Schlumberger Foundation Scholarships or the Faculty for the Future Fellowships are awarded to women and girls from emerging economies or developing countries who wish to pursue Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in science, technology, engineering, and management (STEM) domains or post-doctoral research in the related disciplines. These scholarships were initiated in 2004 to identify the importance of females in the STEM disciplines and careers. The administering authority of this scholarship is the Schlumberger Foundation which aims to bring down gender inequality in this academic domain.
This Blog Includes:
The Schlumberger Foundation or the SLB Foundation is a non-profit organisation that aims to increase the penetration and prevalence of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education. This independent non-profit association of science enthusiasts and gender parity warriors has recognised the connection between science, technology, the role of education, and socio-economic development in realising the potential of an individual. This entity awards Schlumberger Foundation Scholarships to women under its flagship programme: ‘Faculty for the Future’ to support women in the field of science.
Also Read: Rolls-Royce Unnati Scholarship
Faculty of the Future
This is the flagship programme of the SLB Foundation. Faculty of the Future is dedicated to bringing gender parity in the STEM field by devising conducive situations for women in science and technology-oriented careers. The programme aims to lift barriers encountered by women trying to enter STEM disciplines. Additionally, the programme believes that a surge in female participation in STEM will help in the development of local communities and countries, owing to the immense talent and ideas presented by women.
Schlumberger Foundation Scholarship
The Faculty of the Future introduced this scholarship in 2004 to increase female representation in STEM-related research. This scholarship is awarded to women enrolled in PhD and Post-Doctorate STEM research programs. Till 2023, the SLB foundation has awarded Schlumberger Foundation Scholarships to 807 female scholars from 86 nations. The Faculty of the Future programme identifies the limitations that hold back equal opportunities for women in STEM education and career development by providing online tools and in-person meetings to female scholars. These tools and meetings offer a platform for female science students to use the latest technologies to transform and uplift their local communities and native nations.
This Faculty of Future grant is given to top researchers in their domain. The awardees are engaged in natural sciences, engineering, mathematics, agricultural sciences, life sciences, and computer sciences. The fellows work to resolve obstacles faced by communities of their origin. This PhD and post-doctoral scholarship is awarded to female scholars from nations where they are underrepresented in various disciplines of STEM. By awarding this fellowship, the foundation aims to create a community of extremely talented icons who can help bridge the gender gap in STEM by encouraging more females to study science.
Read: Richard A. Freund International Scholarship
To avail of Schlumberger Foundation Scholarships is granted to women who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Citizen of a developing nation or an emerging country where females are underrepresented in STEM disciplines.
- The candidate must not hold dual citizenship of which one is from a developed economy. If the awardee obtains citizenship of a developing country after obtaining the fellowship, the scholarship will be discontinued from the date she gets the additional citizenship.
- The applicant must plan to enrol in a PhD programme or post-doctorate research in science, technology, engineering, and management domains. The fellowship will be awarded only after the applicant has entered the programmes mentioned above.
- The candidate must have an exceptional academic record.
- The applicant must be willing to move back to her native country after completing the doctoral programme or post-doctoral research to work toward the country’s socio-economic development.
- The applicant must prove their mettle in their homeland by using their knowledge to attain a position in the STEM faculty as an academician or research scholar; start a career as a STEM entrepreneur to fix the indigenous challenges in her local region.; or enter the public sector by using her scientific skills and knowledge to contribute toward evidence-based assistance to STEM policymaking and reducing the gender gap in this sector.
To apply for Schlumberger Foundation Scholarships one must follow the below-mentioned instructions:
- Visit the official website of the Faculty of Future (fftf.slb.com)
- Register yourself if you are a new applicant.
- Log in to your account using your credentials, if you are a renewal applicant.
- Log in using your username and password received in your email if you are a Referee
- All new applicants, renewal applicants, and referees must change their password after logging into their accounts by clicking on the “Account Settings” option in your accounts.
- Log in using your credentials and apply for the Future of the Faculty fellowship.
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Provide all the information about fellowships/sponsorships/scholarships from other sources.
- After the provision of sources of funding/s, applications will undergo four rounds of selection.
- The final selection will be based on academic performance, quality of the university in which you wish to pursue PhD or post-doctoral research, quality of preferences; level of commitment and degree of intent to return to your homeland, commitment to pursuing a career in STEM, determination to encouraging women and girls entering STEM disciplines and careers, and applicability of research to native country.
Also Read: PhD Scholarships in Germany
Ans. These fellowships are granted to women from emerging economies and developing countries preparing for PhD in STEM-dominated fields or post-doctoral study in this field. These women must commit to using their knowledge and skills to improve the socio-economic conditions of their home countries.
Ans. Female citizens from developing nations or emerging economies with an underrepresentation of women in STEM disciplines can apply for this scholarship.
Ans. You can apply for Schlumberger scholarships through the official website of the Future of the faculty programme by the SLB Foundation. The applicant must be willing to move back to her native country after completing the doctoral programme or post-doctoral research to work toward the country’s socio-economic development.
Learn about different types of scholarships, fellowships, and grants for higher education on Leverage Edu.