“No comparison of the simple pleasure of a bike ride.” -John F. Kennedy. A bicycle is a sustainable, affordable, and eco-friendly means of transport that keeps you fit! Honoring bicycling as a way to bring a sustainable form of traveling that can also ensure your physical well-being, World Bicycle Day is celebrated on June 3 every year. Let’s know more about why we celebrate World Bicycle Day, how it is celebrated and how bicycling can make you physically fit and get the fresh air you need!
This Blog Includes:
- Who Founded World Bicycle Day?
- World Bicycle Day History
- When is World Bicycle Day 2022?
- Why is it Celebrated?
- World Bicycle Day Activities
- How to Celebrate the World Bicycle Day?
- Ways to Create Awareness
- How can Bicycling Improve Your Health?
- Why People Love World Bicycle Day
- World Bicycle Day Quotes
- World Bicycle Day FAQs
Check out Mental Health Awareness Month in India
Who Founded World Bicycle Day?
The Polish Social Scientist, Professor Leszek Sibilski is the founder of World Bicycle Day. Teaching in the USA, Sibilski led a campaign with his sociology classes to spread awareness about the UN resolution for world bicycle day. His campaign got colossal cooperation from Turkmenistan and 56 other countries. The logo of the day was originally designed by the UN, which is of blue and white color. It was designed by Isaac Feld and the animation part was done by Professor John E. Swanson, which depicts various bicyclists riding from all over the globe. The hashtag that is used just below the logo is #June3WorldBicycleDay. The main message shown is that the bicycle is for all irrespective of all the differentiation made by mankind. It serves all of humanity.
World Bicycle Day History
Recognizing the bicycle’s uniqueness, longevity, and versatility, as well as the fact that it is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean, and environmentally fit the sustainable mode of transportation that promotes environmental the interests of environmental stewardship and public health, the General Assembly declared June 3rd to be World Bicycle Day.It recommended stakeholders to emphasize and promote bicycle usage as a method of encouraging sustainable development, improving education, especially physical education, for children and young people, boosting health, and preventing disease. sickness, encouraging tolerance, mutual understanding, and respect, and facilitating social inclusion and peaceful culture. The Assembly applauded national and municipal attempts to arrange bicycle rides as a method of improving physical and mental health and well-being, as well as promoting cycling culture in society.
When is World Bicycle Day 2022?
On World Bicycle Day, June 3, ride your concerns away on training wheels or tandem.
Why is it Celebrated?
The most important aspect of World Bicycle Day is that it is global and can be celebrated around the world. Everyone can enjoy a cycle ride, starting from a poor family to Bill Gates! Here are some reasons behind the significance of World Bicycle Day:
- It encourages people about road safety measures and promotes pedestrian safety and bicycle mobility.
- It also appeals to the member states to focus on various developmental projects regarding bicycle awareness and promote bicycles in international, national, local development policies and programs.
- It also promotes road safety and the need to improve transport infrastructure planning and development.
World Bicycle Day Activities
Plan a trip
We are convinced that no matter where you are in the world, your city or town will seem drastically different once you start exploring it by cycle. Many communities have designated bike lanes where you may ride at your own pace and comfort. And many riders enjoy getting out of town to enjoy the sweeping landscapes and wind in their hair exhilaration of country biking.
Acknowledge the worldwide celebration
Dr. Bernhard Ensink, Secretary-General of the European Cyclists’ Federation, said of the United Nations’ recognition of June 3 as World Bicycle Day, “Cycling is a source of social, economic, and environmental advantages, and it brings people together.”
Spread the word
World Bicycle Day is relatively young, having been established by the United Nations General Assembly in April 2018. Inform everyone about this fantastic event.
How to Celebrate the World Bicycle Day?
Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, it is not possible to gather together and celebrate, although this day has been celebrated with full coordination in 2018 and 2019. Generally, people would just roam around the town with their cycles and may organise certain events relating to bicycles. Since social distancing is maintained nowadays, people may just bicycle on their own and enjoy!
Ways to Create Awareness
- In educational institutions, students may be encouraged to use bicycles more than bikes and cars. They should further teach students that riding a bicycle in the early morning gives you a lot of fresh air and keeps a check on your health. Speeches and competitions may be organised to get active participation from students.
- Bicycle rallies are also organised around the world on this day and awareness about the benefits of bicycling for physical health and well-being is ensured.
How can Bicycling Improve Your Health?
Here are some of the most benefits of bicycling on your physical and mental well-being:
- Cycling is an aerobic activity that is good for curing heart disease.
- It is beneficial for the heart, muscles, and lungs and helpful for overall body workout.
- It increases muscle strength and flexibility, especially that of arms and legs.
- It reduces stress and tension.
- It helps in improving cardiovascular fitness and in getting flexible joints.
- It is also beneficial for improving body posture and coordination.
- Strong bones and leg muscles can be achieved by cycling as it helps in burning body fats thus reducing obesity.
- Prevention or management of diseases.
Must Read: World Blood Donor Day
Why People Love World Bicycle Day
It’s great exercise
Millions of individuals use bicycles as their primary mode of transportation, which means they get a healthy dosage of physical exercise as part of their daily routines. World Bicycle Day is the day to join them (if you don’t already ride every day!) in honor of one of history’s greatest creations.
It’s good for the environment
The only power required to ride a bicycle is that of the rider’s feet (or perhaps peddle power). There are also no nasty exhaust gasses to pollute and haze the air.
We get to share the route — and your sense of adventure — with other bike enthusiasts.
World Bicycle Day Quotes
- Save the Planet. Ride a cycle.
- You can’t be sad while riding a cycle.
- Life is like riding a cycle. To keep your balance you’ll have to keep moving. – Albert Einstein.
- When in doubt, pedal it out.
- Ever bike? Now that’s something that makes life worth living.
- “Riding bicycles will not only benefit the individual but the world at large.” – Emeritus Professor of Environmental Policy, Berlin.
World Bicycle Day FAQs
The goal of World Bicycle Day is to celebrate the bicycle’s diversity and distinctiveness, as well as its dependability and sustainability as a form of transportation.
The quantity of calories expended in any activity is entirely dependent on its length and intensity. Cycling is softer on the body and more focused, allowing you to exercise for longer periods of time than running, which employs more muscles.
As of now, World Bicycle Day on June 3 is the only holiday dedicated to honoring the delights of riding.
Thus, we hope that this blog on World Bicycle Day 2022 encouraged you to take out your cycle and go for a breezy ride! Stay tuned to Leverage Edu for more such interesting reads!