Pharmacists are highly respected in society and enjoy a wide range of career opportunities. They work in private and public sectors of the health industry such as hospitals, drug stores, public health departments, research laboratories, and home health care services. There are many reasons why Australia is such a desirable destination for international students. The country offers world-class education, diverse culture, excellent employment and job opportunities, high standard of living, and a perfect environment to fulfill your dreams. If you’re considering studying for Master of Pharmacy in Australia, you must choose the right course. Read on to know more about the popular colleges and the criteria to study Pharmacy in Australia.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study Master of Pharmacy in Australia?
- Scope of Master of Pharmacy in Australia
- Who Should Enroll in the Australian Master of Pharmacy Programme?
- Master of Pharmacy Australia: Academic Requirements
- Variety of Courses to Pursue in Master of Pharmacy
- Top Universities for Master of Pharmacy in Australia
- Scholarships Available
- Application Process
- Documents Required
- Job Opportunities after Master of Pharmacy in Australia
- Top Recruiters
|Course||Masters of Pharmacy|
|Duration of the course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelors in pharmacy or equivalent|
|Entrance exams||TOEFL, IELTS, PTE|
|Tuition Fees||32,000-55000 AUD per year|
|Jobs||Pharmacist, Lecturer, Pathologist, Clinical Researcher|
|Average Salary||72,000 AUD per year|
Why Study Master of Pharmacy in Australia?
Masters of Pharmacy is a postgraduate degree offered by top universities in Australia. It is offered as an advanced study program for students who have recently completed their Bachelor of Pharmacy or who have been practicing as Pharmacists for some time. Benefits of studying Master of Pharmacy in Australia are as follows:
- Highly sought after qualification due to its focus on research, evidence based practices.
- High standards set by health authorities like National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC).
- This course provides advanced study in pharmacy practice, clinical practice, pharmaceutics and includes practical training in the community and hospital pharmacy.
- The program requires prospective students to submit an application along with their transcripts and a research proposal prior to the selection interview which usually takes place in March.
Scope of Master of Pharmacy in Australia
- The Master of Pharmacy in Australia program is a postgraduate course that equips the candidates with the necessary skills and knowledge required to run a pharmacy successfully.
- The course is offered by reputed Australian universities and is available in different modules.
- The graduates of this course can work in any pharmaceutical company, hospital or clinic as they have gained a rich understanding of the field during their higher studies.
- The duration of the program is two years and requires full time study.
- They are trained on how to apply for government grants if need be for research purposes.
- The curriculum includes topics such as Drug Safety, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Medicinal Chemistry among many others.
- They are trained to assist clients in making proper use of drugs without causing any harm.
- The students are trained to conduct experiments and make formulations based on their knowledge so that they are able to offer effective solutions to clients/patients.
- They can work independently or as part of a team in hospitals, clinics or pharmaceutical companies.
- They can also carry out research in drug discovery & development processes for better healthcare solutions for people.
Did you Know? Sigma has the largest pharmacy-led network in Australia, with over 1,200 branded and independent pharmacies.
Who Should Enroll in the Australian Master of Pharmacy Programme?
Because you will have a wide range of employment opportunities available to you after graduation, this degree is advised for those looking for a flexible career. The programme has a strong medical component, but the skills can also be used in the food or cosmetics production industries. The selection is wide-ranging.
Master of Pharmacy Australia: Academic Requirements
If you are considering a career as a pharmacist, then pursuing Master of Pharmacy in Australia is an excellent option. It will not only provide you with advanced knowledge in pharmacy, but also give you a flexible curriculum with opportunities to undertake research projects in areas of current interest. To study this course, you need to fulfill the following criteria:
- Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 5.0 over 7.0 (equivalent to 65% ), or Graduate Australian Medical Admissions Test (GAMSAT), currently 55 with 50 in each section, or Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), currently 8 (previous test version) / 500 (new test version).
- Have 48 credit points, or equivalent, in six prerequisite subjects at university level:
- Have English language proficiency of IELTS 7.0 overall with 6.5 in each band, TOEFL-96/120.
Variety of Courses to Pursue in Master of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy(Research)-2 years
- Clinical Pharmacy-1 year
- Biopharmaceutical Engineering-2 years
- Medical Device Development-1 year
Top Universities for Master of Pharmacy in Australia
|University||QS World Ranking 2022||Duration in years||Course Fees (per year in AUD)|
|University of Sydney||38||2 years||49,000(INR-26078260)|
|University of Queensland||47||2 years||48,160(INR-25,63,132.82)|
|University of Monash||58||2years(full time)
3 years(part time)
|University of Western Australia||86||2 years||48,600(INR-2586550.15)|
|University of Technology Sydney||138||2 years||90,660(INR-4825033.67)|
|Curtin University||194||2 years||77,600(INR-4129964.85)|
|Griffith University||290||2-2.5 years(full time)||36,000(INR-1915963.07)|
|Macquaire University||200||2 years||36,200(INR-1926607.31)|
Also Read: Top Medical Colleges in Australia
Following is the list of scholarships offered to international students pursuing Master of Pharmacy in Australia.
|Full-Bright Scholarship||1000 – 2500 AUD (INR 53,773-1,34,434)||Fulbright Australia|
|The Westpac future Leaders Scholarship – USYD||120,000 AUD (INR 64,52,857)||University of Sydney|
|Monash Support Scholarship||300 AUD (INR 1,61,321)||Monash University|
|Griffith Family Scholarship||1,000 AUD (INR 53,773)||Griffith University|
|Accommodation Service Merit Scholarship||4,000 AUD (INR 2,15,095)||University of La trobe|
- Visit the official website of the institution.
- Click on ‘Apply Now’ or ‘Register Here’
- Complete filling your education history with all the qualifications.
- Fill in the details of your employment history.
- Fill in your personal statement.
- Submit the application form by paying the mentioned fees.
- All official academic transcripts and grade cards
- Passport size photographs
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Job Opportunities after Master of Pharmacy in Australia
Pharmacy is a profession that has been around for ages and has grown in leaps and bounds. The job market is wide open for pharmacists all over the world. The average income of pharmacists is $99,602 per year or $51.08 per hour. These jobs offer a rewarding career path which attracts many students from all over the world every year.
- As a pharmacist you can work in hospitals, pharmacies, clinics or even open your own drugstore. $51.08 (INR 2720) per hour.
- You can also act as consultants advising patients on drug usage and safety or can practice as compound pharmacists formulating different versions of a drug.
- Many pharmacists fill compound drug prescriptions, which require advanced knowledge of chemistry and biochemistry. These positions can be found at research labs and pharmaceutical companies as well.
In Australia, there is a sizable and ready market for graduates with a master’s degree in pharmacy; the leading recruiting firms are as follows:
- The Chemist Warehouse
- Terry White Pharmacy
- My Chemist
- Pharmacy 777
Did you Know? Pharmacies dispense more than 300 million prescriptions a year.
To know more, Register here for UniConnect by creating an account and interact one on one with top university representatives, apply with one click and secure on-spot offers and scholarships.
2. Medicinal Chemistry
5. Pharmacy Practice
Pharmacy follows medicine as the second most in-demand industry for Australian undergraduates. Medicine undergraduates had the highest full-time employment rate of 95.9%, followed by pharmacy (95.2%), dentistry (86.8%) and rehabilitation (85.7%).
Master of Pharmacy in Australia is 1 to 3 years long in duration.
Yes, International students can definitely apply and study Master of pharmacy in Australia.
Do you want to pursue Master of Pharmacy in Australia? Our Leverage Edu experts have helped thousands of students in reaching their dream university. Get in touch with us at 1800572000 for a 30 minute FREE consultation.