The full form of CLR is Common Language Runtime. It is a part of Microsoft’s .NET Framework and helps in managing the execution of programs written in different supported languages. In this way, the CLR helps to share common object-oriented classes written in different languages. For this, CLR modifies the program by reconstructing the source code into a byte code format. This is further known as Common Intermediate Language (CIL).
Components of CLR
Here are the main components of Common Language Runtime:
- Common type system- It provides guidelines for how types will be declared, used, and managed in CLR.
- Common language speciation- It refers to a specific set of rules that is to be followed by all NET-supported languages.
- Garbage collector- This component is commonly used as an automatic memory manager for your application.
- Just-in-time compiler- It helps to convert the MSIL code into machine-specific code.
- Metadata- In simple words, it is the binary information about your program.
- Assemblies- Assemblies consist of the assembly manifest, MSIL code, metadata, and other resources like image files.
Also Read: What is the Full Form of CSR?
.NET CLR Version
The Common Language Runtime updates itself for enhanced performance.
|.NET version||CLR version|
Also Read: What is the Full Form of GET?
Benefits of Common Language Runtime
Here are a few key benefits of CLR:
- Enhances the overall performance
- Provides support for custom attributes
- Fosters object-oriented programming by offering language features like inheritance and overloading
- Offers garbage collection
- Allows the creation of multithreaded applications
- Allows using components developed in other languages
Popular Full Forms
This was all about the CLR full form. You can also check out other interesting full forms like this on our page which has an A-Z full form list. Stay connected with our study abroad experts to find out more!