean, Lake, Rivers, Ground Water etc is known as water pollution. In other words, physical, chemical and biological changes in the properties of water can be understood as water pollution. It is majorly caused due to ill-activities by humans and has severe consequences on the life of aquatic animals.
The water which is spared from human contamination stands fit for drinking as well as various other daily life activities such as cooking, watering plants, washing, etc. Both humans and animals can utilize the fir water but only after purifying it as several other bacterias or pollutants can be present in the water which may not be visible through the naked eye.
Now that you are familiar with the what water pollution is, let us focus on the types of water pollution.
Types of Water Pollution
There are a variety of types of water pollution as varied contaminating agents cause different effects to the authenticity of water. Mentioned below are the main types of water pollution-
Ground Water Pollution
To keep the crops free from insects farmers often use pesticides and various other chemicals. Those chemicals and pesticides get submerged into the soil through rainwater or irrigation water and get mixed up with the groundwater present beneath the earth leading to water pollution.
Surface Water Pollution
Harmful chemicals and waste products from various sites such as factories, households, etc come in contact with water bodies like lakes, ocean, seas, etc.. Hence, when such substances are dissolved in water, it pollutes it.
Here is a list of Major Landforms of the Earth!
Suspended Matter Water Pollution
Amongst all the types of water pollution, in this one the pollutants from the air pollution contaminate water. Such minute particles enter the water but do not get mix with the water molecules. Rather, those suspended particles form a layer of the silt on the surface of the water. Thus, all the nutrients from the water are removed and it gets polluted.
Chemical Water Pollution
A variety of chemicals are used in multiple activities like farming, in factories, households, etc. Such chemicals highly contaminate the water making it hazardous. Often the metallic waste, chemicals, solvents etc are released directly into the nearby water bodies. Also, the chemicals used by framers to prevent crops from insects pollute water.
Find out everything about Environmental Engineering with our exclusive blog!
Microbial Water Pollution
Out of all the types of water pollution, this one is caused by microorganisms such as Virus, Bacteria, etc. Although, a variety of microorganisms are harmless but the aforementioned ones are whenever enter the water, disturbs the chemical composition of it and makes it unfit for any kind of use.
Nutrients Water Pollution
Fertilizers used by farmers often contain extra nutrients. Whenever the extra nutrients enter the water bodies, they hamper the aquatic life and support the growth of weeds and algae in the water resulting in the water being undrinkable. Also, the increased percentage of nutrients in the water may lead to the death of the aquatic flora and fauna.
Water bodies contain a variety of microorganisms including both Aerobic and Anaerobic organisms. More oxygen is used by the biodegradable matter that is present in the water. Hence, the oxygen levels get depleted giving rise to the harmful toxins in the water bodies.
What Causes Water Pollution?
There are many causes of water pollution. Below, let’s focus on seven of the major ways that can pollute the water:
- Industrial Waste – Industries and Industrial sites are some of the major water pollutants across the world. They produce in the form of toxic chemicals and pollutants.
- Marine Dumping – It is exactly what it sounds like, throwing waste and garbage into the waters of oceans.
- Sewage & Wastewater – Sewage and wastewater from each house are released into the sea with fresh water. Harmful chemicals, bacteria, and pathogens can be found causing health issues.
- Oil Leaks & Spills – Though oil doesn’t mix with water, large oil spills and oil leaks are a major cause of water pollution caused by oil drill operations in the ocean or ships.
- Agriculture – Use of chemicals and pesticides often used by farmers protect the crops from infecting bacteria or viruses but harm plants, animals, and humans when seeping into the groundwater.
- Global Warming – It causes water temperatures to rise which kills water-dwelling animals and further pollutes the water supply, increasing the issue in absolute terms.
- Radioactive Waste – Radioactive waste from factories that create nuclear energy that can be extremely hazardous to the environment and must be disposed of properly.
How to Preserve Water Pollution?
There are numerous ways that each one of us can help in reducing water pollution and the Natural Resources Defence Council has outlined:
- Don’t flush your trash – Don’t put non-biodegradable products such as plastic, down your washrooms. It is a small way but great way to stop contributing to the problem and start becoming part of the solution.
- Pick up the trash of your pets – While you take your pet to the walk be mindful of carrying the waste bag along with you in order to stop it from making its way to the water bodies. Waste from animals is full of bacteria and thus it’s one way to reduce the spreading of bacteria.
- Maintain your vehicles – Antifreeze oil, coolant, and other chemicals can leak out of your car if it’s not properly cared for. Then, rainwater washes those chemicals into the groundwater supply. Regular maintenance can reduce the number of pollutants emitted by your car, and it enhances the vehicle’s performance as well.
- Class 8 Pollution of Air and Water
- Essay on Pollution
- Environmental Engineering
- Soil Pollution: Meaning, Types, Effects, Causes
Project on Water Pollution
We hope that through this blog about types of water pollution you are all clear about the concept. For thorough assistance in crucial steps like stream selection, get in touch with our Leverage Edu experts. Hurry up! Book an e-meeting.