What strikes your mind when you hear about Vienna? It has a rich heritage and offers a high quality of life. Ranked 11th by the QS Best Student Cities Rankings, the capital of Austria has been one of the top cities for international students. Known as the ‘City of Dreams, Vienna is a haven for students from around the globe who want to fulfil their global dreams. So, if you are on a budget and want to study in the heart of Europe then top universities in Vienna can be a great start for your European adventures!
This Blog Includes:
- 5 Reasons to Study in Vienna
- Top Universities in Vienna
- University of Vienna
- University of Economics and Business Vienna – WU
- Technische Universität Wien (Vienna University of Technology)
- Lauder Business School
- Medical University of Vienna
- Application Process and Documents Required
- Application Deadlines
- Cost of Studying and Living in Vienna
5 Reasons to Study in Vienna
- Quality of Life: Vienna has the highest quality of living in Europe. Vienna has built a great reputation for itself for being a clean and green city with a good air quality index. Vienna has been ranked 11th in the most recent QS Best Student Cities 2022.
- Safe City: Safety is one of the most important factors when studying abroad alone. Vienna has been ranked 49 of 427 cities globally for safety according to the Numbeo Safety Index.
- A Bilingual City: You get to learn a new language, German in this case. Vienna is a german speaking city. Some universities may expect you to take a German class for your semester credits. But most of the courses are taught in English because lakhs of international students are enrolled every year.
- Low-Tutition Fees: Vienna is affordable for students who want to study abroad. Tuition fees are comparatively lower than that of other European countries. International students can work part time for not more than 20 hours a week. The salary of a part-time job ranges from 800-1000 euros (65,000-85,000 INR) a month. Students therefore become capable of fulfilling their living expenses. Also Vienna is one of the top 50 cities for employment activities which makes it more appealing for students.
- A Rich Culture and Heritage: Heaven for art, music and culture lovers. If you are one of these you may want to study in Vienna. It is home to the World renowned University of Music and Performing Arts. It has 105 degree programmes which allows students to explore more of their skills.
Top Universities in Vienna
|Top Universities||QS World Rankings 2022|
|University of Vienna||=151|
|Technische Universität Wien||=180|
|Vienna University of Economics and Business||–|
|Medical University of Vienna||–|
|University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences||–|
|University of Performing Arts, Vienna||–|
|University of Applied Sciences, Vienna||–|
|University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna||–|
|Lauder Business School||–|
|Diplomatic Academy of Vienna||–|
Must Read: Austrian Government Scholarship
University of Vienna
The University of Vienna is a world-renowned university with a ranking of 151 among the QS World University Rankings as of 2022. It is the largest university in Austria. Being the oldest university in the German-speaking countries, the University of Vienna is historical. Around 94,000 students are enrolled in the University of Vienna. The University of Vienna is the most diverse institute of education in Austria. It offers a wide range of subjects to the students which makes it more interesting. Programs offered by the University of Vienna:
|Bachelors Programs||Masters Programs|
|Astronomy||MSc Applied Economics|
|Biology||MA Philosophy and Economics|
|Business Administration||MSc Environmental Sciences|
|Business Informatics||MSc Physics of the Earth|
|Chemistry||MA English Language and Linguistics|
|Computer Science||MSc Computer Science|
|Political Science||MSc Urban Studies|
|Statistics||MSc Communication Science|
University of Economics and Business Vienna – WU
It is the biggest University of Economics in Europe with at least 22,000 enrolled in the university. If your areas of interest are economics and business, the University of Economics and Business Vienna – WU is the one for you. Below mentioned are some English taught Programs offered by the University of Economics and Business Vienna – WU.
|Program Type||Program Name||Program Duration|
|Bachelors||Business and Economics||6 semester|
|Masters||Business Communication||4 semester|
|Masters||Quantitative Finance||4 semester|
|Masters||Supply Chain Management||4 semester|
|PhD||International Business Taxation||6 semester|
Technische Universität Wien (Vienna University of Technology)
Vienna University of Technology is one of the major universities in Vienna. Being one of the oldest universities in Vienna, founded at least 200 years ago is known for its high-tech and high-quality research. Vienna University Of Technology attracts science enthusiasts from worldwide. It is mainly focused on engineering, computer science, and natural sciences. It offers many English taught courses. Below mentioned are some of the courses offered by the Vienna University Of Technology:
|Bachelor’s Programme Architecture||Master’s Programme Biomedical Engineering|
|Bachelor’s Programme Media Informatics and Visual Computing||Master’s Programme Computational Science and Engineering|
|Bachelor’s Programme Chemical and Process Engineering||Master’s Programme Data Science|
|Bachelor’s Programme Civil Engineering||Master’s Programme Telecommunications|
Lauder Business School
Lauder Business School was founded in 2003 as the University Of Applied Sciences. It is a fully-accredited University of Applied Sciences located in Vienna. It offers English-taught courses both in bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Below are the programs offered by Lauder School of Business:
- Bachelor in International Business Administration
- Master in International Management and Leadership
- Master in Strategic Finance & Business Analytics
Medical University of Vienna
Founded in 1365 as a Medical Faculty of the University of Vienna. The Medical University of Vienna is the largest medical research institution in Austria. It is a renowned medical university in the world which is the reason why students from all over the world come here to study medicine. Below mentioned are some of the programs offered by the Medical University of Vienna:
- Medicine degree programme
- Dentistry degree programme
- Medical Informatics master’s programme
- Molecular Precision Medicine master’s programme
- Doctoral Programme of Applied Medical Science
Application Process and Documents Required
Eligibility requirements for universities in Vienna differ based on the university and the courses. Some universities may want you to know German as some courses are taught in German but Masters are mostly taught in English. There are different requirements for students from EU/EEA Countries and those from Non-EU/EEA countries. India is a Non-EU/EEA country so you must have the following documents to further your application process:
- Photocopy of your passport or ID Card
- Your last academic certificate: High school certificate, Bachelors Certificate if any
- German language proficiency: high school certificate confirming German lessons for at least 4 years or a German language diploma
- English language proficiency: IELTS, TOEFL.
- Some universities may take an entrance exam which usually takes place 6 months before the starting of a program.
- Some universities may also require Oral test, interview and professional experience as well.
For studying in Vienna you must be aware of the application deadlines. Universities in Vienna do not accept any extensions in terms of application delays but may be available in case of remaining seats.
Cost of Studying and Living in Vienna
The average cost of studying and living in Vienna:
|Types of Expenses||Amount (EUR)||Amount (INR)|
|Average Tuition Fees||726 EUR per semester||62,100|
|Living Expenses(accommodation, food, social activities and public transportation)||900 – 1,300 EUR monthly||75,000-85,000|
No. The universities in Vienna offer bachelor’s courses in English and some masters courses too.
Marketing is one of the top courses and is in demand too.
Yes. The University of Medical, Vienna offers many medicine courses but things to keep in mind while going for it are mentioned below:
You should have a C1 level of German. If you do not have any, you’ll be required to study the language first for 2 years.
You need to pass the entrance exam
If you are not an EU citizen you must have an acceptance letter from a university of medicine in your own country
Want to study in the top universities of Europe? Then wait no more, call our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 and get started on your application process!