PTE is a computer-based English proficiency test that accesses the speaking, writing, listening and reading skills of the applicant. The PTE exam has garnered widespread popularity owing to the fact that it is accepted across major countries and universities. Candidates can use the PTE exam to study or move abroad.
The reading section of the PTE exam is called the toughest section of the exam. However, students can get the desired score in their PTE exam by following the right strategy. In this blog, we will discuss the things to do for enhancing PTE reading scores.
|Name of the exam||Pearson Test of English|
|Conducting body||Pearson PLC Group|
|Purpose of exam||English proficiency test|
|Fees of exam||INR 15,900|
|Duration of exam||2 hours|
This Blog Includes:
Things to Do for Enhancing PTE Reading Scores
As stated above, the reading section of the PTE exam is one of the toughest sections and candidates should be well-prepared to tackle this section. Here are some tips by which candidates can enhance their scores in the PTE reading section:
- Read English newspapers daily. If you cannot read the whole newspaper, just read your favourite section or editorials.
- Improving your grammar is very important since the PTE exam tests a student’s grammatical knowledge.
- Read academic journals and literature to build your vocabulary.
- Take notes of the unknown words and try to remember them and also use them whenever you can.
- Students should be able to spot the right answers with collocation. Students can check the 2400+ list of the most commonly used academic collocation. It is published by Pearson. A group of words that usually go together is known as collocation, for example, fast cars, heavy rain etc.
- In the PTE reading section some answers have options that are very similar to one another. It becomes difficult for students to identify the correct answer. So, you can narrow down your choices and eliminate the ones that you feel are wrong.
- Practice mock tests of the PTE exam.
- Do not leave a question even if you doubt it, as there will be no negative marking.
- Managing time is very crucial in PTE reading because the entire section is time-bound. Students have to give time to each question and complete all the questions as well.
- Practice as much as you can since that would improve your speed.
PTE Reading Question Types
The PTE Reading section comprises various types of questions. These questions test the different abilities of students. The different types of questions are discussed below:
- Reading and Writing: Fill in the blanks
- Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer
- Re-order Paragraphs
- Fill in the blanks
- Multiple Choice, Single answer
Also Read: PTE Writing Section Syllabus
In order to prepare for the PTE exam, candidates must refer to the correct literature in order to be fully prepared for the exam. Here is a list of our recommended books for PTE preparation:
- The Official Guide to PTE Academic by Pearson PTE Academics.
- Aspire C1 Practice Tests with Key
- PTE Practice Test Plus with Key, Vol 1 and 2
- Expert PTE Academic Coursebook B1 and B2
- PTE Academic Official Vocabulary 2020-2022
The fee for the PTE exam is INR 15,900.
Yes, if you are not satisfied with your score you can apply for a rescore. But, there are some conditions for the same. You can refer to the official website for further details.
You can combine scores from 2 sittings, but the tests you are combining should have been taken within 6 months. Also, in both of these tests, you should not have scored less than 58 in any sections.
The PTE scores are valid for a period of 2 years.
The reading section of the PTE exam is often referred to as the hardest section of the exam, but with proper practice and with the right technique students can ace the PTE reading section. We hope candidates preparing for the PTE exam find this blog useful and that it helps them achieve their desired score in the exam.
Leverage Edu provides the best preparation courses for PTE offered in a live training environment by trusted educators. If you want to ease your study abroad journey, build a preparation plan with Leverage Edu’s Leverage Live Classes and call us at 1800-572-130.