Civil Services Examinations under the UPSC exams are considered as one of the toughest exams in India. The selection process is divided into three parts, prelims, mains and personal interview. Public Administration is one of the choicest subjects among 48 others, that candidates take as an optional for the Mains examination. Major reason being, it also helps them in have a solid base of public affairs which enhances their overall knowledge. In the IAS, IRS and likely exams, there are 9 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks with a total of 500 marks. For all the UPSC aspirants, here is a blog to help you with the public administration syllabus for UPSC.
This Blog Includes:
- Public Administration Syllabus for UPSC- Paper 1
- Public Administration Syllabus for UPSC- Paper 2
- How to Prepare for Public Administration Section in UPSC Exams?
Public Administration Syllabus for UPSC- Paper 1
Main topics of this section are scope, meaning and significance of Public Administration, the evolution of the discipline and its present status; challenges of Liberalization; privatisation; public choice approach; good governance etc.
Weber’s bureaucratic model its critique and post-Weberian developments; dynamic administration; scientific management and scientific management movement; human relation school etc are the important concepts of this unit.
Major topics of this section are- techniques and process of decision making; morale; motivation theories; theories of leadership; communication; traditional and modem; process and contemporary etc
Insights under this unit of public administration syllabus for UPSC are structure and forms: ministries and departments, companies, corporations; boards and commissions; theories systems, contingency; regulatory authorities etc
Accountability and Control
Questions from this section will be based on the topics like legislative; executive and judicial control over administration; citizens and administration; the role of media; interest groups etc.
Here are few important concepts of this unit- dicey on administrative law; Delegated Legislation; meaning, scope and significance; administrative tribunals.
Check Out: Law Courses
Comparative Public Administration
Administration and politics in different countries; the current status of comparative public administration; Riggsian models and their critique; historical and sociological factors affecting administrative systems etc are some of the essential topics of the unit.
Related Read: UPSC SCRA Exam
Mostly the topics covered under this unit of public administration syllabus for UPSC are changing the profile of development; Strong state versus the market debate; Impact of liberalization on administration in developing countries; etc
Essential inclusions in this topic are the importance of human resource development; training, career, recruitment, monitoring and review etc
Studying Public Policy for the Public Administration syllabus for UPSC, you must cover topics like Models of policymaking & their critique; Conceptualisation, Planning, Monitoring, Implementation, Evolution Review of their limitations; Public policy formations and state theories.
Technique of Administrative Improvement
This topic of Public Administration comprises concepts like work study and work management, Management aid tools such as CPM, PERT, MIS and network analysis; e-governance and Information Technology and Organisations and methods.
For financial administration, the core topics are: Public borrowings and public debt, Types and forms of budgets, Accounts & audit, Monetary and fiscal policies, Budgetary process and financial accountability.
Can’t find which books cover the entire Public Administration syllabus for UPSC?
Read our exclusive blog on Public Administration Books!
Public Administration Syllabus for UPSC- Paper 2
Evolution of Indian Administration
Main topics covered under this section of the public administration syllabus for UPSC are Mughal Administration; Revenue Administration, Legacy of British rule in politics and administration; Local self Government; Indianization of Public services; Kautilya Arthshastra etc.
Philosophical and Constitutional Framework of Government
This concept in the public administration syllabus for UPSC will gauge candidates’ knowledge regarding the topics like Constitutionalism; Political Culture; Bureaucracy and Democracy; Salient features and value premise etc.
Public Sector Undertakings
Important topics of this section are Forms of Public Sector Undertakings; Problems of Autonomy, Accountability and Comtrol; Public Sector in Moder India; the impact of Liberalization and privatization etc.
Union Government and Administration
Here are the essential inclusions of this topic- Cabinet Secretary; Prime Minister’s Office; Executive; Parliament; Ministries and Department; Boards; Commissions; Field Organization; Recent Trends; Intra-Government Relations etc.
Plans and Priorities
The public administration syllabus for UPSC under this section contains topics like role, composition and function of the planning commission and the National Development Council; Constitutional Ammendments (1992) and decentralized planning for economic development; social justice; Indicative Planning; Process Planning formulations at Union or State Levels etc.
State Government and Administration
Union-state administrative, legislative and financial relations; Role of the Finance Commission; Chief Minister; Governer; Chief Secretary; Council of Minister; State Secretariat; Directorates etc are the main topis of this portion.
Recommended Read: Best Sociology Books for Government Exams
District Administration since Independence
Predominantly the unit focuses on- union-state local relations; district administration; democratic decentralization; imperatives of development management and law and order administration.
This unit will have questions from the topics like Good governance initiatives; code of conduct and discipline; staff association; political rights; civil services neutrality; civil services activism; constitutional position etc.
Mostly the topics covered under this unit of the public administration syllabus for UPSC are Accounting techniques; the role of Controller General Accounts and Comptroller and Auditor General; Role of Finance Ministry in Monetary and Fiscal Area etc.
Check Out: Highest Paying Government Jobs in India
Other important topics under the paper 2 of public administration syllabus for UPSCare
- Administrative Reforms since Independence: Reforms in financial management and human resource development; Problems of implementation, Major concerns, Imp. committed and commissions.
- Rural Development: 73rd Constitutional Amendment, Rural development programmes, foci and strategies, Institutions & agencies since independence, Decentralization & Panchayati Raj.
- Urban Local Development: 74th Constitutional Amendment, politics & administration with reference to city management, Municipal Governance- its main features, structures, finance and problem areas; Global local debate, new localism.
- Law and Order Administration: Role of central and state agencies (including paramilitary forces) in the maintenance of law and order as well as countering insurgency and terrorism, National Police Commission; British Legacy; Investigative Agencies; Reforms in Police; Police Public relations and Criminalization of Politics and Administration.
- Significant issues in Indian Administration: Corruption & Administration; Problems of Administration in Coalition Regimes, Values in Public Service, Regulatory Commissions, National Human Rights Commission; Citizen-administration interface and Disaster management.
How to Prepare for Public Administration Section in UPSC Exams?
Once you have gone through all the core topics in Public Administration syllabus for UPSC, the next step is to draft a preparation strategy, gather sample papers and previous year question papers as well as the preparation books. Here are some of the major tips that can assist you in preparing for Public Administration section in UPSC:
- Break down the public administration syllabus into different sections and start making notes accordingly. You will find the basic concepts covered in preparation guides like Sharma, Sodana or S. Polinaidu and learn those foundational concepts as it will help you strengthen your basic knowledge of this subject.
- Go through previous year question papers and highlight the different types of questions asked under this section. Once you have covered all the topics for a paper, practice a minimum of four previous year question papers which will help you understand your strong and weak concepts.
- Learn important quotes from prominent thinkers as citing those quotes in your answers can fetch you better marks. While drafting the answers for Public Administration questions, make sure that you find suitable quotes to add to them and you will surely get a good score in this optional paper.
- Add the preparation of this optional section in your daily study schedule and don’t leave it for the last few weeks before the exam since it is an extensively theoretical subject that you must thoroughly prepare for. Spend a minimum of two to three hours daily on covering varied concepts of Public Administration.
- For Comparative Public Administration questions, add cross-cultural examples to your answers and make a list of such instances which you can utilise for different types of twisting questions.
Public Administration is an optional subject in the UPSC Mains Civil Services exams and comprises two optional papers, i.e. Paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 is constituted of 12 topics including Introduction, Administrative Thought, Comparative Public Administration, Development Dynamics, Personnel Administration, Public Policy, Financial Administration, etc. Moreover, Paper 2 contains 14 topics such as Evolution of Administration, Public Sector Undertakings, Civil Services, Financial Management, etc.
Public Administration is considered as a good optional for IAS and is frequently opted by exam aspirants. There are many pros of taking Public Administration as an optional in UPSC as you will get to know state administration and government mechanisms and there are plenty of books, notes and study materials to prepare for this section. It is also an easily understandable subject, comprises straightforward and direct questions and assist in preparing for General Studies, essays as well as IAS interview.
The best way to prepare for public administration in UPSC is by first understanding the basic concepts of all the topics under Paper I and Paper II. Make short and concise notes, learn quotes from prominent thinkers and cite them in your answers to fetch a better score and practice as many previous year question papers as possible!
We hope that through this blog about public administration syllabus for UPSC has helped you gain a better understanding of the subject. If you want to get aligned with your dream career path, reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu and they will help you choose the best field for you!