Iceland is also known as “Land of fire & ice” because it is the most active volcanic region but at the same time it is also covered in glaciers. A Nordic Country, Iceland has a lot to offer other than its astonishing scenery, students from all around the globe want to pursue their studies from universities in Iceland. At present there are 5% of international students in the universities. Students are attracted because of low tuition fee costs, beautiful campuses, excellent academic facilities & resources and LGBTQ friendly environment. Let’s explore all the opportunities study in Iceland has to offer you.
|International Student Rate||5%|
|Academic Year||September – May|
|Currency||Icelandic króna (ISK)|
|Enrollment in higher education(In %)||73.1 %|
|Average Acceptance Rate||70- 80%|
This Blog Includes:
- Why should I Study in Iceland?
- Intakes to Study in Iceland
- List of Universities in Iceland
- Cost of Study in Iceland
- Popular Courses in Iceland
- Application Process to Study in Ireland
- Student Visa & Cost
- Iceland Visa Application Process
- Scholarships to Study in Ireland
Why should I Study in Iceland?
- Pro of studying in Iceland is that the universities charge zero to minimal tuition fees. Yes, universities in Iceland will charge just the annual registration fees.
- Cost of living is affordable in comparison to other countries & student accommodation is also available easily.
- Iceland universities are also in top universities around the world. They offer excellent educational facilities & degrees are recognized worldwide.
- You can find most of the courses in english language, so there are no language barriers. Courses are partially or fully in English language.
- To help students, Iceland university provides various scholarships to their international students.Students can also work upto 15 hours a week.
Also read – Top Reasons to Study in Nordic Countries
Intakes to Study in Iceland
International universities offer multiple intakes to their international students. Universities in Iceland have two intake terms. Generally autumn semester is more popular among the international applicants. Here are all the details regarding the intakes in iceland.
|Spring||January – May|
|Autumn||September – December|
Did you know?
Iceland is sparsely populated country in Europe, with about three inhabitants per square kilometre
List of Universities in Iceland
Iceland has a total of 7 universities. There are three private & 4 public university in Iceland.Here is a list of all universities in Iceland:
- University of Iceland
- University of Akureyri
- Reykjavík University
- Iceland Academy of the Arts
- Hólar University College
- Bifröst University
- Agricultural University of Iceland
Also Read – Popular Universities in UK
Cost of Study in Iceland
One of the perks of studying in Iceland is that most of the universities don’t charge any tuition fees. However the university charge registration fee that is around ISK 8,000 (4,450 in INR) The university that charges tuition fees for courses are presented in the table below
|Study Level||Tuition Fees in ISK||Tuition Fees in INR|
|Undergraduate||8,56,678 – 15,98,567||5,05,888 – 9,43,990|
|Postgraduate||6, 51,656 – 24,11,874||384817 – 14,24,267|
Cost Of Living in Iceland
Apart from tuition fees , there are other expenses that a student has to bear while studying in Iceland or any country abroad. The table below displays average cost of living in Iceland, it can fluctuate depending on other factors like the location of your university, accommodation room & lifestyle. Here are some major expense lists for you.
|Expense||Amount In ISK||Amount in INR|
|Internet & mobile tarif||4,480||2,645|
Also Read – Cost of Living Calculator
Popular Courses in Iceland
From business studies to communication courses, universities at Iceland have a lot to offer to their international students. Here are some popular courses among the international students.The universities that are famous & ranked by Times Higher education Rankings are University of Iceland & Reykjavik University.
|BS in Business Administration – Marketing communication||Bifröst University|
|Business Administration BSc||Reykjavik University|
|Environment and Natural Resources||University of Iceland|
|MSc International Business and Marketing||Reykjavik University|
|MSc computer science||Reykjavik University|
|MSc sustainable energy||Reykjavik University|
|MSc Eng Sustainable Energy Engineering||Reykjavik University|
Do you know?
Meaning of Reykjavík ‘smoky bay’ in Icelandic. the most Refers to the city’s coastal location, and natural hot springs streams.
Application Process to Study in Ireland
There is no admission portal for Iceland universities. You have to apply directly to the university.The application process is simple.
- Select the course & university – The first step is to choose the course you want to pursue & the university you want to study in. Research about the program you are interested in, its core syllabus, duration & universities offering that particular course.
- Check Eligibility – After selecting the course next step comes in to check your eligibility. Every university has a different standard of eligibility for admission into various courses. Gather all the documents required for registration & admission.
- Fill Application Form – After checking the eligibility of the course, fill out an application form. There is no common admission portal for admission, you have to apply to the official university website. Here’s how you can fill out the application form.
- Visit the official website of the university.
- Click on the admission tab, it will redirect you to another page.
- Enter your email address & create your account.
- Enter your login information, Username & password.
- You have to fill in your personal information (Name, age, date of birth, contact address) & educational background.
- You can also add employment details if you have any.
- Upload the required documents.
- Pay the application fee to complete the process.
- You can also track the progress of your application by logging into your university admission account.
Documents Required for Application Form
There are some documents that you will be required while filling out the application form. Keep a scanned copy of the documents as well for uploading in your application form.
- All official academic Transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- Statement of Purpose
Do you know?
There are about 170 geothermal pools in Iceland.
Student Visa & Cost
Before applying for an Iceland visa, it is important to know the visa types, its cost & documents required for Visa application. Depending upon your course & duration of the course, you can apply for the visa to Iceland. For students applying for a course of more than 90 days need to apply for a long term visa known as D- Visa. You can apply for a long term once in 12 months. To renew your visa apply four weeks before it expires.
Documents Required for Iceland Visa
Here are all the documents you need at the time of visa application.
- Financial Support
- Registered in full time studies
- Criminal record certificate
- Health insurance
- Secure housing
- Medical examination
- 2 copies of passport
- One passport size photograph
Iceland Visa Application Process
Now you know about the visa type & documents required. Next step is the Visa application process. Here’s how you can apply for a student visa for Iceland.
- Fill the Visa application form. You can download the form online or visit the embassy/Consulate.
- Do not leave any column blank, if the information is not applicable or required you can fill the column with N/A
- It is recommended to file for a visa at least three weeks before your travel date.
- Prepare a list of basic & specific documents required for Visa.
- Gather all the documents & send them with the application
- Attend the interview, Don’t be late & prepare well for the interview.
- Pay the required visa fees. Visa fees is 12,000 ISK (7,800 in INR)
- The last step is to wait for a response, It generally takes 15 days. In some cases, it may extend to 45 days.
Do you know?
In Iceland, there is at least one volcanic eruption every 5 years.
Scholarships to Study in Ireland
The cost of studying in Iceland is comparatively low but you can reduce your tuition fee & accommodation cost more by applying for various scholarships programmes. There are some scholarships offered by respective universities & some from outside sources. Here are some of the top scholarships in Iceland you can apply for.
- Sustainable Futures Scholarship
- Women in Energy Scholarship
- Electric Power Innovation Scholarship
- The GREEN Program Alumni Scholarship
- Aga Khan Foundation
- Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership
- The Watanabe Trust Fund
For more scholarships & information regarding these scholarships you check the official website of universities.
Yes, University offers on campus accommodation but the slots are limited, most of the students live in off-campus housing or rented apartments.
No, it is not mandatory to learn icelandic language if your course is in English.
Yes, all universities required english proficiency test.
Yes, it is mandatory to have 1-2 letters of recommendation & also one of the entry requirements.
In 2021, THE world university ranked University of Iceland at 401-500th.
There is no common portal for admission, you have to apply on the university website.
With most of its universities charging no or negligible tuition fees, students from all around the globe are applying to study in Iceland. If you are aspiring for higher studies in Iceland & need help with the application process or anything else, reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and counsellors and we will guide you at every step of the way from finding the right course as well to university to kickstarting the admission process and ensuring that you get successfully shortlisted.