Don’t you think it’s time to take the next step from knowing just a few common words in French? When you take the French Language Certificate Courses, you will be able to determine a proper level of competence. French is the 5th most spoken language in the world and an easy to learn language. In both English and French, a French-speaking person or nation is referred to as a Francophone. French is an official language in 29 countries. Bloomberg Businessweek listed French as the third most useful language for business in 2011. Learning a new language not easy but given the right resources, you can learn a new language pretty easily and a certificate course offers you that. In this blog, we have covered all details of the best french language certificate courses.
Why should you take French Language Certificate Courses?
If you are bored by just saying Hello in French, taking a French Language Certificate Course can help you learn much better. The French exam assesses the ability to communicate in French in an actual world. It analyses proficiency in four areas of French (Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening).
These certificates are accepted as evidence of French proficiency for study at a variety of universities. It is accepted by the majority of educational institutions for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Although it is not needed, several colleges prefer international students who have these officials’ French certifications. You can use it as proof of qualification when applying for jobs in companies that require French language skills. Since diplomas from every French certification test are globally recognized, they will certainly look good on your resume.
- How to Become a Language Translator?
- Should you Learn the Local Language Before Studying in Certain Countries?
- Best Foreign Language to Learn
- Mandarin Classes
- The Only Chinese Language Course You Need
Types of French Language Certificate Courses
Here are some of the most well-known French Language Certificate Courses you can pursue.
DILF (Diplôme Initial de Langue Française)
If you are a beginner in French, you can sign up for DILF (Diplôme Initial de Langue Française). The Certificate is issued by the French ministries of national education and higher education. It comes before the DELF and DALF. DILF certifies that the applicant has an elementary level of French, which corresponds to CEFRL level A1.1. The exam assesses skills in four areas: reading, oral, listening and reading. On the day of the test, you must be at least 16 years old. There is only one requirement: the test can only be taken on French territory.
DELF and DALF
DELF and DALF are the two most prestigious French proficiency tests for non-native speakers, awarded by the French Ministry of Education in conjunction with the Centre International d’études pédagogiques (CIEP). Every year, over 300,000 students from all over the world register to take the various DELF/DALF exams.
DELF and DALF are divided into six stages.
- DELF A1: beginner
- DELF A2: elementary
- DELF B1: intermediate
- DELF B2: upper-intermediate
- DALF C1: Advanced
- DALF C2: proficiency (Near-native)
The DELF (Diplôme d’Études en Langue Française) and DALF (Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française) are composed of 6 independent courses.
Passing the DELF or DALF Exams
To receive a certificate, you must achieve a minimum of 5/25 on each module and an average score of 50/100.
Where can I take the DELF/DALF exam?
The DELF/DALF exam can be taken at one of 900 certified test centres in 154 countries. The Alliance Française network in India administers these exams in cities such as New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Coimbatore, Goa, Pondicherry, and others.
Validity of DELF/DALF
DELF and DALF diplomas are valid for life. This ensures you won’t have to retake the exam after a while to prove your fluency.
Different Types of DELF exams
Within the DELF category, there are SIX different tests.
( DELF Primary ) (ages 8-11)
- DELF Prim is intended for children aged 7 to 12 in primary school.
- School-age students who are new to French as a foreign language can enroll in one of three independent levels: A1.1, A1, or A2.
(DELF Jr.) (ages 13 to 18)
- DELF Junior is a new modification of the DELF diplomas for juniors and teenagers. The framework of the exam is similar to that of the DELF for adults, but the topics are geared more toward school-age students aged 13 and up.
- The levels range from A1 to B2.
- It is the DELF’s professional version.
- The aim of the DELF pro is to assess the communication skills of working professionals and students who play an important role in a French-speaking environment.
- DELF Pro is divided into four levels: A1, A2, B1, and B2.
- DELF Scolaire, like DELF junior, is designed for teenagers who are not native French speakers.
- It is also internationally recognised and valid for life, as are all combinations of DELF and DALF.
DELF (Diplôme d’Études en Langue Française)
- DELF is for any French enthusiast over the age of 17, and each of the four DELF diplomas corresponds to a CEFR level ranging from A1 to B2.
- The DELF exam is divided into four sections: oral comprehension, writing comprehension, speaking comprehension, and reading comprehension. DELF Junior and DELF Tout Public diplomas are the same.
The DALF (Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française)
- The DALF is an advanced diploma in French language study.
- The DALF C1 and C2 levels denote advanced or proficient proficiency.
- Since C2 is the highest level of the CEFR, DALF C2 is the highest French diploma as a foreign language.
TEF (Test d’Evaluation de Français)
Unlike DELF and DALF, TEF is a single exam where your score determines the number of points you receive for French language proficiency. TEF, which was established in 1998 by the Paris Ile-de-France CCI, is useful for a variety of purposes, including work permits in Canada and France. All TEF test variants are only valid for two years. The French TEF exams are divided into five categories.
- TEF Études
- TEF Naturalisation
- TEF Carte de résident
- TEF Canada
- TEF Québec – TEFAQ
TCF (Test de Connaissance du Français)
TCF is yet another French language placement exam for non-native French speakers. TCF, as a French language proficiency exam, serves the same purpose as TEF for those seeking to emigrate to Canada or France. It has five types of exams.
- TCF DAP
- TCF for French nationality
- TCF Canada
- TCF for Quebec
The European Language Certificates, abbreviated as TELC, are an international test used to assess language proficiency. The TELC GmbH – Foreign language exams are currently available in 11 languages, including French, and include over 80 different certificates. There are four levels in French (A1, A2, B1, and B2).
- A1- Anyone can take this test after 100-150 hours of French study.
- A1 Junior- Same as A1, but meant for children about 12 years old.
- A2- Anyone can take this test after 200-250 hours of French study.
- A2 Ecole- Same as A2, but meant for children age 12 to 16.
- B1- This test is for those who are at the intermediate French level.
- B1 pour la Profession- Same as B1, but the test focuses more on various work situations.
- B1 Ecole- Same as A2, but meant for adolescents age 14 to 17.
- B2- Anyone can take this exam who has achieved French competence at an advanced level.
Colleges in India offering French Language Certificate Courses
Here are some of the top institutes in the country that offer French Language Certificate Course:
|NIRF RANKING 2020||NAME OF THE COLLEGE||ADMISSION PROCESS||AVERAGE COURSE FEES|
|7||St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata||Merit based||INR 8,200|
|14||Sri Venkateswara College, New Delhi||Merit based||INR 17,000|
|30||Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Khalsa College, New Delhi||Merit based||INR 30,000|
|35||Maitreyi College, New Delhi||Merit based||INR 12,000|
|41||University of Madras||Merit based||INR 3,940|
|46||Integral University, Lucknow||Merit based||INR 6,000|
|77||Keshav Mahavidyalaya, New Delhi||Merit based||INR 5,500|
|95||University of Mumbai, Mumbai||Merit based||INR 5,000|
|101||Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak||Merit based||INR 12,124|
|151||Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra||Merit based||INR 5,898|
Colleges Abroad Offering French Certificate Courses
Here are the top colleges abroad that offer French Certificate Courses:
Intensive French Classes in Geneva (Switzerland)
By ELFI – Ecole de Langue Francaise et d’Informatique
- Enroll in a French language course at a Swiss university (in Geneva).
- Spend four weeks to two years in Switzerland living and learning.
- Monday through Friday, intensive lessons are held.
- Learn from professors who have graduated from prestigious colleges and schools.
- In a certified centre, prepare for the official DELF/DALF exams.
Wright State University
Certain classes cannot be required without risking repetition given the student’s required history in French studies. As a result, the degree will consist of two mandatory courses and 14 elective credit hours chosen from an accepted list of graduate French courses.
Inara Training Institute, UAE
built courses in such a way that they are internationally accredited and accessible at all levels, from beginner to advanced. Each level course consists of ten 20-hour sessions.
- Interactive immersion techniques taught by experienced native speakers
- 30 hours course over a duration of 5 to 7.5 weeks
- Class size of an average of 12
How To Become a Polyglot?
Top 10 Ways to Say Goodbye in Spanish
Language Courses in Germany
Here Are 10 Super Cool Jobs For People Who Know A Foreign Language
Best Colleges For Foreign Languages in India
Online Certificate Courses in French
Here are the online certificate courses available to study French:
Basic French Language Skills for Everyday Life by Alison
- Taught by an engaging and experienced instructor
- Perfect for those who want to learn basic conversational French
- The course comes with free certification
Learn French by Duolingo
- Interactive lessons
- Excellent user experience
- Great design
French Language Studies-Introduction by Alison
- Offers a downloadable digital certificate
- Excellent user experience
- Easy-to-follow modules
That was all about the top French Language Certificate Courses around the world. Learning French can open several doors for you, especially if you plan to study in France or work there. Even if you plan to study in a different country, knowing a new language can help you build your stellar profile. If you are interested in studying in some of the top institutes around the world, book your first Consultation Call with Leverage Edu Today!