As the first Prime Minister of Independent India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru became an iconic figure of inspiration for the shattered hopes and dreams of those who had lost loved ones in India’s struggle for freedom. In August 1964 a committee of 110 members including the then President Dr S. Radhakrishnan as chairman introduced the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund. Also shortly known as the JNMF, the fund was rightly named in memory of the Prime Minister of India who was fond of children and always promoted education and empowerment of youth. Each year now the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund offers scholarships for PhD students to pursue their studies without hassle. Let’s explore this blog, to know about Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarship in detail
|Name of the Scholarship||Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarships|
|Conducting Body||Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund|
|Funding||Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund|
|Applicable to||Doctoral students of Social Sciences|
|Mode of Application||Offline|
|Official Website for application||https://www.jnmf.in/|
This Blog Includes:
The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarship is offered to students every year to help them excel in their careers. To apply timely it is essential that the applicants remain aware of the dates and deadlines for the scholarship. The candidates need to note that the application process for the year 2022 was delayed from the regular cycle of the scholarship.
The application form has to be posted to the Administrative Secretary of the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund. The postal address will be Teen Murti House, New Delhi-110 011. Some of the important dates regarding the recent applications are given below
|Release of Notification for 2023||10 December 2023|
|Application Deadline for 2023||31 May 2023|
|Notifications for the Next round of Applications||End of June every year|
|General Application Deadline||31 August Every year|
|Interview for selected candidates||January or February|
It is mentioned that the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarship is applicable only to candidates pursuing PhD programs. There are other criteria that are considered in an application before granting the scholarship.
Nationality of Candidature
The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarships is a way of promoting education at a Doctorate level. The idea of promoting research-based studies is to enrich knowledge on the subjects the scholarship is directed towards. Considering these, the scholarship is offered to the following.
- Indian Nationals
- Nationals from any other Asian Nations
Specialisation of Studies
The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarships are directed towards a specific section of studies and are not available for research in all subjects. The various areas of specialized research are given below.
- History of India and Indian Civilizations
- Comparative Studies in Religion and Culture
- Ecology and Environment
Details of the Scholarship
The JNMF PhD Scholarships are offered for a fixed time period of time in the duration of the applicant’s studies. The various details about the allotment of scholarships are given below.
- The Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarships are offered for a period of 2 years only.
- As a part of the scholarship award, the beneficiary is offered a maintenance allowance of INR 18,000 per month which also includes their tuition fees.
- For purchasing books, stationary and study tours within India the candidate is also offered a contingent fund of INR 15,000 annually.
There are a certain set of criteria that the candidates have to fulfil before filling out the application forms. The applications with missing documents or ineligible according to the guidelines of the authorities will not be called for the interview.
At the time of interviewing the candidates also have to present the original documents. A few things to check before applying for the scholarship are mentioned below:
- The post-graduation degree of the candidate should be in the First Division category. The minimum percentage of marks required is 60% at the graduate and post-graduate levels.
- The applicant must also hold the enrolment letter or admission letter for a PhD degree at a reputed Indian University or Institute. The candidates whose applications are under process by the universities will be deemed ineligible by the fund.
- The candidate must necessarily be enrolled in a full-time PhD program.
- In the year of application, the candidate must not be above the age of 35 years as of the 1st of October.
- For OBC-NCL, SC, ST, PwD, Women, and third Gender candidates a relaxation of 5 years is duly granted.
- Based on the number of years in service in the Armed Forces an extension of up to 5 years in age limit is also given.
To successfully apply for the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarships the candidates must not fail to submit the following documents.
- A passport-size photograph is required, attached on the first page of the application form.
- A summary of the PhD subject’s project proposal should be submitted in the mentioned format.
- A report or recommendation by the Doctoral Monitoring Committee or Supervisor.
- Candidates also have to submit a Demand Draft or Postal Order of INR 100 along with the application form. SC and ST candidates are exempted from the fee.
- Certificate of Registration under the PhD program.
- Certified proofs of candidates applying under the reservation category.
Also Read: Fully-Funded PhD Programs
The process of applying for the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarships is as follows. The candidates have to make sure that they do so on time.
- Visit the official website of JNMF.
- Click on the Scholarship Tab and select ‘Application Form’. Download the application form as it opens on the screen.
- Fill out the complete application form carefully.
- Attach the necessary documents and Demand Draft.
- Post it at the abovementioned address.
To get a scholarship for PhD in India, the foremost step is to research the various scholarships and make a calendar for their application timelines. Check the criteria of courses and eligibility of the candidature. Apply before the deadline and prepare for the interview. For Scholarships to be sent by post the candidates should make sure that they have applied early enough for the post to reach the office before the deadline.
The full form of JNMF is Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund PhD Scholarships. It is funded by the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund and is applicable only to the Doctorate level of studies. The scholarship is offered only to students pursuing specific subjects for a period of 2 years.
The JNMF Scholarships are applicable to students from India and other Asian Countries only. The students willing to go for PhD specialisation in the History of India and Indian Civilizations, Economics, Sociology, Comparative Studies in Religion and Culture, Ecology and Environment