DELF (Diplôme d’études en langue française) is the worldwide recognized official certificate awarded by the French Ministry of Education. The certificate has a lifelong validity and is available for all age groups. The exam is used to assess French language skills amongst different age groups and can be used as a gateway to French universities and exciting jobs in Canada, France, and many other countries.
|Name of the Exam||DELF/DALF|
|Parts of the Exam||Listening (Comprehension Orale)
Speaking (Production Orale)
Reading (Comprehension Ecrite)
Writing (Production Ecrite)
|Overall passing marks||50/100|
|Pass mark per paper||5/25 in each section|
This Blog Includes:
What is the DELF Exam?
The DELF is an abbreviation used for Diplôme d’études en langue française. It is a test for non-native French learners. This test helps in evaluating your level of French language proficiency. Whether you are a beginner or intermediate, this test has levels from A1 to B2 to cover every type of learner. Moreover, DELF is one of the best and most useful diplomas in the field of French, mostly when you want to pursue a job in France or other French-speaking countries like Switzerland, Canada, or Belgium or if you want to take admission at the French university.
Levels of DELF Exam
Here are the different levels of difficulty and certification for the DELF exam:
- DELF A1: Breakthrough or beginner
- DELF A2: Waystage or elementary
- DELF B1: Threshold or intermediate
- DELF B2: Vantage or upper intermediate
- DALF C1: Effective Operational Proficiency or Advanced
- DALF C2: Mastery or proficiency
Importance of The DELF Exam
The DELF exam has immense benefits and is very common nowadays. These benefits include:
- Employment Opportunities: DELF proves to be the solution if you are seeking employment opportunities. If you want to improve your employment prospects then this exam is perfect for you as you can pursue studies and travel or live abroad.
- Common and Beneficial: If you want to pursue a career in French then DELF is your gateway to teaching French in the beautiful country of France or across the globe. The exam not only takes you to French universities but also to the professional business world of French speakers.
- Powerful Diploma: DELF is termed as the most powerful as in this exam you prove French language abilities after evaluation.
- Highly Competitive: This examination has four parts and is highly competitive. The DELF is taken by thousands of students across the globe from all age groups. The test takers are required to demonstrate their French language skills across 4 main components like Writing, Speaking, Listening, and Reading to ace this exam.
The DELF/DALF exam has different levels according to age groups as well as levels of proficiency. The format of the exam:
|Exam Type||Oral Comprehension||Written Comprehension||Written Production||Oral Production|
|DELF A1||20 minutes||30 minutes||45 minutes||6 to 8 minutes with 10 minutes preparation|
|DELF A2||30 minutes||25 minutes||45 minutes||6 to 8 minutes with 10 minutes of preparation|
|DELF B1||25 minutes||45 minutes||45 minutes||15 minutes with 10 minutes of preparation|
|DELF B2||30-minute||60-minute||60-minute||20-minute PO with 30 minutes of preparation|
|DALF C1||40 minutes||50 minutes||2.5 hours||30 minutes with 60 minutes of preparation.|
|DALF C2||3hours 30 minutes||3hours 30 minutes||30 minutes||30 minutes with 60 minutes of preparation.|
- DELF A1 Listening (Comprehension Orale) is of approximately 20 minutes and 25 marks. In this section of comprehension questionnaires, you had to answer 3 or 4 very short recordings of everyday life that would be played twice. Moreover, the maximum duration of the recording would be 3 mins.
- DELF A1 Reading (Comprehension ecrite) is 30 minutes of 25 marks. In this section, you will get comprehension questionnaires that you’ve to answer with 4 or 5 written documents on everyday life.
- DELF A1 Writing (Production ecrite) is 30 minutes of 25 marks. It has two parts in 1st part you have to fill in a record, and a form followed by the 2nd part which is writing simple phrases (postcards, messages, stories, etc.) on everyday topics.
- DELF A1 Speaking (Production orale)is of approximately 5~7 minutes and is about 25 marks. It has 3 parts
- Guided conversation
- Exchanging information
There are four parts to the DELF/DALF exam, namely, Oral Comprehension, Written Comprehension, Written Production, and Oral Production. Each section is given a total mark of 25 and the passing mark for each section is 5 marks. The maximum mark for the exam is 100 and the passing marks are 50 marks.
DELF Exam Fees
There is a slight difference in the fees for international students( studying at Alliance Française) is INR 8850 to 11,800. The table given below shows the fees for each level of DELF.
|DELF Level||Exam fee (Inc GST.)AFD Students||Exam fee (Inc GST.)External Students|
|A1 TP||Rs. 5,310||Rs. 8,850|
|A2 TP||Rs. 5,310||Rs. 8,850|
|B1 TP||Rs. 5,900||Rs. 10,620|
|B2 TP||Rs. 5,900||Rs. 10,620|
|C1 TP||Rs. 8,260||Rs. 11,800|
|C2 TP||Rs. 8,260||Rs. 11,800|
|A1 Junior||Rs. 5,310||Rs. 8,850|
|A2 Junior||Rs. 5,310||Rs. 8,850|
Also Read: All About the TEF Exam
How to Register?
For registration in the DELF examination, you must follow the following steps
- Get in touch with an accredited examination center.
- In 164 countries there are more than 1000 examination centres making it easy for you to find an examination centre irrespective of the location.
- Fill out a registration form in which you have to enter your details. Moreover, this is the same for everyone.
- Then you need to provide a photocopy of your ID card or passport followed by paying the registration fees with the help of accredited examination centers.
DELF Exam Dates 2023
The DELF exam is held multiple times throughout the year. Here are the upcoming dates for the exam:
|Exam Period (Type of Exam)||Registration Dates||Exam Dates|
|March 2023 (Tout Public)||13 February 2023||13/03: A1, 14/03: A3, 15/03 B1, 16/03: B2, 17/03: C1, 18/03: C2|
|April 2023 (DELF Junior)||17 March 2023||17/04: A1, 18/04: A2,19/04: B1, 20/04: B2.|
|April 2023 (DELF Prim)||18 January 2023 to 7 February 2023||18/04: A1.1, 19/04: A2, 20/04: A1|
|June 2023 (Tout Public)||12 May 2023||12/06: A1, 13/06: A2, 14/06: B1,15/06: B2, 16/06: C1, 17/06: C2.|
|July 2023 (DELF Junior and Tout Public)||16 June 2023||17/07: A1 TP, 18/07: A2 TP/B2 J,19/07: B1 TP/B1 J, 20/07: B2 TP/A2 J,21/07: C1 TP/A1 J, 22/07: C2 TP.|
|September 2023 (Tout Public)||11 August 2023||11/09: A1, 12/09: A2, 13/09: B1,14/09: B2, 15/09: C1, 16/09: C2.|
|December 2023 (Tout Public)||3 November 2023||04/12: A1 TP, 05/12: A2 TP/B2 J,06/12: B1 TP/B1 J, 07/12: B2 TP/A2 J,08/12: C1 TP/A1 J, 09/12: C2 TP|
|December 2023 (DELF Prim and DELF Junior)||4 September 2023 to 19 October 2023||13/12: A1.1, A1 J, 14/12: A2, A2 J,15/12: A1, B1 J, 16/12: B2 J.|
Top Institutes for DELF Exam in India
There are only a few centers conducting DELF for junior French language proficiency exams in India. The examination centres in India are given below but some of these change every year.
|North India||Chandigarh, Delhi, Jaipur|
|West India||Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Indore, Bhopal, Mumbai, Pune, Panjim.|
|South India||Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Mysore, Mangalore, Trichy, and Trivandrum|
Also Read: Best Foreign Language Courses
The DELF exam is the official diploma exam for the French Language proficiency of international candidates. It is awarded by the French Ministry of Education.
The full form of DELF Diplôme d’études en langue française i.e. Diploma of French Language Studies.
DELF/DALF exam in India is conducted by Alliance Française (AF).
This was all about the DELF exam. Planning to study and work after learning French? Then the DELF is your gateway to study abroad destinations. Call us at 1800 572 000 and find out all you need to make your dream university a reality today!