The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Reading Test is a part of the TOEFL iBT (Internet-based Test) and TOEFL PBT (Paper-based Test). The TOEFL exam is divided into 4 types of sections which collectively access the Reading, Writing, Speaking and Writing sections of the English language. The main purpose of these English Proficiency tests is to take admission to the best universities in the world. In this blog, we will take an in-depth look at the TOEFL Reading Test, its format, significance, and tips to excel in this section of the TOEFL exam.
|Number of Questions||30-40 Questions|
|Reading Passages||3-4 Passages|
|Type of Questions||MCQs Based Question|
This Blog Includes:
Types of Questions in the TOEFL Reading Test
In this section, the different types of questions measure the different abilities and key aspects of the reading section. These are the most common questions that are asked in the TOEFL Exam Reading test:
- Factual Information
- Negative Factual Information
- Reading vocabulary
- Sentence Simplification
- Insert Text
- Prose Summary
Also Read: TOEFL Sample Speaking Questions
Scoring in TOEFL Reading Test
The TOEFL Reading Test score range is 0-30. To get the scaled score in the TOEFL Reading test, it is converted from the Raw score of the TOEFL reading score. After this step, a percentage of corrected answers is calculated on the basis of an approximately scaled score.
Also, the percentile is based on the final TOEFL Reading score. Refer to the table below to calculate the Reading score on the basis of the Raw TOEFL Score:
|Estimated Raw Score||TOEFL Reading Score|
Tips to Excel in the TOEFL Reading Test
These are some tips to score good TOEFL Reading section:
- Practice Regularly: Familiarize yourself with academic texts by reading articles, essays, and research papers in English.
- Develop Vocabulary: Build a strong vocabulary to comprehend and tackle unfamiliar words in the passages.
- Understand Question Types: Familiarize yourself with the various question types and their specific requirements to answer accurately.
- Focus on Academic Material: Read articles and papers related to various academic subjects to prepare for the diversity of topics covered in the TOEFL Reading Test.
Also Read: Top Universities Accepting TOEFL Scores
TOEFL reading test is conducted to check the ability of students to understand the written passages and answer some questions according to the passage.
There are some tips to pass the reading test of TOEFL such as
(1) Learning the question types
(2) Focusing on the word selection and also learning the academic vocabulary.
Any score above 22 is considered to be good in the reading test. There is a lot of practice required to score such marks.
English language certifications are instrumental in securing admission to leading universities. Many of them require that you score the predefined marks so that you can be eligible to apply. In any case, a high score increases your chances of admission. Build a plan with Leverage Edu‘s Leverage Live classes and our top trainers and strengthen your English score as well as your application so that you can secure your spot in your dream college.