American President Woodrow Wilson’s essay on the study of Administration in the year 1887 formulated the concept of Public administration and since then, the theory has emerged as an important process in both public and private organisations. From the spheres of labour units and charitable organizations to business firms and educational institutions, public administration plays an important role in assessing and devising strategies for effective implementation of laws and policies. As an important discipline of Social Science, the field has witnessed a paradigm shift over the years and due to this, a wide range of universities are now offering courses like BA/Masters in Public Administration (MPA). In this blog, we will shed light on various roles which you can consider in pretext to the scope of public administration.
This Blog Includes:
- Meaning, Nature and Scope of Public Administration
- Role of a Public Administrator
- Eligibility for Public Administration
- Scope of Public Administration in India
- Scope of Public Administration as an Activity
- Scope of Public Administration as a Discipline
- Development of Public Administration as a Subject
- Top 10 Universities for Public Administration
Meaning, Nature and Scope of Public Administration
If you break down the work Administration it means to serve in Latin which explains the true meaning of administration. Public administration has gradually shifted over the years. It has changed completely from how it was initially practiced in medieval times. The administration is necessary not just for creating policies and laws but also to help people understand and implementation of those policies and laws. Public administration plays an essential role in running a democratic nation and government authorities.
Some of its Specializations are:
- Personnel and Industrial relation management
- Administrative Management
- Social Services
- Law, Investigations, and Inspections
Role of a Public Administrator
Before we explore the scope of Public Administration, let’s understand the duties and responsibilities of an administrator.
- Development of citizen-friendly policies.
- Ensuring stability and order in the society.
- Ensuring the implementation of various laws.
- Improving the socio-economic conditions of a state.
- Manage large scale commercial activities.
- Formulating a budget that lays emphasis on all the sectors.
- Laying down health codes and guidelines for industries.
- Last but not least, being a voice to the weaker sections of the society
Now that you are familiar with the roles and responsibilities of a Public Administrator, let us explore the scope of Public Administration in detail.
Eligibility for Public Administration
Given below are the details of getting admission in public administration:
|Bachelor’s Degree||Master’s Degree|
|The candidate is required to complete 10 + 2 examination||The candidate is required to complete his graduation in any discipline|
|The duration of the course is 3 years||The duration of the course is 2 years|
Scope of Public Administration in India
Wondering about the scope of public administration in India? You can never go wrong if you decide to build a career in public administration and work in India. India is a democratic nation that needs a public administrator for the smooth running of all the functions and implementation of laws passed by the government authorities. Students can work in various other fields and not just stick to the government sector, you can work as a social worker, human resource manager, legal counselor, consultant, etc.
With the theoretical knowledge and practical experience that you’ll gain through a Public Administration course, starting a career as a consultant will not be difficult. Apart from formulating development policies, you will also be responsible for devising ways for enhancing employee efficiency, overseeing different departments, and achieving organisational goals.
The scope of Public Administration is not limited to the aforementioned roles, but you can also explore opportunities as an Analyst. As a Project Analyst, you will devise projects wise blueprints, manage the team, oversee the operations, and analyze the outcomes so as to solve complex issues impacting the business of an organization.
When it comes to the scope of Public Administration, becoming a civil servant is the most suitable choice. In India, you can join the coveted IAS, Indian Foreign Services, IPS, IRS, etc by qualifying the Civil Services exam or can join state services through public services exam of the state. It is an excellent opportunity for those who want to interact and help masses directly.
Labor-Management Relations Specialist
As discussed, the scope of Public Administration extends far beyond formulating citizen-centric policies and extends up to managing labor-management relations. Apart from evaluating and finalising labour contracts, as a Labor-Management Relations Specialist, you will also be tasked with drafting healthcare and wage policies, assessing and taking decisions on labor union complaints, formulating policies on the lines of collective bargaining, advising the management of the organisation on various matters, etc.
Being a vast field of study, the scope of Public Administration also extends to the Finance domain. As a budget Analyst, you will be responsible for reviewing budget proposals, monitoring the finances, recommend major spending cuts, act as a liaison between different parties when it comes to financial requests, etc.
Without mentioning the option of establishing a career in Teaching, the scope of Public Administration stands incomplete. A formal undergraduate degree coupled with a masters course like MS/MSc/MA in Public Administration can help you kick start your career as a Teacher. However, for this, you need to give some entrance exams.
Specialization in Public Administration
If you are looking to specialize in a specific field while pursuing a public administration course, Here are some of the popular specializations among students offered in universities:
- Personnel and Industrial relation Management
- International Affairs
- Law, Investigations, and Inspections Management
- Community and Economic Development
- Social Services
- Administrative Management
Scope of Public Administration as an Activity
Broadly speaking, Public Administration embraces all the activities of the government. Hence, as an activity, the scope of public administration is no less than the scope of state activity. In the modern welfare state, people expect many things – a wide variety of services to the people. Besides, it has to manage government-owned industries and regulate private industries. Public administration covers every area and activity within the ambit of public policy. Thus, the scope of public administration is very wide in modern states.
Scope of Public Administration as a Discipline
The scope of public administration as a discipline, that is subject of studies, comprises of the following:
- Planning – Working out in broad outline the things to be done, the methods to be adopted to accomplish the purpose
- Organization – Establishment of the formal structure of authority through which the work is sub-divided
- Staffing – Means the recruitment and training of the personnel and their conditions of work
- Directing – Means making decisions and issuing orders and instructions
- Coordinating – Means interrelating the work of various divisions, sections, and other parts of the organization
- Reporting – Means informing the superiors within the agency to whom the executive is responsible about what is going on.
- Budgeting – Means fiscal planning, control, and accounting
Development of Public Administration as a Subject
Public Administration has developed as an academic discipline through a succession of a number of overlapping paradigms which are as follows:
- Stage I: Politics – Administration Dichotomy (1887 – 1926)
- Stage II: Principles of Administration (1927 – 1937)
- Stage III: Era of Challenge (1938 – 1947)
- Stage IV: Crisis of Identify (1948 – 1970)
- Stage V: Public Policy Perspective (1971 – continuing)
Top 10 Universities for Public Administration
Now that you are aware of the scope of public administration and interested in pursuing the course, here are top universities abroad for pursuing a degree in public administration:
- RMIT University, Australia
- Southern Illinois University, USA
- The University of Western Australia, Australia
- University of Kentucky, USA
- University of Alberta, Canada
- DePaul University, USA
- University of Nottingham, UK
- The University of Alabama, USA
- University of Bath, UK
- Florida International University, USA
At present, the scope of Public Administration is great and expected to grow in the future as well. Students can work in both the public and private sectors after graduation.
Woodrow Wilson is known as the father of public administration after he published an essay on public administration in the United States
MBA is about general management whereas MPH is more focused on public administration. Students that want to build a career in public administration should choose MPH over an MBA
Government can only pass acts and norms but it is the duty and responsibility of public administration to help people understand the law and the smooth implementation of the law.
There are plenty of job opportunities available after masters in public administration such as Public Administration Consultant, Urban and regional planner, community relations manager, policy analyst, etc.
It depends upon the field you have chosen to work in, you can get a salary ranging between Rs. 4 – 7 lakhs per annum.
Hopefully, you now have a clear understanding of the scope of Public Administration. Being one of the intriguing fields, it offers lucrative career opportunities across sectors provided, you are sharp at leadership qualities. Are you looking forward to pursuing overseas education? Get in touch with the experts of Leverage Edu and explore new possibilities and higher education options. Book your free 30 minutes e-counselling session with the team now!