If you often get ecstatic while stargazing and are a huge fan of starry, limitless skies with coruscating colours sprinkled all over them like an astounding painting, then Norway is the one place you ought to check right now! Although one cannot remain stoic after witnessing the picturesque natural beauty of the country, Norway does have much to offer than just the northern lights, deep coastal fjords, dog sledging, the SAMI culture and the enchanting aurora borealis. It is the quality of education. And if you are contemplating studying MBBS abroad, then there is no better option other than the land of the midnight sun. And why is that? Well, you will surely get to know that once you’ve reached the end of this article.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study in Norway?
There are multiple reasons why students choose to study MBBS in Norway, some of them are listed below:
- Norway ranks at the top with the highest rate of productivity per worker.
- Compared to the United Kingdom, Norway has 50% more gross domestic product per hour.
- The Scandinavian leadership model in Norway believes in equality, often endorsing a flat hierarchy, which in turn results in a much more effective and operative work culture.
- The place is gorgeous. Period. If you are a sucker for hiking and picturesque landscapes, then Norway is the place for you!
- Compared to other nations, Norway is much safer to live in with a low crime rate.
- Having an unemployment rate of about 3.6 per cent ( as of JUNE 2019) and a decent labour market, there are a plethora of opportunities for students to thrive.
- Housing several international corporations along with extensive foreign trade, the country is ideal for those who want to build a career there.
- With an open economy, the country encompasses a multitude of international corporations, making it ideal for those looking to build a career in the land of the midnight sun.
Why Should One Study MBBS in Norway?
Okay, so now you know why Norway can be lucrative for students wanting to study abroad. But, let’s say you want to pursue a career in the medical field specifically and want to go to Norway just for MBBS. Is that even viable? You may ask. And, the answer is yes. It totally is!
Norway is a great option for those who want to pursue their MBBS. And one of the most common queries that come up from students wanting to pursue an MBBS in Norway is- “Okay, so I want to study MBBS in Norway, but should I proceed further?”. The answer is again a big yes! Let’s see why:
- Unlike some other nations, travelling to Norway will not be heavy on your pockets!
- The country provides accredited medical programs for MBBS students.
- English is the primary mode of teaching in the country.
- Norway allows students to practice out of the nation (once the students have cleared MBBS from there).
- Norway endorses a unified problem-based learning approach, resulting in students getting better exposure in their respective fields.
- Studying MBBS in Norwegian institutions can be a great learning curve for Indian students, thanks to their advanced teaching techniques, outstanding facilities and well-established infrastructure
- The place is safe and inclusive for international students.
- Donation/capitation fee is not a requisite for students to study in Norway universities/colleges.
- Students will be provided with a world-class education and that too, at an affordable package.
- Extensive boarding and lodging system for international students.
- Easy admission procedure for MBBS
- Lifestyle expenses are comparatively lower in NORWAY compared to any other country.
- Entrance exams are not required for MBBS in NORWAY.
Okay, so that was all about why one should pursue their higher education, and that too MBBS in Norway.
Top Universities in Norway for MBBS
To help you with the question of “where should one study MBBS in Norway?” here is a list of top universities for MBBS in NORWAY, specially shortlisted and curated for you by us at Leverage Edu.
|Name of the University
|QS World Ranking
|University of Oslo
|University of Bergen
|Norwegian University of Science and Technology
|University of Tromso
|Norwegian School of Sport Sciences
|Oslo and Akershus University College
Must Read: Universities in Norway
MBBS Requirements in Norway
Well, to help you with that, the following tables will clarify all your doubts regarding the requisite documents and the eligibility criteria for pursuing MBBS in NORWAY.
Eligibility criteria for MBBS in Norway
|Eligibility criteria for students:
|Students with a minimum average score of 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in their 12th standard are considered eligible.
|The minimum age considered eligible to apply for Norway Medical College/Universities is 17 years.
|Students applying for MBBS in NORWAY must qualify for their NEET examinations.
|The maximum age limit for applying is 25 years.
|Students must be proficient in English.
|Guardians of the concerned student must have sufficient funds to pay the fees to Norway Medical College.
|Documents required for admission :
|Application form filled with all the correct details.
|Passport ( Original/photocopies)
|Passport size photographs (3 X 4 cm)
|Transfer and leaving certificate from the prior school
|Certificate of code of conduct
|Bank copy of guardians
|Complete medical checkup
Cost of Studying MBBS in Norway
As you may have understood by now, Norway is not very taxing on the wallet. And this is true for both- Living and tuition expenses. It is the ideal country for pursuing education abroad if your budget is tight. But, how pocket-friendly is the country in reality? Let’s see
Cost of studying
Did you know that you don’t have to pay any tuition fees for most Norwegian public universities? Yes. It is true! If you are an international student planning to pursue your MBBS degree from Norway, then you are in for a ride.
Norway offers undergraduate degree courses, Master’s programmes and PhDs for all international students regardless of their nationality or ethnicity, without even charging a single buck! Amazing, isn’t it? The only catch here is that you will need to pay a ‘Student Union Fee’, which costs approximately between 30 – 60 EUR per semester.
And if you want to opt for MBBS in any one of the private universities in Norway, then you will have to pay between:
- 7,000-9,000 EUR ( 6- 8 lakh INR ) per year for Bachelor’s programmes.
- 9,000- 19,000 EUR ( 8- 16 lakh INR) per year for Master’s programmes.
Cost of living
The average living cost in Norway is 800 – 1,400 EUR/month ( 1 lakh INR). In the bustling cities of Norway, you can expect the rate of living to go comparatively higher. For example:
- Oslo: 1,200 – 2,000 EUR ( 1 lakh INR- 2 lakh INR)
- Bergen: 1,100 – 1,800 EUR ( 95 thousand- 1 lakh 56 thousand INR)
- Tromso and Trondheim: 1,000- 1,600 EUR ( 86 thousand- 1 lakh 38 thousand INR)
Accommodations in Norway will cost you around 300-700 EUR/month ( 60 thousand INR) on average.
Jobs and Salary
The average salary of a Norwegian doctor ranges between 1,78,215 Norwegian Krone (15 lakh INR) – 2, and 13,8511 Norwegian Krone (18 lakh INR) monthly. This salary range is for those who have just completed their MBBS or are freshers. Prospects working more than 12 hours a day will be fined in NORWAY. This is the reason people working in NORWAY are able to balance both work and personal life. A flat work hierarchy is followed in NORWAY which ensures there is no dissonance between the employers and the employees.
Must Read: Norway Visa for Indians
A majority of medical colleges/universities provide free higher education to international students. Students prospecting to study MBBS in Norway are required to pay only the semester fee of 30-6- EUR for the student union. Private institutions in NORWAY, however, may charge some fees.
Students pursuing their MBBS in NORWAY can easily practice in INDIA because the degree is applicable and valid in both countries.
Qualifying for the NEET examination is a mandate for candidates who want to pursue BDS or MBBS in Norway.
With that being said, NORWAY is a fantastic destination for pursuing higher education in MBBS. Studying in the land of the midnight sun can open up a huge portal of lucrative work opportunities and exposure for international students. For more such notifications regarding MBBS courses in Norway, keep an eye on Leverage Edu, and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter.