TOEFL Preparation Guide: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is conducted to measure candidates’ English skills in four specific areas: Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. This test requires a high level of preparation as the scores given are based on the candidate’s individual performance in the test.
The TOEFL preparation guide involves several sources such as official guides, books and sample tests offered by the Educational Testing Service and other private publications. The TOEFL preparation guide offers you detailed information about the exam structure, its format, types of questions asked, time constraints, etc. In this article, we will provide you with some of the best TOEFL preparation guides.
|Exam Name||Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)|
|Organising Body||Educational Testing Service (ETS)|
|Total Sections||WritingReadingListening and Speaking|
|Preparation Books||The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT® Test; The Official TOEFL iBT® Tests Savings Bundle; TOEFL Practice Online − Volume 30 Complete Practice Tests|
|Annual Exam Frequency||50+|
This Blog Includes:
Also Read – All About TOEFL Exam
Best TOEFL Preparation Guides
Looking for the best sources to prepare for your next TOEFL test? We’ve got your back. There are several sources available online which will offer you a holistic approach to the TOEFL test. Candidates must know that the quality of preparation for TOEFL solely depends on the sources chosen by them. Below we have listed some of the best TOEFL preparation guides with their prices and links.
The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT® Test
This TOEFL official guide is one of the best sources to prepare for the exam where several references and other content for preparation are given. It includes;
- Exam preparation tips
- 4 complete practice tests
- Collective versions of all tests, in addition to the book version.
- Sample questions for each sample paper.
- Exam scoring criteria.
The price of this official guide is INR 1362.
Official TOEFL iBT® Tests, Volumes 1 & 2
This official TOEFL preparation book gives you 10 authentic and comprehensive TOEFL tests with previous test questions and their answers. This book is available in eBook and paperback formats and includes the following materials.
- Audio files and written transcripts
- Interactive online versions of 5 comprehensive tests
- Speaking and Writing sample responses
Both these volumes are available for INR 2100.
TOEFL Practice Online − Volume 30 Complete Practice Tests
The official website of the ETS has a set of TOEFL preparation materials
- One of which is this sample practice guide, where candidates will have access to 30 complete practice tests, with the latest updates and changes in the exam pattern and question papers of the last TOEFL exam.
- This is an online source meaning candidates will have to solve them online using a laptop or desktop computer.
This preparation guide is available for INR 3305.08.
The Official TOEFL iBT® Tests Savings Bundle
This TOEFL guide is a collection of Volume 1 and Volume 2 eBook versions of TOEFL.
- This guide covers the third and fourth editions of TOEFL iBT® Tests.
- This eBook gives you a total of 10 authentic and latest practice tests and complete tests with answer keys to each section and audio files.
This savings bundle is available for INR 4475.
Also read – What is a Good TOEFL Score?
How to Prepare for TOEFL?
Preparing for TOEFL involves enhancing your English skills in reading, listening, writing and speaking sections. Candidates must have sufficient sources which will cover the entire exam syllabus and will offer them information on the latest changes in the TOEFL exam structure and its pattern. Here are some of the popular exam preparation tips which will help you to score good marks in TOEFL.
- Understanding the TOEFL format is one of the most important parts of the preparation, as it will make you aware of the total sections of the exam, their topic-wise division, the types of questions asked, etc.
- Take a practice test to measure your current proficiency and highlight areas of improvement.
- Develop a detailed study plan, where equal time distribution is given to each section of the exam. Study consistently according to the timetable.
- Read a variety of English texts, such as academic magazines, articles and newspapers, to get adapted to that level of vocabulary.
- To enhance your listening skills, listen to English audio, such as podcasts, news channels, songs, movies, etc.
- Prepare from the official TOEFL practice materials which are available on the website of the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- Daily review the topics you’ve studied to enforce your learning.
- Take full-length practice tests under timed conditions to familiarise yourself with the pacing and pressure of the actual exam.
The best TOEFL preparation guides or materials are available on the official website of ETS, including The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT® Test, The Official TOEFL iBT® Tests Savings Bundle, TOEFL Practice Online − Volume 30 Complete Practice Tests, etc.
Candidates planning to score well in TOEFL must prepare efficiently with their utmost dedication, ensuring a better result. Here are some tips which will help you score well in TOEFL: make a detailed study plan and stay consistent with it, take practice tests to understand your proficiency level, and listen to English news, movies, podcasts and other sources which will increase your listening comprehension, read academic articles and magazines to enhance your overall vocabulary, etc.
To enhance your speaking skills for TOEFL, record yourself speaking on various topics and then listen to analyze your pronunciation, fluency, and coherence. Engage in conversations with native speakers or fellow test takers to practice spontaneous speaking.
Build a plan with Leverage Edu‘s Leverage Live classes and our top trainers will help you attain your desired TOEFL Score. Strengthen your English score as well as your application so that you can secure your spot at your dream college.