Summary: NCERT Class 6 Civics Chapter 6
In NCERT Class 6 Chapter 6 Urban Administration, we learn about how cities are managed. The government has special people called ‘municipalities’ and ‘municipal corporations’ who take care of cities. They make sure that the city is clean, the roads are good, and the water supply is regular. We also find out about the Mayor, who is the leader of the city. They help in making important decisions for the city. The Mayor’s team includes councilors who represent different parts of the city. We understand how taxes play a crucial role in running the city. People pay different types of taxes like property tax and water tax. These taxes are used to provide services like garbage collection and building roads. We learn about the difference between rural and urban areas. Urban areas are places with more buildings, roads, and businesses, while rural areas have more farms and open spaces.
Knowing about urban administration helps us understand how cities work and how they can be made better for everyone.
Read this blog “Full Form of PDO” to learn more about Panchayat Development Officer.
Important Questions and Answers in Class 6 Civics Chapter 6
1. Why did the children go to Yasmin Khala’s house?
Ans. The children went to Yasmin Khala’s house because she was known for telling interesting stories and they enjoyed spending time with her.
2. List four ways in which the work of the Municipal Corporation affects the life of a city-dweller.
Ans. The work of the Municipal Corporation affects city-dwellers in these ways:
a. Providing clean water for daily use.
b. Maintaining roads and streets for smooth transportation.
c. Managing waste disposal to keep the city clean.
d. Ensuring public places like parks are well-maintained for recreation.
3. Who is a Municipal Councillor?
Ans. A Municipal Councillor is a person elected by the residents of a specific area within a city. They represent the concerns and needs of their area in the Municipal Corporation meetings.
4. What did Gangabai do and why?
Ans. Gangabai worked to keep her neighbourhood clean. She did this because she believed that a clean environment is important for everyone’s health and well-being.
5. How does the Municipal Corporation earn the money to do its work?
Ans. The Municipal Corporation earns money through various means, including property taxes, fees for services like waste collection, fines, and grants from higher levels of government. This money is used to carry out essential services and maintain the city’s infrastructure.
Photo 1 Photo 2
In the two photographs, you see different ways of collecting and disposing of garbage.
i) Which way do you think provides safety to the person disposing of garbage?
The 2nd photo shows the right and safer way of disposing of garbage.
ii) What are the dangers of collecting garbage in the manner shown in the first photograph?
The person collecting garbage will fall sick due to various diseases.
iii) Why do you think that proper ways of disposing of garbage are not available to those who work in municipalities?
One reason could be due to the apathy of the concerned officials. The other reason could be a lack of funds.
7. Several poor people in the city work as domestic servants as well as work for the Corporation, keeping the city clean. Yet the slums in which they live are quite filthy. This is because these slums seldom have any water and sanitation facilities. The reason often given by the Municipal Corporation is that the land in which the poor have set up their homes does not belong to them and that slum-dwellers do not pay taxes. However, people living in middle-class neighborhoods pay very little in taxes compared to the amount of money the corporation spends on in setting up parks, street lighting facilities, regular garbage collection etc. Also as you read in this chapter, the property taxes collected by the Municipality make up only 25-30 percent of its money. Why do you think it is important that the Corporation should spend more money on slum localities? Why is it important that the Municipal Corporation provide the poor in the city with the same facilities that the rich get?
Ans. It’s important for the Corporation to spend more money on slum areas because everyone deserves basic amenities like clean water and sanitation, regardless of where they live. Even though slum-dwellers may not pay property taxes, it’s not fair to deny them these essential services. The Corporation should treat all citizens equally and provide them with the same facilities because it’s a matter of fairness and justice. The people in middle-class neighborhoods might pay taxes, but they also receive a lot of benefits like parks, street lights, and garbage collection. So, it’s only fair that slum areas receive attention and resources too.
|CBSE NCERT Notes Class 6 English
|CBSE NCERT Notes Class 6 History
|CBSE NCERT Notes Class 6 Geography
|CBSE NCERTNotes Class 6 Civics
|CBSE NCERT Notes Class 6 Mathematics
|CBSE Notes of Class 6 Science
Explore NCERT Class 6 Notes for other subjects:
Ans: In Civics Class 6 Chapter 6 Urban Administration, we learn about how cities are managed. The government has special people called ‘municipalities’ and ‘municipal corporations’ who take care of cities. They make sure that the city is clean, the roads are good, and the water supply is regular.
Ans: Learning about urban administration helps us understand how cities work and how they can be made better for everyone.
Ans: A Municipal Councillor is a person elected by the residents of a specific area within a city. They represent the concerns and needs of their area in the Municipal Corporation meetings.
Follow Leverage Edu for complete study material on CBSE Notes of Class 6 Civics