What blows your mind when you hear about Austria? The land of castles, rich history, well-connected cities, state of the art, and high standard of Living but did you know that Austria is also known for providing quality education to students from around the world? Austria is home to top-ranked universities as many Austrian universities have been ranked among the top universities listed by the renowned QS World University Rankings and Times Higher Education Rankings. Austria has also been ranked among the top happiest, most peaceful and least corrupt countries in the world. So, if you are planning to study abroad in a European country like Austria then start by applying for an Austrian Student Visa. Here’s what you need to know about the Austria Student Visa.
This Blog Includes:
- Austria Student Visa
- Types of Austria Student Visa
- Documents Needed before Applying
- Time to apply for Austria Student Visa
- How to Apply?
- Post-Arrival in Austria
Austria Student Visa
To study in Austria you need to obtain a Student Visa first. However, there are some exceptions for international students if:
- If you are a resident from the EU/EEA or a student living in Switzerland,
- To stay in Austria, you must have financial resources to manage your stay in Austria and necessary documents such as a valid travel passport, identity card and health insurance. If you’re supposed to stay in Austria for more than 3 months then you’ll be required to register with the municipal authorities.
- If you’re from a country that has a visa agreement with Austria.
Austria: Source: VSGIF.com
Types of Austria Student Visa
There are two types of Austria Student Visa depending upon the duration of your course as mentioned below:
|Type of Visa||Purpose|
|Visa C||For students who will be pursuing a short term course of 3 months.|
|Visa D||This is a residence visa that allows students to study and live up to 6 months in Austria.|
- If you have chosen a program that has a duration of fewer than 6 months, then you are only required to attain a Student Visa.
- If you’ve applied for a program that has a duration of more than 6 months, then you will be required to get a Residence Permit along with the Student Visa.
This blog might interest you: Study in Vienna
Documents Needed before Applying
To apply for an Austria Student Visa, you must have the following:
- Valid Passport
- Visa Application form
- Identify photographs
- Outline for your travel (Flight dates, Flight Number, Departure Time)
- Proof of Financial Resources
- Proof of Accommodation either off-campus or on-campus
- Proof of admission (Letter of Acceptance from the University)
- Proof of paid tuition fees at the University
Time to apply for Austria Student Visa
You must apply for an Austria Student Visa at least 3-6 months before your intended arrival in Austria.
How to Apply?
You can start with the Austria Student Visa process with an easy step to step guide as mentioned:
1. Select a University in Austria
Take your time and find the right University and Course that genuinely suits your interest. You’ll have to provide the Letter of Acceptance from the respective University before you apply for the Austria Student Visa. Some universities may ask for an entrance exam so you may be required to pass the exam and then get accepted. Make sure you apply before the application deadlines at the University. The application deadlines may vary for courses that require entrance exams.
|Winter Intake||September starting|
|Summer Intake||February starting|
Universities in Austria
Listed below are some of the best universities in Austria that offer English taught programs:
- University of Vienna
- Vienna University of Technology
- MCI Management Center Innsbruck
- Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences
- University of Applied Sciences Burgenland
- MODUL University Vienna
- Salzburg University of Applied Sciences
- Webster Vienna Private University
- IMC University of Applied Sciences in Krems
- Medical University of Graz
- Medical University of Innsbruck
- Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences
- The University of Innsbruck
2. Fill in the visa application form
The next step is to fill in all the required information and print the application form.
3. Gather the Required Documents
Make sure you keep all the required documents handy before submitting the Visa Application form. Your documents should be in English and must be legalized.
4. Make a Visa Appointment
Now schedule an appointment to submit your application form. Visas are issued by a representative authority such as an Embassy or a Consulate in your country. After scheduling an appointment with the Embassy, submit your final application.
5. Prepare for the Interview
After the submission of your application form, you will be required to give an interview at the Austrian Embassy.
You will have to wait for almost 2-4 weeks to get your Austria Student Visa processed.
Post-Arrival in Austria
The moment you arrive in Austria, make sure to get yourself registered at the registration office within 3 working days of arrival in Austria. If you have a Type D visa then you can apply for a student residence permit in Austria which will further allow you to continue your study program as long as it is required. Also, you wouldn’t need to apply for an entry visa if you renew your permit.
Keep in mind that in order to become eligible for the mentioned permit, you will be required to finish module 1 i.e (Demonstration of basic knowledge of German Language) of the integration agreement.
Are you planning to study in Austria? Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today.