Music has been an integral part of human life for thousands of years, and the study of music continues to evolve and expand. One of the highest levels of academic achievement in music is the Doctorate of Musical Arts (DMA) degree. This advanced degree is designed for musicians who wish to specialize in their area of musical expertise, and it offers many opportunities for personal and professional growth. In this article, we will explore the salary and benefits of holding a DMA, the steps required to earn this degree, and the availability of online music courses.
|Course Level||Doctoral Degree|
|Course Name||Doctorate Of Musical Arts|
|Course Duration||3-5 Year|
|Eligibility||Post Graduate from a recognised University|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 20,000- INR 1Lakhs|
|Job Opportunities||Musician, Lecturer, Artist, Visualization Professional, Illustrator Designer, Researcher|
This Blog Includes:
- The Benefits of Holding a Doctorate of Musical Arts
- Top Abroad Universities Offering Online Doctorate of Musical Art
- Colleges/Universities in India Offering Doctorate of Musical Art
- Skills Required for a Doctorate of Musical Arts
- Eligibility Criteria For Doctorate of Musical Arts
- Admission Process for Doctorate of Musical Arts
- Career and Scope For the Doctorate of Musical Arts
The Benefits of Holding a Doctorate of Musical Arts
The DMA degree is widely recognized as a mark of excellence in the music field. Graduates of DMA programs often hold high-level positions in academia, performance, and administration. Some of the benefits of holding a DMA include:
- Increased earning potential: According to recent studies, individuals with a DMA degree tend to earn higher salaries than those with a Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree in music.
- Professional recognition: A DMA degree is a sign of exceptional achievement and is respected by music professionals and employers.
- Opportunities for advancement: Individuals with a DMA degree are eligible for leadership and management positions in academia, performance, and administration.
- Personal growth: The process of earning a DMA degree can be challenging and rewarding, and it offers opportunities for personal growth and development.
Top Abroad Universities Offering Online Doctorate of Musical Art
These are the Top Universities that offer student online programs in Doctorate of Musical Art:
|Boston University||Online DMA in Music Education|
|The University of South Africa||DLitt et Phil in Musicology|
|Monash University||PhD in Music Composition|
|University of Birmingham||PhD in Musicology|
|University of Southern Queensland||PhD in Creative Arts and the Media|
|University of Winchester||D.C.A. in Performing Arts|
Colleges/Universities in India Offering Doctorate of Musical Art
These are some of the university that offers a Doctorate program in Musical Art
|Banaras Hindu University||Banaras||10,000INR|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||37,000INR|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||Madurai||81,700INR|
ALSO READ: All About Bachelor of Music
Skills Required for a Doctorate of Musical Arts
Skills Required For Doctorate Of Musical Arts:
- Advanced knowledge of current compositional techniques and materials, as well as the development of a distinctive voice.
- knowledge of tonal and post-tonal score analysis.
- knowledge of and competence in related fields such as theory, ethnomusicology, and musicology.
The Steps to Earning a Doctorate of Musical Arts Degree:
Earning a DMA degree requires a significant investment of time, effort, and resources. The following are the general steps to earning a DMA degree:
- Earn a Bachelor’s degree in music or a related field
- Earn a Master’s degree in music or a related field
- Apply to DMA programs at accredited institutions
- Complete required coursework and exams
- Complete a dissertation or creative project
- Defend your dissertation or creative project before a panel of experts
Eligibility Criteria For Doctorate of Musical Arts
The eligibility criteria for pursuing a Doctorate of Musical Arts will vary depending on the country/university. Hence, we have provided you with general entry requirements for the Doctorate of Musical Arts in India and Abroad.
- Candidate must be a Master in Music with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- Admission of a candidate is based upon the score of the entrance exam. After the examination, based on the score, a merit list is prepared and students can take admission based on the cut-off.
- The candidate visits the website of the university and also visits the admission centre of the same institute.
In order to pursue a Doctorate of Musical Art In abroad, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Students must have a Master’s degree in Music or a related field. With an aggregate of 60 per cent
- The candidate will be asked to submit the English language proficiency test scores like IELTS and TOEFL
English Language Requirements
In the admission, process candidates may be required to prove their English proficiency. Here is the minimum score required to pursue a Master’s In Education abroad, score can vary, depending on the university eligibility criteria:
|IELTS||Overall 7||Overall 7||Overall 7|
ALSO READ: All About English Proficiency Tests
Admission Process for Doctorate of Musical Arts
Admission to the Doctorate of Musical Arts in music may be based on merit or an admission exam.
- For the purpose of making the final applicant selection, the majority of colleges use an interview process.
- You can obtain admissions applications via the university’s website or by going to the admissions office of the same institution.
- Candidates must complete the necessary information in accordance with the current documentation.
These are some Top Entrance exams:
- BHU RET.
- Academic Transcripts
- Post-graduation transcript if completed
- Evidence of citizenship (Passport)
- Name and contact details of two professional references.
- CV/ Resume (updated)
- Letter of Recommendation
- English Language Proficiency Test Score
- Statement of Purpose
Career and Scope For the Doctorate of Musical Arts
After pursuing a Doctorate In Music, candidates can find job opportunities in many fields, both in India as well as in foreign nations
- The job roles include Music, Music director, Music teacher, Vocalist, Songwriter, Producer, Performing, musician, Music, Editor, Lyricist, Music publisher, Musician, etc.
Job Prospect and Salary
Some of the job options are mentioned below:
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Music producer||INR 3,25,000|
|Music Therapist||INR 2,40,000|
|Private Music Teacher||INR 2,55,000|
|Sound Designer||INR 3,48,000|
|Sound Engineer||INR 4,10,900|
Ans. The average salary for individuals with a DMA degree varies depending on the individual’s area of expertise and location. According to recent studies, individuals with a DMA degree in music performance tend to earn higher salaries than those with a Master’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree in music.
Ans. The typical length of a DMA program varies depending on the institution and the individual’s area of study, but most programs take between 3 to 5 years to complete.
Ans. The admission requirements for a DMA program vary depending on the institution, but most programs require applicants to have a Bachelor’s degree in music or a related field and a Master’s degree in music or a related field. Additionally, applicants may be required to submit transcripts, recommendations, portfolios, and test scores.
This was all about the Doctorate of Muiscial Art Stay tuned to Wings by Leverage Edu for more such informative blogs. If you want to know more about us, our experts can help you explore the various programs offered around the world and assist you in your study abroad journey. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session