Bishop Cotton School is a residential boys’ school located in Shimla. It is one of the oldest boarding schools in Asia. The school was founded by Bishop Edward Lynch Cotton in 1859. The junior students of the school live in dormitories under the direct care and supervision of wardens. However, from class 9th onwards students move up to the main school and live with other boys in their respective houses. The school is known for giving equal importance to academics and extracurricular activities. Keep reading to know more about the Bishop Cotton School facilities, the admission process, and more.
|School Name||Bishop Cotton School|
|School Type||Private Boarding School|
|Education||Class 3- Class 12|
|School Address||Near UCO Bank B.C.S. New Shimla, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171009|
This Blog Includes:
Why Study at the Bishop Cotton School?
Bishop Cotton School is an English medium school affiliated with the CISCE. It is a boarding school meant for boys. There are plenty of reasons why students should choose the school. Some of them are as follows:
- The Bishop Cotton School gives equal emphasis to the extracurricular activities and academics of the students. In addition to the basic physical training, students are given coaching in cricket, football, hockey, basketball, and other sports.
- The hygiene of the students is taken care of. That is, students are required to bathe every day. Clothes are laundered on campus, and boys are given a fresh set of clothes 3 times a week. Moreover, bed linen is changed once a week. In fact, due to the hygiene practices, it was the only school that was allowed to stay open during the pandemic.
- Several clubs exist to meet the interest of the boys. For example, the quizzing club, and the creative writing club.
- The school teaches the student respect for all religions. For example, the morning chapel service is attended by all students. Moreover, both Christian and Hindu festivals are celebrated in the campus.
Bishop Cotton School Admission Process
The admission requirements of each school are different. The admissions are mainly granted on the basis of merit. Some of the things that students need to keep in mind while seeking admission are as follows:
- The academic session commences after the winter break in February and ends on 30th November each year.
- The entry points are granted to students from class 3 to class 5. Admission is possible for students from class 6th to class 9th. However, there are only limited seats. Therefore, seats will be granted on the basis of the merit of the student and on the basis of availability.
- If seats are not available, then the student’s name will be listed under the waiting list. Moreover, even this will be on the basis of the merit of the student.
The School requires the student to undertake a test. The admission will be granted on the basis of the examination conducted by the school. The examination will be conducted for a duration of 40 minutes. Moreover, the test would be conducted in English. Some of the main topics that will be covered are as follows. Do note that there is no sample paper available and a syllabus provided for the examination.
- Written tests in English, Hindi, Mathematics, and General Awareness
- A reading assessment
- Verbal and non-verbal assessment: The assessment is conducted to check whether the student can cope up with life at the residential school.
Also Read: DPS Admission 2023
Generally, the entrance test for school admissions is conducted in the month of September. It is applicable to students from class 3 and above. Students residing abroad or at a distance can opt for an online interview process. Plenty of international students study at the Bishop Cotton School. Hence, this online interview process is possible. However, the main examination centers in India are as follows:
What is the Fees of Bishop Cotton Boys School?
The fees for students from India and Nepal are the same. However, fees are different for overseas students. Moreover, the fees deposited are divided into refundable and non-refundable. Parents also have to deposit additional fees as pocket money to the boy’s personal account. The Bishop Cotton School Fees are as follows:
|Non Refundable (One time payment)|
|Domicile||Prospectus||Registration||Admission||Amount Refundable (Leaving school)|
|India & Nepal||INR 1500||INR 10,000||INR 65,000||INR 50,000|
|International||INR 3500||INR 27,000||INR 1 lakh||INR 86,000|
|Domicile||Class 3 to 10||Class 11 and 12||Imprest against Bill|
|India and Nepal||INR 4.92 lakh||INR 5.24 lakh||INR 60,000|
|International Students||INR 8.72 lakh||INR 8.72 lakh||INR 60,000|
|Pocket Money to Students By Parents|
|Class||Amount Per Annum|
|Class 3- class 5||INR 5000|
|Class 6 – class 12||INR 10,000|
The Boarding Experience
The Boarding experience at the school is excellent. Students here can stay away from the pollution of modern cities and can focus on their academics and extracurricular activities. Accommodation is provided to students from classes 3- 8 at the guidance of the wardens. Later on, they are shifted to the main school where they live with other boys in their respective houses. Plenty of extracurricular activities are also emphasized upon. For example, public speaking, drama, music, pastoral care, and spiritual development activities keep the student engaged. Ruskin Bond, is an alumni of the Bishop Cotton School.
It is built around 56 acres of land, in Himachal Pradesh. It is a K-12 boarding school offering full boarding options. The school is perfect for the upbringing of boys as it provides several facilities. Some of the main facilities that can be availed by the students are as follows:
- Bishop Cotton School Accommodation
- Library and computer lab facilities
- Food and catering facilities
- Laundry facilities (3 times a week)
- 8000 liter diesel boiler to provide hot water
- Play area for students
Ruskin Bond (Author), Brijesh Patel (former Indian cricketer), Nandan Nilekani (the chief architect of the Aadhar Card), and Prabhu Ganeshan, (sensational Tamil actor and producer) are some of the alumni of the Bishop Cotton School.
The Bishop Cotton School is ranked 3rd among the boarding schools in India. The data provided is as per the Times of India.
The Bishop Cotton School is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE) board. However, students from any other recognised board such as CBSE are eligible to take admission in the school.
The Bishop Cotton School is a boys’ residential school. The school is located in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. The school admits Indian students, students from Nepal, and other countries. The residential school ensures the overall development of the students by giving equal importance to co-curricular activities. The admissions are open in the month of September. To discover more articles like this one, consult the study abroad experts at Leverage Edu.