The University of Waterloo, which comes in Canada’s top 100 universities, provides scholarships to international students. Students coming from all over the world can apply for the scholarship awarded at this university. To be part of these scholarships, the students are required to follow some basic steps such as having all the required documents, they should have cleared some basic tests etc. Well, worry not as in this blog, we will talk about the scholarships that are awarded to international students at the University of Waterloo.
This Blog Includes:
- List of Scholarships Offered at the University of Waterloo
- Benefits of University of Waterloo Scholarships
- University of Waterloo Scholarships: UG Eligibility Criteria
- University of Waterloo Scholarships: PG Eligibility Criteria
- Application Process
- Selection Process
List of Scholarships Offered at the University of Waterloo
Getting a scholarship is a dream for many students. But do you know the scholarships which are available at Waterloo University? Well, here are the types of scholarships which are awarded to all international students.
- President’s Scholarship
A one-time $2,000 University of Waterloo President’s Scholarship will be awarded to students who are admitted to the university with an early May entrance average between 90 and 94.9 per cent.
To be a part of this scholarship, the student must follow these:
- Early May entrance average for the programme for which you have received and accepted an offer of admission must be between 90 and 94.9%, including necessary courses.
- The student should be enrolled in a full-time, first-year degree program
This scholarship is open to all Canadian as well as international students.
- International Student Entrance Scholarship
Outstanding overseas candidates accepted into Year One of an undergraduate degree programme are given twenty scholarships, each worth $10,000.
To be a part of this scholarship, the student will have to clear these eligibility criteria:
- Academic performance
- An admission Information Form (AIF) may also be considered
- Euclid Math Contest results (Mathematics students only)
This scholarship is open to all international students.
- Apart from these two scholarships, there are several other entrance scholarships, including, the Faculty of Environment, Faculty of Health, Faculty of Arts etc.
- University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship
All graduate students enrolled full-time in a Master’s or Doctoral programme at the University of Waterloo are eligible to apply for the University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship, which is typically worth $1,000 per term for up to three terms.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the student must fulfil all these requirements:
- Graduate students from home countries and abroad who are enrolled full-time in a Master’s or Doctoral programme.
- Required must have a minimum first-class (80%) cumulative average over the last two full academic years or in the present programme.
This degree is for all master’s and doctoral students.
Benefits of University of Waterloo Scholarships
There are many benefits of studying at the University of Waterloo. Here are some of the benefits which will help you decide if this university is worth it:
- International students pursuing undergraduate degrees may get up to 10,000 CAD (8.28 lakhs INR) annually, plus additional funds for housing, transport, and textbooks.
- Foreign students pursuing postgraduate degrees will receive 2,500 CAD (INR 2.07 lakhs INR) every semester for up to six semesters along with additional money for their research and theses.
- Assistance with immigration, visas, and health insurance is provided by the university.
- Participate in cultural events and workshops with the alumni, and share information through the International Peer Community (IPC).
University of Waterloo Scholarships: UG Eligibility Criteria
Interested candidates may apply for the University of Waterloo scholarships based on their credentials, CV, language skills, and visa documentation. The qualifying requirements for the scholarships offered by the university’s various departments must be met by applicants for their applications to be considered. The University of Waterloo awards the International Student Entrance Scholarship to all undergraduate students.
Here are the eligibility criteria as well as the documents which will be required for this scholarship:
To be eligible for Waterloo Scholarships, the student must make sure that they qualify for these steps:
- The student must have got at least 75 per cent aggregate in their high school.
- They must have health insurance.
- The student must have a study permit for Canada.
- Finally, they must have cleared the English Proficiency test with these scores.
- IELTS – 6.5
- TOEFL iBT- 90
- PTE – 63
Here are all the documents that the student must have at the time of getting a scholarship:
- The student must have a copy of a valid Passport.
- Transcripts of academic records (Class 12th predicted grades)
- Statement of Purpose
- Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Offer Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
- National-level test certificates (if needed)
- Visa and Study Permit
University of Waterloo Scholarships: PG Eligibility Criteria
After obtaining the acceptance letter, the applicants must prepare their visa paperwork and carefully examine the eligibility requirements and required documentation for postgraduate studies.
For these scholarships, candidates don’t need to submit a separate application because they are already taken into account. Below are the requirements which must be met for an overseas student to be eligible to enrol in postgraduate programmes at the University of Waterloo. All the students wishing to apply for the PG scholarship will have to apply for the University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship.
Here are the eligibility criteria as well as all the documents that will be required to be part of this scholarship.
Here are the eligibility criteria for all the students who wish to be a part of the scholarship at Waterloo University. They must make sure they qualify for every below-mentioned point.
- To be eligible for the scholarship, the student must have attained at least 80 per cent aggregate marks in their Bachelor’s degree.
- The student must have health insurance.
- Having a study permit for Canada is mandatory.
- Lastly, the student should have cleared their English language proficiency tests with the following scores:
- IELTS – 6.5
- PTE – 63
- TOEFL iBT – 90
To be eligible for the Waterloo Scholarship, the student must have the following documents.
- Offer Letter
- Photocopy of a valid passport.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Letter of Recommendation.
- National-level test certificates
- Visa and Study Permit
- Language Proficiency Test scores
- Transcripts and other academic records
Now, before accumulating all these documents, the student needs to contact their professors and ask for transcripts and letters of recommendation before applying. As for the visa/study permit, the student will have to consult the Embassy of Canada.
After the student has accumulated all the documents, they must submit them carefully as they will receive the scholarship allowances after the offline verification.
Here are all the basic steps, the student will have to follow to apply for the scholarship online:
- For postgraduate applications, they will have to go to the Graduation Studies website, and for undergraduate applications, register on the OUAC website
- Submit all the necessary documents through Quest
- Pay the 125 CAD (7,712 INR) application fee
- All applicants will receive an offer letter from the university
- If the student faces any queries, it can be submitted to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Depending on the course they have applied for, eligible candidates will automatically be taken into consideration for scholarships
The selection of international applicants is subject to stringent criteria set by the admissions committee. It undertakes in-depth document verification and online interviews. To gain insight into the candidates’ personalities and communication abilities, a meeting with the authorities is held.
The documents are verified before making the final decision. The committee assesses the awards according to these standards and their budget.
Here is how the selection process is conducted for all those candidates who wish to get selected for the University of Waterloo scholarships.
- Scholarships are awarded to candidates based on their academic performance, statement of purpose, language proficiency test scores, essays etc.
- The scholarship prefers students with research abilities, those who have work experience, have done social work etc.
- The students also get selected based on their achievements in extracurricular activities.
- Finally, the admission committee shortlists students and then interviews them.
A1. The tuition fee for undergraduate students varies from USD 45,000 – 70,000. While the fees for postgraduate students depend from program to program.
A2. There is a good chance for the international student to get enrolled at the University of Waterloo. With its acceptance rate at 53 per cent, the university enrolled more than 7,000 students this year.
A3. University of Waterloo’s tuition fees vary from program to program and the type of student.
Exploring study abroad scholarships? Still trying to figure out how to go about it? Let the professionals at Leverage Edu take care of your academic journey! You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process to realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800-572-000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.